    acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    code under an open-source license in 2000."

    How daft can the world get..?

    Karen Parker, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Karen  Parker

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Karen Parker said the following on 17/09/2004 11:37:

    > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >

    > How daft can the world get..?

    Your post might have some value if it had an attributation or URL with
    it. Other wise it is just the usual FUD

    Collector-NZ, Sep 17, 2004

  3. "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office,
    > called

    This sounds really dodgy... on what grounds can they attempt to seek
    damages?

    Andrew

    Andrew Bryson, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Karen  Parker

    Rob Davison Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >

    > How daft can the world get..?

    "...April 1, 2004..."

    Rob.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/

    Rob Davison, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:03:51 +1200, Andrew Bryson wrote:

    > "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open
    >> Office users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after
    >> April 1, 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open
    >> Office, called

    > This sounds really dodgy... on what grounds can they attempt to seek
    > damages?

    Patents

    Anyway the issue isn't so much:

    "MS can seek damages against Oo_Org users"

    as

    "MS can seek damages against users of any competing office suite, but Sun
    signed a deal to exempt Star Office customers"

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 17, 2004
  6. Karen  Parker

    Spidah Guest

    I found the story at:

    http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,95984p2,00.html

    Hamilton
    www.n2activeweb.co.nz
    Quality low cost web hosting for New Zealand

    Spidah, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Karen  Parker

    thing Guest

    Karen wrote:

    > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >

    > How daft can the world get..?

    s/daft/greedy

    This shows up Sun amd MS on so many fronts.

    MS

    Many have hypothised that the next big battle is MS using IP / patents
    and laywers to sue OSS users. Most suspect its a waiting game for the EU
    to grant IP similar to the US, and get the US elections over then if
    favourable MS can start its mayhem. The only black spot for MS is the
    anti-trust case and the possibilty a Democrat might get into the
    Whitehouse, if Bush gets in I can see this moving ahead.

    This means of course even if MS does not publically announce / go for a
    legal claim this will hang over open sources office suite, spot the FUD
    potential.

    SCO has sued end users, MS can do the same over functionality I assume
    thats why the agreement is worded as it is.

    SUN

    I suspect Sun hates Linux more than it hates MS, hence your enemy is my
    enemy. If Sun trully was into OSS it would not have allowed this IMHO it
    has, so it just shows Sun's true colours. With Linux boxes on Intel
    gouging its revenue and with Wall Street threatening to junk status its
    shares, Sun must be pissed.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Karen  Parker

    theseus Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Karen wrote:
    >>

    >> "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open
    >> Office
    >> users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April
    >> 1,
    >> 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office,
    >> called
    >> StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement,
    >> says
    >> Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    >> processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    >> acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released
    >> the
    >> code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >>

    >> How daft can the world get..?
    >>

    > s/daft/greedy
    >
    > This shows up Sun amd MS on so many fronts.
    >
    > MS
    >
    > Many have hypothised that the next big battle is MS using IP / patents and
    > laywers to sue OSS users. Most suspect its a waiting game for the EU to
    > grant IP similar to the US, and get the US elections over then if
    > favourable MS can start its mayhem. The only black spot for MS is the
    > anti-trust case and the possibilty a Democrat might get into the
    > Whitehouse, if Bush gets in I can see this moving ahead.
    >
    > This means of course even if MS does not publically announce / go for a
    > legal claim this will hang over open sources office suite, spot the FUD
    > potential.
    >
    > SCO has sued end users, MS can do the same over functionality I assume
    > thats why the agreement is worded as it is.
    >
    > SUN
    >
    > I suspect Sun hates Linux more than it hates MS, hence your enemy is my
    > enemy. If Sun trully was into OSS it would not have allowed this IMHO it
    > has, so it just shows Sun's true colours. With Linux boxes on Intel
    > gouging its revenue and with Wall Street threatening to junk status its
    > shares, Sun must be pissed.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Or it could be that Sun negotiated a concession from Microsoft to explicitly
    allow the use of Microsoft Office filters in StarOffice, and Microsoft is
    explaining that it is reserving the rights that it always had to take action
    if or when it considers it necessary to protect the proprietary formats it
    has protected by patent outside this explicit agreement.

