Warning for anyone buying a printer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lyn Buchanan, May 27, 2005.

  1. Lyn Buchanan

    Lyn Buchanan Guest

    This might be helpful to anyone on the list who is thinking about buying new
    equipment: Please spread this to other lists, as well, in the hopes that it
    will help others.

    I purchased an Epson C62 printer last year, which was a good printer. I had
    no complaints other than the fact that they build a chip into their ink
    cartridges so you can't refill them. For most people, this is not a
    problem, but I do a LOT of printing, and refilling is the only way to go.
    $3 for new ink is much better than $50. The cartridge chip is something
    they don't tell you about when you buy the printer, nor is there anything
    about it in the manual, or on their web site. You only learn about it the
    hard way - after you've already bought the machine.

    Yesterday, an error message popped up and told me that "some parts of the
    printer are at the end of their life cycle", and that I should take the
    printer to be repaired. There is absolutely nothing in the manual about
    this, so I searched the internet and found out that there is also a chip
    inside the printer which counts the number of times you clean the ink
    nozzles, and then it figures that the waste ink pad is dirty, so it blocks
    you from using your printer at all any more until you get a new pad. This
    is several hundred cleanings, so for most people, it isn't an issue, but for
    people like me, who use their printer a lot, it just became a very big
    issue.

    The average user will take the machine to the repair shop and be faced with
    a bill of at least $80 to have an ink pad changed and have the chip reset.
    HOWEVER, guess what else I learned the hard way... the Epson C62's chip
    can't be reset. My only resort is to buy a new machine. It is the same for
    several other models, but there is no way for you to find out ahead of time
    whether the model you are buying is one of them. For these models, you
    evidently have to have the whole motherboard changed, at a cost of another
    $100 or so, or buy another machine.... which is what this whole situation
    was designed for making you do.

    I found out that all Epson printers are designed to let you clean your print
    nozzles just so many times, and then you can't use the machine any more.
    This is not in their manuals, advertising, help files, etc. No one will
    tell you this before you buy the machine. Instead of a simple warning and a
    pull-out drawer where you can change the pad yourself, you are left with a
    machine which is mechanically fine, but which Epson has intentionally
    designed to be totally unusable unless you go out and pay a huge repair bill
    or simply buy a new one.

    And I thought that the cartridge chip was an underhanded thing to do to
    their customers!!!

    Bottom line - if you are looking for a printer that you will use a lot -
    under no circumstances should you buy an Epson. Epson does not have your
    best interests at heart, and they have designed their machines to make you
    pay all kinds of hidden costs. I'm sure that there are other tricky traps
    that I haven't uncovered, and won't - because when I go out today to buy a
    new printer - it won't be an Epson.

    That being their company's policy, I would not buy any of their other
    products, either.

    I hope that this saves someone some money and equipment headaches. Please
    send this out to as many lists as you can, in the hopes that it will help
    others, as well.

    Lyn Buchanan, May 27, 2005

  2. Thanks for the warning. And sorry to hear. I won't buy an Epson.

    Hank Sniadoch, May 27, 2005

  3. Lyn Buchanan wrote:
> [...]
    > simply buy a new one.
    >
    > And I thought that the cartridge chip was an underhanded thing to do
    > to their customers!!!
    >
    > Bottom line - if you are looking for a printer that you will use a
    > lot - under no circumstances should you buy an Epson. Epson does not
    > have your best interests at heart, and they have designed their
    > machines to make you pay all kinds of hidden costs. I'm sure that
    > there are other tricky traps that I haven't uncovered, and won't -
    > because when I go out today to buy a new printer - it won't be an
    > Epson.
    >
    > That being their company's policy, I would not buy any of their other
    > products, either.
    >
    > I hope that this saves someone some money and equipment headaches.
    > Please send this out to as many lists as you can, in the hopes that

    I just bought a HP scanner/printer-I hope they haven't done something
    similar
    -max

    What's in a Name?, May 27, 2005
  4. Lyn Buchanan

    me Guest

    "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> to their customers!!!
    >>
    >> Bottom line - if you are looking for a printer that you will use a
    >> lot - under no circumstances should you buy an Epson. Epson does not
    >> have your best interests at heart, and they have designed their
    >> machines to make you pay all kinds of hidden costs. I'm sure that
    >> there are other tricky traps that I haven't uncovered, and won't -
    >> because when I go out today to buy a new printer - it won't be an
    >> Epson.
    >>
    >> That being their company's policy, I would not buy any of their other
    >> products, either.
    >>
    >> I hope that this saves someone some money and equipment headaches.
    >> Please send this out to as many lists as you can, in the hopes that
    >> it will help others, as well.

