    but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    recently.
    Julie P., May 9, 2005

  2. Julie P. wrote:

    > I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster,
    > CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it was
    > released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it, then
    > uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my
    > computer has been spyware free.
    >
    > Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    > whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    > days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    > others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >
    > This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    > but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    > Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    > recently.

    Julie, you might want to install some Valium too. About 2mg should do it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 9, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    ~Brian~ Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    >SpywareBlaster, CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    >Beta since it was released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it
    >twice, run it, then uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived
    >me into thinking my computer has been spyware free.
    >
    > Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    > whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    > days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    > others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >
    > This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    > but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    > Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin

    Sounds as if you may be suffering from a touch of paranoia!!
    ~Brian~, May 9, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Guest

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:37:35 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    |>I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster,
    |>CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it was
    |>released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it, then
    |>uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my
    |>computer has been spyware free.
    |>
    |>Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    |>whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    |>days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    |>others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    |>
    |>This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    |>but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    |>Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    |>recently.

    Lot of overhead to protect yourself from yourself. Two of the three
    programs (elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar) were installed by you;
    either by running a program or allowing ActiveX to run.

    Disable ActiveX, Don't run IE, and start reading vendors TOS and/or
    EULA's.

    --
    , May 9, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:43:20 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster,
    >> CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it was
    >> released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it, then
    >> uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my
    >> computer has been spyware free.
    >>
    >> Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    >> whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    >> days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    >> others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >>
    >> This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    >> but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    >> Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    >> recently.

    >Julie, you might want to install some Valium too. About 2mg should do it.

    Did anyone tell her that McAfee spams? That their Spamkiller app is as liable to
    send out backscatter as it is to do anything actually useful? That their
    antivirus is ineffective? That their base software can scramble a machine to the
    point where it can't even boot? That trusting an application from a spammer is
    tantamount to inviting them into their system, and that trusting an application
    from someone like that is dangerous at best? And that broadcasting "warnings"
    when you're uninformed about what you're doing is disingenuous?

    "McAfee sucks. I wouldn't trust them any farther than I can pick up and throw
    24HSHD."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, May 9, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Gordon Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    || I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    || SpywareBlaster, CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft
    || Anti-Spyware Beta since it was released (for Microsoft ASWB, I
    || install it, update it twice, run it, then uninstall it once every
    || week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my computer has been
    || spyware free.
    || Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware
    || 2005 on a whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And
    || in less than 4 days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new
    || spywares that all the others above failed to detect!!

    How do you know that McAfee didn't put them there, to justify its cost?
    (Even though yours was eventually free?)
    Gordon, May 9, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:43:20 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Julie P. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    >>> SpywareBlaster,
    >>> CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it
    >>> was
    >>> released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it,
    >>> then
    >>> uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking
    >>> my
    >>> computer has been spyware free.
    >>>
    >>> Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on
    >>> whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    >>> days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    >>> others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and
    >>> elitebar.
    >>>
    >>> This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was
    >>> safe,
    >>> but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA
    >>> Pest
    >>> Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    >>> recently.

    >>Julie, you might want to install some Valium too. About 2mg should do it.

    > Did anyone tell her that McAfee spams? That their Spamkiller app is as
    > liable to
    > send out backscatter as it is to do anything actually useful?

    I don't use spamkiller.

    That their
    > antivirus is ineffective?

    I don't use it.
    Julie P., May 9, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:37:35 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    > SpywareBlaster,
    > |>CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it
    > was
    > |>released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it,
    > then
    > |>uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking
    > my
    > |>computer has been spyware free.
    > |>
    > |>Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on
    > |>whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    > |>days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    > |>others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and
    > elitebar.
    > |>
    > |>This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was
    > safe,
    > |>but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA
    > Pest
    > |>Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    > |>recently.
    >
    > Lot of overhead to protect yourself from yourself. Two of the three
    > programs (elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar) were installed by you;
    > either by running a program or allowing ActiveX to run.
    >
    > Disable ActiveX, Don't run IE, and start reading vendors TOS and/or
    > EULA's.