    theseus, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:58:52 +1200, Collector-NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Karen Parker said the following on 17/09/2004 11:37:
    >

    >> "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    >> users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    >> 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    >> StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    >> Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    >> processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    >> acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    >> code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >>

    >> How daft can the world get..?
    >>

    >Your post might have some value if it had an attributation or URL with
    >it. Other wise it is just the usual FUD

    Go look at some Web site you lazy person..

    Karen Parker, Sep 17, 2004
  10. In article <Soq2d.3373$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 12:41:22 +1200, Spidah <> says...
    > p2,00.html

    I wonder if this is from the MS patent that patents XML based documents.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  11. In article <ifs2d.3906$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 14:48:11 +1200, thing <> says...
    > Karen wrote:
    > >

    > > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    > >

    > > How daft can the world get..?
    > >

    > s/daft/greedy
    >
    > This shows up Sun amd MS on so many fronts.
    >
    > MS
    >
    > Many have hypothised that the next big battle is MS using IP / patents
    > and laywers to sue OSS users. Most suspect its a waiting game for the EU
    > to grant IP similar to the US, and get the US elections over then if
    > favourable MS can start its mayhem. The only black spot for MS is the
    > anti-trust case and the possibilty a Democrat might get into the
    > Whitehouse, if Bush gets in I can see this moving ahead.
    >
    > This means of course even if MS does not publically announce / go for a
    > legal claim this will hang over open sources office suite, spot the FUD
    > potential.
    >
    > SCO has sued end users, MS can do the same over functionality I assume
    > thats why the agreement is worded as it is.

    I believe MS has filed a patent over the use of XML to store documents,
    which could also relate to OpenOffice.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  12. In article <ifs2d.3906$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Sep 2004 14:48:11 +1200, thing <> says...
    > Karen wrote:
    > >

    > > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    > >

    > > How daft can the world get..?
    > >

    > s/daft/greedy
    >
    > This shows up Sun amd MS on so many fronts.
    >
    > MS
    >
    > Many have hypothised that the next big battle is MS using IP / patents
    > and laywers to sue OSS users. Most suspect its a waiting game for the EU
    > to grant IP similar to the US, and get the US elections over then if
    > favourable MS can start its mayhem. The only black spot for MS is the
    > anti-trust case and the possibilty a Democrat might get into the
    > Whitehouse, if Bush gets in I can see this moving ahead.

    If you read the articles you'll see that part of it is a settlement of
    patent claims made by Sun against MS. If MS can file patents, others
    certainly can, and in fact MS has been sued a number of times over patent
    infringement, recently Eolas.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:57:14 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <Soq2d.3373$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    > Sep 2004 12:41:22 +1200, Spidah <> says...
    >> p2,00.html

    > I wonder if this is from the MS patent that patents XML based documents.

    I'd say there is a fairly good chance that's one of them.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 17, 2004
  14. In article <>,

    <http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com/?query=sun+microsoft+settlement>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Karen  Parker

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:32:54 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:

    >>Your post might have some value if it had an attributation or URL with
    >>it. Other wise it is just the usual FUD

    > Go look at some Web site you lazy person.

    Which one, Woger?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 17, 2004
  16. Karen  Parker

    Malcolm Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > "The April agreement says that Microsoft can seek damages from Open Office
    > users or distributors for any copy of Open Office installed after April 1,
    > 2004. However, users of Sun's commercial distribution of Open Office, called
    > StarOffice, are protected from legal liabilities under the agreement, says
    > Russ Castronovo, a spokesperson for Sun. Open Office includes a word
    > processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software based on technology Sun
    > acquired in its 1999 purchase of Germany's Star Division. Sun released the
    > code under an open-source license in 2000."
    >

    > How daft can the world get..?

    Hi
    A couple of SUN links as well....

    http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan