    From Thu May 27 11:13:04 2004
    >>From Thu May 27 11:12:11 2004

    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:02:39 +0000
    From: Westpac support <>
    Subject: Official information for all Westpac New Zealand customers
    To: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Sender: Westpac support <>

    <head></head>
    Dear Valued Customer,<br><br>
    We have just installed our new security system<br>
    which will help you to avoid frequently fraud<br>
    transactions and to keep your investments in safety. <br>
    Due to this technical update we are insisting our<br>
    clients to verify reactivate their accounts. <br>
    Please click on the link below and wait while a new window<br>
    opens. Then fill out Westpac account verification form<br>
    and click the 'submit' button. The verification process<br>
    normally takes about 10 seconds but it may take longer<br>
    during certain times of the day. When your information<br>
    will be successfully updated, you will return to the main<br>
    page.<br>
    <a
    href="http://ebay.dasmarket.biz/wnz/jasp.html">https://sec.westpactrust.c
    o.nz/IOLB/newSession</a><br>
    We appreciate your business. It's truly our pleasure to serve you.<br>
    Westpac New Zealand Customer Care <br>
    This email is for notification only. To contact us, <br>
    please log into your account and send a Bank Mail. <br>

    Keith Whitehead, May 27, 2004

  2. Keith Whitehead wrote:
    > What ever you do DO NOT follow the directions in any email claiming to
    > be from your bank, if in doubt ALWAYS ring your local branch and ask
    > them if the bank has sent out this kind of email, the answer will always
    > be NO they do NOT do that.

    > for <>; Thu, 27 May 2004 11:12:11 +1200

    further to that, when posting these sort of messages, be sure to
    anit-spamify your email addy.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 27, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    > Keith Whitehead wrote:
    > > What ever you do DO NOT follow the directions in any email claiming to
    > > be from your bank, if in doubt ALWAYS ring your local branch and ask
    > > them if the bank has sent out this kind of email, the answer will always
    > > be NO they do NOT do that.

    > > for <>; Thu, 27 May 2004
    > > 11:12:11 +1200

    > further to that, when posting these sort of messages, be sure to
    > anit-spamify your email addy.

    Ahh bugger, missed that one, got interrupted at work...oh well I already
    get tons of spam each day.... sigh....

    Dont want spam, May 27, 2004
  4. Keith Whitehead

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Keith Whitehead <> wrote in

    05/27/04 15:57:18 dns 217.129.33.16
    nslookup 217.129.33.16
    Canonical name: ff-217-129-33-16.netvisao.pt
    Addresses:
    217.129.33.16

    05/27/04 15:56:57 dig 217.129.33.16 @ 203.96.152.4
    Dig 16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa@203.96.152.4 ...
    Non-authoritative answer
    Recursive queries supported by this server
    Query for 16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa type=255 class=1
    16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa PTR (Pointer) ff-217-129-33-16.netvisao.pt
    129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns.ripe.net
    129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns.netvisao.pt
    129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns2.netvisao.pt
    ns.netvisao.pt A (Address) 213.228.128.5
    ns2.netvisao.pt A (Address) 213.228.128.6

    ..pt = Portugal

    You could email netvisao's abuse team if you cared enough, but you should
    definetely tell the bank about it so they can take actions if they wish.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 27, 2004
  5. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <Xns94F6A3D679BBdaveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    > Keith Whitehead <> wrote in

    > 05/27/04 15:57:18 dns 217.129.33.16
    > nslookup 217.129.33.16
    > Canonical name: ff-217-129-33-16.netvisao.pt
    > Addresses:
    > 217.129.33.16
    >
    > 05/27/04 15:56:57 dig 217.129.33.16 @ 203.96.152.4
    > Dig 16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa@203.96.152.4 ...
    > Non-authoritative answer
    > Recursive queries supported by this server
    > Query for 16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa type=255 class=1
    > 16.33.129.217.in-addr.arpa PTR (Pointer) ff-217-129-33-16.netvisao.pt
    > 129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns.ripe.net
    > 129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns.netvisao.pt
    > 129.217.in-addr.arpa NS (Nameserver) ns2.netvisao.pt
    > ns.netvisao.pt A (Address) 213.228.128.5
    > ns2.netvisao.pt A (Address) 213.228.128.6
    >
    > .pt = Portugal
    >
    > You could email netvisao's abuse team if you cared enough, but you should
    > definetely tell the bank about it so they can take actions if they wish.
    >
    > Ciao, Dave