    > I just bought a HP scanner/printer-I hope they haven't done something

    HP do a similar thing to their printers.I have a D135 all-in-one unit,and
    the ink cartridges for those have a limited life too,so if you havent used
    it by the time the date comes,oh well,too bad.
    I also think they do a similar thing with the printheads,in my unit there
    are 4 seperate printheads,(which are about $30 EACH) and once you get the
    error message,you have to replace it,regardless of its condition.
    i havent used my printer for ages becasue of that,and i certainly wont be
    buying HP anytime again
    Max,if you still have the receipt,take the thing back for a refund.

    me, May 28, 2005
  5. Lyn Buchanan

    Beachcomber Guest

    >HP do a similar thing to their printers.I have a D135 all-in-one unit,and
    >the ink cartridges for those have a limited life too,so if you havent used
    >it by the time the date comes,oh well,too bad.
    >I also think they do a similar thing with the printheads,in my unit there
    >are 4 seperate printheads,(which are about $30 EACH) and once you get the
    >error message,you have to replace it,regardless of its condition.
    >i havent used my printer for ages becasue of that,and i certainly wont be
    >buying HP anytime again
    >Max,if you still have the receipt,take the thing back for a refund.

    Sorry to hear your troubles: No wonder that HP had to fire their CEO.
    When they start 'dissin' the customers, their goodwill goes down the
    toilet.

    See if you can buy an older HP printer like the HP Officejet 300 on
    eBay.

    I've had mine for 7 years now. Runs like a tank. B+W Cartridges are
    about $28 and you can use the cheap refill kits if you want. None of
    this expiration date nonsense.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, May 28, 2005
  6. Lyn Buchanan

    RBM Guest

    I've been using Epson printers for years, all had chips and I always used
    aftermarket ink cartridges which worked fine. The printers themselves didn't
    last particularly long though. The last printer I bought was a Canon IP3000
    Pixma. This printer has individual ink cartridges, paper can be loaded above
    and below, has replaceable print head, is fast as lightning, quiet and costs
    $50 from Newegg... I bought two

    RBM, May 28, 2005
  7. Lyn Buchanan

    me Guest

    "RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using Epson printers for years, all had chips and I always used
    > aftermarket ink cartridges which worked fine. The printers themselves
    > didn't last particularly long though. The last printer I bought was a
    > Canon IP3000 Pixma. This printer has individual ink cartridges, paper can
    > be loaded above and below, has replaceable print head, is fast as
    > lightning, quiet and costs $50 from Newegg... I bought two

    Do the Canon printers have expiry dates on their cartridges and printheads?

    me, May 28, 2005
  8. Lyn Buchanan

    RBM Guest

    I don't have the covering the print head was wrapped in, but the ink
    cartridges don't have dates on them

    RBM, May 28, 2005
  9. Lyn Buchanan

    >I don't have the covering the print head was wrapped in, but the ink
    >cartridges don't have dates on them

    Hmm,I may have a look at one of theirs then

    me, May 29, 2005
  10. Lyn Buchanan

    RBM Guest

    I've had several friends get them and all love them. Look at the reviews on
    Newegg site

    RBM, May 29, 2005
  11. Lyn Buchanan

    Pharmanaut Guest

    > Lyn Buchanan wrote:
    >> This might be helpful to anyone on the list who is thinking about
    >> buying new equipment: Please spread this to other lists, as well, in
    >> the hopes that it will help others.
    >>
    >> I purchased an Epson C62 printer last year, which was a good printer.
    >> I had no complaints other than the fact that they build a chip into
    >> their ink cartridges so you can't refill them. For most people, this
    >> is not a problem, but I do a LOT of printing, and refilling is the
    >> only way to go. $3 for new ink is much better than $50. The
    >> cartridge chip is something they don't tell you about when you buy
    >> the printer, nor is there anything about it in the manual, or on
    >> their web site. You only learn about it the hard way - after you've
    >> already bought the machine.
    >>
    >> Yesterday, an error message popped up and told me that "some parts of
    >> the printer are at the end of their life cycle", and that I should
    >> take the printer to be repaired. There is absolutely nothing in the
    >> manual about this, so I searched the internet and found out that
    >> there is also a chip inside the printer which counts the number of
    >> times you clean the ink nozzles, and then it figures that the waste
    >> ink pad is dirty, so it blocks you from using your printer at all any
    >> more until you get a new pad. This is several hundred cleanings, so
    >> for most people, it isn't an issue, but for people like me, who use
    >> their printer a lot, it just became a very big issue.
    >>
    >> The average user will take the machine to the repair shop and be
    >> faced with a bill of at least $80 to have an ink pad changed and have
    >> the chip reset. HOWEVER, guess what else I learned the hard way...
    >> the Epson C62's chip can't be reset. My only resort is to buy a new
    >> machine. It is the same for several other models, but there is no
    >> way for you to find out ahead of time whether the model you are
    >> buying is one of them. For these models, you evidently have to have
    >> the whole motherboard changed, at a cost of another $100 or so, or
    >> buy another machine.... which is what this whole situation was
    >> designed for making you do.
    >>
    >> I found out that all Epson printers are designed to let you clean
    >> your print nozzles just so many times, and then you can't use the
    >> machine any more. This is not in their manuals, advertising, help
    >> files, etc. No one will tell you this before you buy the machine.
    >> Instead of a simple warning and a pull-out drawer where you can
    >> change the pad yourself, you are left with a machine which is
    >> mechanically fine, but which Epson has intentionally designed to be
    >> totally unusable unless you go out and pay a huge repair bill or
    >> simply buy a new one.
    >>
    >> And I thought that the cartridge chip was an underhanded thing to do
    >> to their customers!!!

    I found an Epson C60 in a skip, (dumpster for out colonial friends)
    had a 2p coin in the paper feed. Removed that and it's been fine for 2
    years. I use refills off of ebay (very cheap, with chip...) with no problems
    whatsoever.....

    Best printer deal I've had.....

    Pharm..

    Pharmanaut, May 29, 2005
  12. Lyn Buchanan

    > I've had several friends get them and all love them. Look at the reviews
    > on Newegg site
    > "me" <> wrote in message news:pTcme.1017$Pp.620@fed1read01...
    >>
    >> "RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>>I don't have the covering the print head was wrapped in, but the ink
    >>>cartridges don't have dates on them

    >> Hmm,I may have a look at one of theirs then

    Yep,after reading all those 5 star reviews i decided to plunge for
    one.Should get it this week.Knowing my luck they'll send me a dud !!!

    me, May 30, 2005
  13. Lyn Buchanan

    Ron Smith Guest

    iv got a HP 1210v that is all in one and it works really really good iv had
    it for about 2 yrs now and all i use in it is cheep o ink from walmart

    Ron Smith, May 31, 2005
  14. Lyn Buchanan

    ToMh Guest

    I once bought an Epson, but never again. I now have a Canon that
    has been very reliable and very easy to refill the cartridges. New
    cartridges are also fairly reasonable.

    -Tom

    ToMh, May 31, 2005
  15. Lyn Buchanan

    ric Guest

    ToMh wrote:

    > I once bought an Epson, but never again. I now have a Canon that
    > has been very reliable and very easy to refill the cartridges. New
    > cartridges are also fairly reasonable.

    I was given an Epson Stylus 740 for Christmas in 1998. Still using
    it today. Use it EVERY day. ZERO failures. I use it for B&W only, so
    I just remove/re-insert the color cartridge when the light goes on.

    ric, May 31, 2005