    Right, but I had to allow Active x on a few instances recently to install
    some software from Microsoft. I think Microsoft AS Beta was one, and
    PageFile was another. I do not allow Active X otherwise. As for using IE, I
    have to use that, as that is the application most of my customers use, and I
    need to see my webpages as they see them, to catch errors and check the
    layout and design.
    Julie P., May 9, 2005
  9. Mara wrote:
    > Did anyone tell her that McAfee spams? That their Spamkiller app is as liable to
    > send out backscatter as it is to do anything actually useful? That their
    > antivirus is ineffective? That their base software can scramble a machine to the
    > point where it can't even boot? That trusting an application from a spammer is
    > tantamount to inviting them into their system, and that trusting an application
    > from someone like that is dangerous at best? And that broadcasting "warnings"
    > when you're uninformed about what you're doing is disingenuous?
    >
    > "McAfee sucks. I wouldn't trust them any farther than I can pick up and throw
    > 24HSHD."

    What is it you're trying to say? Don't be shy. I didn't know McAfee was
    spamming, but am not surprised. I did see a PCMag review on Spamkiller
    that said this:

    --- quote ---
    Counting only messages that were clearly spam or clearly valid, we found
    that it blocked about 4 percent of valid mail and let a quarter of the
    spam into the inbox. That's quite a bit better than the previous version
    (which blocked half of the valid mail and accepted a third of the spam),
    but it is still not on a par with the best products.
    --- endquote ---

    Doesn't sound like something I'd *pay* for. Or allow on a machine.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 9, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "~Brian~" <~brian~@totallyinvalid.com> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    >>SpywareBlaster, CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    >>Beta since it was released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it
    >>twice, run it, then uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived
    >>me into thinking my computer has been spyware free.
    >>
    >> Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on
    >> a whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than
    >> 4 days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    >> others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >>
    >> This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was
    >> safe, but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install
    >> CA Pest Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro
    >> PC-cillin
    >>

    > Sounds as if you may be suffering from a touch of paranoia!!

    Oh, not at all! Not all AV or AS programs are perfect, so the more you run,
    the better your chances of catching more bad stuff. More is better. This is
    the same reason that as soon as Microsoft AS Beta came out, many people here
    signed up, even though they already had Ad-Aware, SpyBot, etc. And all the
    programs I bought were free after rebate, so it didn't cost me much.

    J.
    Julie P., May 9, 2005
  11. Julie P. wrote:

    > "~Brian~" <~brian~@totallyinvalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    >>>SpywareBlaster, CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    >>>Beta since it was released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it
    >>>twice, run it, then uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived
    >>>me into thinking my computer has been spyware free.
    >>>
    >>>Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on
    >>>a whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than
    >>>4 days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    >>>others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >>>
    >>>This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was
    >>>safe, but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install
    >>>CA Pest Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro
    >>>PC-cillin
    >>>

    >>Sounds as if you may be suffering from a touch of paranoia!!
    >>

    > Oh, not at all! Not all AV or AS programs are perfect, so the more you run,
    > the better your chances of catching more bad stuff. More is better. This is
    > the same reason that as soon as Microsoft AS Beta came out, many people here
    > signed up, even though they already had Ad-Aware, SpyBot, etc. And all the
    > programs I bought were free after rebate, so it didn't cost me much.

    And many people who write the spyware programs are frustrated that
    people are catching on to what they are doing. So they write
    "antispyware" programs that not only do not work, they make the
    situation much worse. And con men are jumping on the bandwagon with
    ineffective software to fight malware, just to make a quick buck. All in
    all, "More is better" is *not* good advice. Better quality is better.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 9, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    > || I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    > || SpywareBlaster, CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft
    > || Anti-Spyware Beta since it was released (for Microsoft ASWB, I
    > || install it, update it twice, run it, then uninstall it once every
    > || week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my computer has been
    > || spyware free.
    > || Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware
    > || 2005 on a whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And
    > || in less than 4 days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new
    > || spywares that all the others above failed to detect!!
    >
    > How do you know that McAfee didn't put them there, to justify its cost?
    > (Even though yours was eventually free?)

    because after the initial scan, it only found one item that I think I had
    had for a long time on my links bar (elula.dldr). The next time, it found
    two more items: wupd and elitebar. So unless they were added by McAfee after
    I updated it, they had to be installed from another source, not McAfee.

    I possibly misspoke earlier: it is possible that Ad-Aware or SpyBot or MASB
    would have found those last two spywares too, but I ran McAfee first since I
    just received an update this morning.

    Here is my maintenance schedule, btw:

    Twice a day, at least:
    Check manually for updates for Grisoft AVG, and optionally for McAfee and
    Trend Micro (those last two are automatic--every 3 hours for TM and every 5
    minutes for McAfee)

    Once a day at least:
    Clear cache and history while IE is closed

    Three times a week at least:
    Disk Cleanup

    Twice a week, or after an update, whichever comes first:

    Update and/or Run:

    Ad-Aware
    SpyBot S&D
    CWShredder
    SpywareBlaster
    Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-spyware program
    Trend Micro PC-cillin hole finder
    McAfee AS 2005
    Windows Update

    Once a week, or after an update, whichever comes first:

    Update/Run:

    Grisoft AVG
    Trend Micro PC-cillin AV

    Once a week:

    Disk Defragment
    Clean Monitor with Windex
    Install, update, run, then uninstall Microsoft AS Beta

    I do not do hard drive backups as of yet.
    Julie P., May 9, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> "~Brian~" <~brian~@totallyinvalid.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Julie P." <> wrote in message

    >>>Sounds as if you may be suffering from a touch of paranoia!!
    >>>

    >> Oh, not at all! Not all AV or AS programs are perfect, so the more you
    >> run, the better your chances of catching more bad stuff. More is better.
    >> This is the same reason that as soon as Microsoft AS Beta came out, many
    >> people here signed up, even though they already had Ad-Aware, SpyBot,
    >> etc. And all the programs I bought were free after rebate, so it didn't
    >> cost me much.

    > And many people who write the spyware programs are frustrated that people
    > are catching on to what they are doing. So they write "antispyware"
    > programs that not only do not work, they make the situation much worse.
    > And con men are jumping on the bandwagon with ineffective software to
    > fight malware, just to make a quick buck. All in all, "More is better" is
    > *not* good advice. Better quality is better.

    Thanks Roger! I misspoke earlier about more is better then.

    It's just that I though Trend Micro was a good program, but it didn't find
    the elula spyware than McAfee found. and I hate McAfee btw. So how do you
    know what is a good AS program and what is not?
    Julie P., May 9, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    FML Guest

    Julie P. spewed forth...

    <snip>
    > Here is my maintenance schedule, btw:

    <snip>

    How do you ever get anything else done?

    > I do not do hard drive backups as of yet.

    For someone who is as safety-conscious as you appear to be about your
    system, I find the last statement unbelievable.

    This week, skip doing all those updates and scans and spend the time
    implementing a sound backup plan.

    Being malware free will not do you an iota of good when your hard drive
    craters and all your data is gone forever.
    FML, May 9, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    philo Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    > whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    > days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    > others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >
    > This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    > but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee.

    <snip>

    however ...you did not purchase mcaffee, you got it free !
    (if you get the rebate, that is)
    philo, May 9, 2005
  16. Julie P. wrote:

    > PageFile was another. I do not allow Active X otherwise. As for using IE, I
    > have to use that, as that is the application most of my customers use, and I
    > need to see my webpages as they see them, to catch errors and check the
    > layout and design.

    Having to use IE for testing doesn't mean you have to use it for your
    own general browsing. I have it on an old laptop for site testing, but
    that's *all* I use it for.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, May 9, 2005
  17. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Having to use IE for testing doesn't mean you have to use it for your
    > own general browsing. I have it on an old laptop for site testing, but
    > that's *all* I use it for.

    And you don't have SP2?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 9, 2005
  18. Julie P. wrote:

    > because after the initial scan, it only found one item that I think I had
    > had for a long time on my links bar (elula.dldr). The next time, it found
    > two more items: wupd and elitebar. So unless they were added by McAfee
    > after I updated it, they had to be installed from another source, not
    > McAfee.
    >
    > I possibly misspoke earlier: it is possible that Ad-Aware or SpyBot or
    > MASB would have found those last two spywares too, but I ran McAfee first
    > since I just received an update this morning.

    Well, which browsers are you using? You know, airbags didn't reduce injuries
    in car accidents as expected .. they probably even enlarged the sheer
    amount of accidents. No, not the airbags, but people feeling (too) much
    protected.

    > Here is my maintenance schedule, btw:
    >
    > Twice a day, at least:
    > Check manually for updates for Grisoft AVG, and optionally for McAfee and
    > Trend Micro (those last two are automatic--every 3 hours for TM and every
    > 5 minutes for McAfee)

    Looks like you are spending a decent part of your bandwith for that.

    > Once a day at least:
    > Clear cache and history while IE is closed
    >

    > Three times a week at least:
    > Disk Cleanup
    >

    > Twice a week, or after an update, whichever comes first:
    >
    > Update and/or Run:
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > SpyBot S&D
    > CWShredder
    > SpywareBlaster
    > Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-spyware program
    > Trend Micro PC-cillin hole finder
    > McAfee AS 2005
    > Windows Update
    >

    > Once a week, or after an update, whichever comes first:
    >
    > Update/Run:
    >
    > Grisoft AVG
    > Trend Micro PC-cillin AV
    >

    > Once a week:
    >
    > Disk Defragment
    > Clean Monitor with Windex
    > Install, update, run, then uninstall Microsoft AS Beta

    Well, in that time you could have setup a mail-, web- ftp- sambaserver,
    learned about tcpip, dhcp and proxying and dns "just for fun", download
    GoodStuff(tm) via bittorrent, and much more, without even noticing there
    are viruses or spyware. You could also have written a book aor another
    hundred pages with openoffice.

    > I do not do hard drive backups as of yet.

    That's why I don't recommend my OS to you. You are lost and doomed, and your
    nice full-time windows-"admin" job will be blown into oblivion when just a
    few important sectors on your harddrive are on their way out. And you know,
    current harddrives do last about as much time as warranty. Not much longer,
    because the computer shop you bought your last drive will be o.o.b. by that
    time, and you really don't want to send your defective drive to korea,
    singapore or hungary.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, May 9, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    >I have been using the free versions of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster,
    >CWShredder for over a year now, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta since it was
    >released (for Microsoft ASWB, I install it, update it twice, run it, then
    >uninstall it once every week). Doing this has deceived me into thinking my
    >computer has been spyware free.
    >
    >Well, just recently, I purchased a version of McAfee AntiSpyware 2005 on a
    >whim, since it was free after rebate. I installed it. And in less than 4
    >days, in two different scans, it has found 3 new spywares that all the
    >others above failed to detect!! they were elula.dldr, wupd, and elitebar.
    >
    >This just goes to show you you get what you pay for! I thought I was safe,
    >but wasn't! I'm glad I purchased McAfee. I will also soon install CA Pest
    >Patrol 2005, and SpySubtract Pro. I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin
    >recently.

    Are you sure that McAfee was not giving you "false positives"? That
    is a recurring problem with many antispyware products.

    The only extensive test of spyware products that I am aware of is one
    done last fall by Eric Howes (http://www.spywarewarrior.com). His
    results indicated that Giant Antispyware (now Microsoft Antispyware
    Beta 1) was the single best available product, but that even a
    combination of two products was still not going to catch everything.

    I note that you did not include HiJackThis in your list of free
    software. That is the essential backstop program for any spyware
    removal process, so as to allow a manual cleanup of whatever has
    gotten by the other removal programs.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, May 9, 2005
  20. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Having to use IE for testing doesn't mean you have to use it for your
    >> own general browsing. I have it on an old laptop for site testing, but
    >> that's *all* I use it for.

    > And you don't have SP2?

    Nope. Not even SP1.

    --