    Both were done, the FBI internet fraud center was also informed

    whoisthis, May 27, 2004
  6. In article <No_email_address-6DB47F.11412127052004@mu-
    relay1.massey.ac.nz>, says...
    > What ever you do DO NOT follow the directions in any email claiming to
    > be from your bank, if in doubt ALWAYS ring your local branch and ask
    > them if the bank has sent out this kind of email, the answer will always
    > be NO they do NOT do that.

    The poor English is a dead giveaway, but still it's scary to think that
    some people are so unaware of these scammers that Westpac have actually
    had customers who went to these sites and filled in their details

    Patrick Dunford, May 27, 2004
  7. Keith Whitehead

    Jason M Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:10:05 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >The poor English is a dead giveaway, but still it's scary to think that
    >some people are so unaware of these scammers that Westpac have actually
    >had customers who went to these sites and filled in their details

    Why doesn't some organisation hammer hell out of the IP address that
    the link goes to, as soon as the email first appears? I've had 8 of
    these emails so far.
    This one appears to be linking to ebay.dasmarket.biz 219.129.20.204

    Jason M, May 27, 2004
  8. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    > In article <No_email_address-6DB47F.11412127052004@mu-
    > relay1.massey.ac.nz>, says...
    > > What ever you do DO NOT follow the directions in any email claiming to
    > > be from your bank, if in doubt ALWAYS ring your local branch and ask
    > > them if the bank has sent out this kind of email, the answer will always
    > > be NO they do NOT do that.

    > The poor English is a dead giveaway, but still it's scary to think that
    > some people are so unaware of these scammers that Westpac have actually
    > had customers who went to these sites and filled in their details

    And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we are
    not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go cry
    elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own rewards.

    whoisthis, May 27, 2004
  9. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we are
    > not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go cry
    > elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own rewards.

    Look they are back..... and the english has not improved either. Copy
    sent to the bank, the ISP and the FBI internet fraud centre

    From Fri May 28 07:24:15 2004

    Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:34:27 +0000
    From: Westpac support center <>
    Subject: Official information from Westpac New Zealand
    To: "K.j.whitehead" <>

    whoisthis, May 27, 2004
  10. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we
    > are not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go
    > cry elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own
    > rewards.

    You seem then to think that there is nothing wrong with fraudulently
    impersonating a communication from a bank, obtaining their customer lists,
    setting up fraudulent online transaction systems to harvest credit card
    details, because it is all the customers fault once they are deceived.
    They are criminal activities like those of any paper fraudster and the law
    provides for reparation

    brundlefly, May 27, 2004
  11. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Keith Whitehead wrote:
    >> What ever you do DO NOT follow the directions in any email claiming
    >> be from your bank, if in doubt ALWAYS ring your local branch and ask
    >> them if the bank has sent out this kind of email, the answer will
    >> always
    >> be NO they do NOT do that.

    >> for <>; Thu, 27 May 2004
    >> 11:12:11 +1200

    > further to that, when posting these sort of messages, be sure to
    > anit-spamify your email addy.

    whoisthis ?
    ROTFLMAO

    brundlefly, May 27, 2004
  12. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <p4ttc.4280$>,
    "brundlefly" <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >

    > > And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we
    > > are not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go
    > > cry elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own
    > > rewards.

    > You seem then to think that there is nothing wrong with fraudulently
    > impersonating a communication from a bank, obtaining their customer lists,
    > setting up fraudulent online transaction systems to harvest credit card
    > details, because it is all the customers fault once they are deceived.
    > They are criminal activities like those of any paper fraudster and the law
    > provides for reparation

    NO, I believe if you are stupid enough to give out your details to
    someone else it is YOUR problem not the banks. I am a firm believe that
    fraudsters like this should pay 100% reparation and serve at least 10
    years in prison if reparation is made and 20 if reparation is not made.

    whoisthis, May 28, 2004
  13. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <p4ttc.4280$>,
    > "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    >
    > > whoisthis wrote:
    > >

    > > > And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we
    > > > are not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go
    > > > cry elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own
    > > > rewards.

    > > You seem then to think that there is nothing wrong with fraudulently
    > > impersonating a communication from a bank, obtaining their customer

    lists,
    > > setting up fraudulent online transaction systems to harvest credit card
    > > details, because it is all the customers fault once they are deceived.
    > > They are criminal activities like those of any paper fraudster and the

    law
    > > provides for reparation
    > >

    > NO, I believe if you are stupid enough to give out your details to
    > someone else it is YOUR problem not the banks. I am a firm believe that
    > fraudsters like this should pay 100% reparation and serve at least 10
    > years in prison if reparation is made and 20 if reparation is not made.

    But of course the details would not be given to anyone who wasn't
    impersonating the bank, and it is a problem for the banks, because they have
    now had to send notices to all their customers, some of whom will cease to
    use online banking because of their lack of trust.
    If I was a bank, I wouldn't be saying harhar tuf luk u r owned to my
    customers, I would be saying please please tell us asap if you have
    inadvertantly disclosed your details and we will freeze your transactions,
    and we will put in place procedures to monitor suspicious transactions,
    because that is the sort of service I expect in return for the use of my
    money.
    Westpac are good at this, we frequently do business with our customers
    buying and selling products and services, and they have a system of flagging
    and querying the ones that are outside defined parameters.
    I guess you don't have customers in your business.

    brundlefly, May 28, 2004
  14. In article <p4ttc.4280$>, says...
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >

    > > And the banks official line is...you give your details to anyone, we
    > > are not responsible, if you loose all your money then tough luck go
    > > cry elsewhere. And I agree with the bank, stupidity has its own
    > > rewards.

    > You seem then to think that there is nothing wrong with fraudulently
    > impersonating a communication from a bank, obtaining their customer lists,
    > setting up fraudulent online transaction systems to harvest credit card
    > details, because it is all the customers fault once they are deceived.
    > They are criminal activities like those of any paper fraudster and the law
    > provides for reparation

    The bank is not liable, as stated above. I doubt it would be easy to get
    a prosecution of someone in an overseas country, even if somehow they are
    able to be identified.

    Patrick Dunford, May 28, 2004
  15. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <YrBtc.4360$>,
    "brundlefly" <> wrote:

    > money.
    > Westpac are good at this, we frequently do business with our customers
    > buying and selling products and services, and they have a system of flagging
    > and querying the ones that are outside defined parameters.
    > I guess you don't have customers in your business.

    and you will find that westpac will accept ZERO liability if you are
    stupid enough to give out your details to anyone. They may well freeze
    your account but is it has been raided before then well they will have
    sympathy I am sure but ZERO liability. As for who I work for, yes we
    have thousands of "customers" and the same applies to them, if they are
    stupid enough to give out personal details to others then they rus the
    risk, not us. I would challenge you to find any business that operates
    differently.

    whoisthis, May 28, 2004
  16. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <YrBtc.4360$>,
    > "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    >
    > > money.
    > > Westpac are good at this, we frequently do business with our customers
    > > buying and selling products and services, and they have a system of

    flagging
    > > and querying the ones that are outside defined parameters.
    > > I guess you don't have customers in your business.
    > >

    > and you will find that westpac will accept ZERO liability if you are
    > stupid enough to give out your details to anyone. They may well freeze
    > your account but is it has been raided before then well they will have
    > sympathy I am sure but ZERO liability. As for who I work for, yes we
    > have thousands of "customers" and the same applies to them, if they are
    > stupid enough to give out personal details to others then they rus the
    > risk, not us. I would challenge you to find any business that operates
    > differently.

    You are correct about liability but I'm talking about attitude.

    brundlefly, May 29, 2004
  17. Keith Whitehead

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <68Qtc.4421$>,
    "brundlefly" <> wrote:

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <YrBtc.4360$>,
    > > "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > money.
    > > > Westpac are good at this, we frequently do business with our customers
    > > > buying and selling products and services, and they have a system of

    > flagging
    > > > and querying the ones that are outside defined parameters.
    > > > I guess you don't have customers in your business.
    > > >

    > > and you will find that westpac will accept ZERO liability if you are
    > > stupid enough to give out your details to anyone. They may well freeze
    > > your account but is it has been raided before then well they will have
    > > sympathy I am sure but ZERO liability. As for who I work for, yes we
    > > have thousands of "customers" and the same applies to them, if they are
    > > stupid enough to give out personal details to others then they rus the
    > > risk, not us. I would challenge you to find any business that operates
    > > differently.

