    go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.

    In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!

    Ron Bennett

    Ron Bennett, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Figures, since they are currently in the process of settling a lawsuit for
    very similar tactics!

    http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/arc/default.aspx

    James

    Computer-Guru, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Ron Bennett

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:17 -0400, Ron Bennett
    <> wrote:

    >I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    >laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    >Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    >months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
    >such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
    >go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
    >
    >In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!

    Then you should avoid Toys R Us gift card. Walmart gift card EB gift
    card, etc. etc. There's been quite a few lawsuits in the past years.

    For several years it had been a common practice to siphon some money
    from unused gift card to cover accounting fees. They are often
    spelled out but in microscopic fine prints that most people can never
    read at all.

    I don't like it myself and when I get a gift card, I use it as soon as
    possible. Some cards can go to gas, some to groceries, and the few
    that offers no gas or groceries, to video game or computer stuff.
    What I can't use, I sell on eBay ;)

    Impmon, Oct 13, 2004
  4. >I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    >laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    >Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    >months on gift cards.

    So?

    Read the fine print of any prepaid service, like gift cards, and the same
    provisions are there. This isn't a surprise, at least not to me.

    Some provisions have your credit in the card totally revoked if you fail to use
    it within months!

    To put it simply with these cards: you snooze, you lose.

    However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than two
    years! - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Ron Bennett

    Justin Guest

    Ron Bennett wrote on [Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:17 -0400]:
    > I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    > laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    > Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    > months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
    > such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
    > go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.

    Wal Mart has the same thing.

    Justin, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Ron Bennett

    Justin Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote on [13 Oct 2004 01:36:56 GMT]:

    > However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than two
    > years! - Reinhart

    It's easy to forget all about these things.

    Justin, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Ron Bennett

    Biz Guest

    > I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    > laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    > Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    > months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
    > such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
    > go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
    >
    > In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!
    >
    > Ron Bennett

    As it turns out if you pull your head out of the sand, you would have read
    it on the card. Use the cards in a reasonable amount of time and there is
    never an issue. Who sits on a gift card for over 2 years? Oh, my bad, have
    you been in a coma for the last 2.5 years? If so, my sincerest apologies.

    Biz, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Ron Bennett

    Bill Guest

    Ron Bennett wrote:

    > I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    > laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    > Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    > months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
    > such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
    > go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
    >
    > In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!
    >
    > Ron Bennett

    I don't like fees on gift cards either (nor the gift cards
    themselves), but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of gift
    cards have inactivity fees (and some probably after 12 months,
    not 24). And sadly, they are not illegal in MANY states, just a
    small number.

    Bill

    Bill, Oct 13, 2004
  9. >> However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than
    >two
    >> years! - Reinhart

    >It's easy to forget all about these things.

    Then again, it's hard to pass up the opportunity to blow a $25 gift card on an
    awesome DVD boxset at the Hollywood Video ... unless that boxset is $26 or
    more. Although, you can still pay for the difference which, hopefully, won't
    be too much. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 13, 2004
  10. Ron Bennett

    Yazandtony Guest

    Damn, 2 years to use a gift card? Jeeze.

    Yazandtony, Oct 13, 2004
  11. Ron Bennett

    Crow T Robot Guest

    Well every gift card I ever got from any company imposes a service fee. So
    I guess just don't buy giftcard if you don't intend to use them in 12
    months.

    Crow T Robot, Oct 13, 2004
  12. Ron Bennett

    Hello.com Guest

    Blockbuster also does this.

    Hello.com, Oct 14, 2004
  13. Ron Bennett

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Ron Bennett <> wrote in message news:<ckht1o$>...
    > I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    > laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >
    > Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    > months on gift cards.

    Who lets a gift card sit around unused for 2 years?

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 15, 2004
  14. Ron Bennett

    kaboom Guest

    On 15 Oct 2004 09:24:40 -0700, (Jordan Lund)
    wrote:

    >Ron Bennett <> wrote in message news:<ckht1o$>...
    >> I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
    >> laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
    >>
    >> Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
    >> months on gift cards.

    >Who lets a gift card sit around unused for 2 years?

    **I got two gift cards last Xmas. The BestBuy gift card got used
    within a week, the JCPenney one is still sitting in my wallet :)

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Oct 15, 2004
  15. Ron Bennett

    Kremlingirls Guest

    Where I live in Massachusetts I know that it is illegal to have an expiration
    date on a gift card.

    Kremlingirls, Oct 16, 2004
  16. Ron Bennett

    Biz Guest

    "Kremlingirls" <> wrote in message
    > Where I live in Massachusetts I know that it is illegal to have an

    expiration
    > date on a gift card.

    What does an expiration date have to do with a unused balanced fee? And
    like several have posted, if you just use the friggin card in a reasonable
    amount of time, it is NEVER an issue.

    Biz, Oct 16, 2004
  17. Ron Bennett

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:36:24 -0400, kaboom wrote:
    > (Jordan Lund) wrote:
    >>Who lets a gift card sit around unused for 2 years?

    > **I got two gift cards last Xmas. The BestBuy gift card got used
    > within a week, the JCPenney one is still sitting in my wallet :)

    See, this is what happens when a society deems it not "polite" to just
    give cash or a check.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 16, 2004
  18. Ron Bennett

    Eric R. Guest

    "Computer-Guru" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Figures, since they are currently in the process of settling a lawsuit for
    > very similar tactics!
    >
    > http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/arc/default.aspx

    That case is just a bunch of ambulance-chaser horseshit. The
    "plantiffs" get a bunch of "buy one, get one free" coupons and the
    ambulance chasing lawyers who filed the suit get $2.7 million.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 19, 2004
  19. Ron Bennett

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Eric R. wrote:
    > "Computer-Guru" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Figures, since they are currently in the process of settling a
    >> lawsuit for very similar tactics!
    >>
    >> http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/arc/default.aspx

    > That case is just a bunch of ambulance-chaser horseshit. The
    > "plantiffs" get a bunch of "buy one, get one free" coupons and the
    > ambulance chasing lawyers who filed the suit get $2.7 million.

    And, consumers at large get an end to this practice. That's not without
    value.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 19, 2004
  20. Ron Bennett

    Jim Fraas Guest

    Then stay FAR away from simon mall gift cards.

    --
    A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

    Jim Fraas, Oct 21, 2004