    > You are correct about liability but I'm talking about attitude.

    MY attitude is also right. The banking scams, nigerian scams, etc etc
    etc have been so widely publicised over the YEARS that anyone who falls
    for them deserves to. BTW I always forward the scams sent to me to the
    FBI internet fraud centre as I am keen to see the bastards in jail.

    whoisthis, May 29, 2004
  18. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <68Qtc.4421$>,
    > "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    customers

    > > flagging
    > > > >

    > > > and you will find that westpac will accept ZERO liability if you are
    > > > stupid enough to give out your details to anyone. They may well freeze
    > > > your account but is it has been raided before then well they will have
    > > > sympathy I am sure but ZERO liability. As for who I work for, yes we
    > > > have thousands of "customers" and the same applies to them, if they

    are
    > > > stupid enough to give out personal details to others then they rus the
    > > > risk, not us. I would challenge you to find any business that operates
    > > > differently.

    > > You are correct about liability but I'm talking about attitude.
    > >

    > MY attitude is also right. The banking scams, nigerian scams, etc etc
    > etc have been so widely publicised over the YEARS that anyone who falls
    > for them deserves to. BTW I always forward the scams sent to me to the
    > FBI internet fraud centre as I am keen to see the bastards in jail.

    No, a new net user or a bank does not "deserve" to be the target of
    fraudsters.

    Obligatory Kent Brockman quote:
    "I blame you, the viewers"

    brundlefly, May 29, 2004
  19. On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:23:56 +1200, "brundlefly" <>
    wrote:

    >"whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <68Qtc.4421$>,
    >> "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    >customers
    >> > flagging

    >are
    >> >
    >> > You are correct about liability but I'm talking about attitude.
    >> >

    >> MY attitude is also right. The banking scams, nigerian scams, etc etc
    >> etc have been so widely publicised over the YEARS that anyone who falls
    >> for them deserves to. BTW I always forward the scams sent to me to the
    >> FBI internet fraud centre as I am keen to see the bastards in jail.

    >No, a new net user or a bank does not "deserve" to be the target of
    >fraudsters.
    >
    >Obligatory Kent Brockman quote:
    >"I blame you, the viewers"

    For what it's worth -- Westpac sent an email warning to all its online
    banking customers as soon as the phishing email was detected.

    Unfortunately, those emails were flagged as spam by a good number of
    spam filters around the place (including Yahoo Mail).

    As a result, many people won't ever see that timely warning -- or at
    least won't see it until next time they bother to check their bulk
    email folder.

    You think Westpac could hire a half-decent company to handle these
    email warnings eh?

    Bruce Simpson, May 29, 2004
  20. Keith Whitehead

    brundlefly Guest

    "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:23:56 +1200, "brundlefly" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    > >customers

    of

    are

    freeze

    have

    we

    > >are

    the

    operates

    > >> MY attitude is also right. The banking scams, nigerian scams, etc etc
    > >> etc have been so widely publicised over the YEARS that anyone who falls
    > >> for them deserves to. BTW I always forward the scams sent to me to the
    > >> FBI internet fraud centre as I am keen to see the bastards in jail.

    > >No, a new net user or a bank does not "deserve" to be the target of
    > >fraudsters.
    > >
    > >Obligatory Kent Brockman quote:
    > >"I blame you, the viewers"
    > >

    > For what it's worth -- Westpac sent an email warning to all its online
    > banking customers as soon as the phishing email was detected.
    >
    > Unfortunately, those emails were flagged as spam by a good number of
    > spam filters around the place (including Yahoo Mail).
    >
    > As a result, many people won't ever see that timely warning -- or at
    > least won't see it until next time they bother to check their bulk
    > email folder.
    >
    > You think Westpac could hire a half-decent company to handle these
    > email warnings eh?
    > --
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

    Yeah there must be a few parasites around only too eager to exploit their
    collective misfortune.

    brundlefly, May 29, 2004