Warner DVD Decision '06 (Remember those?)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Derek Janssen, May 31, 2006.

  1. With their classic MGM catalog now over at Sony, Warner has gone back to
    *asking* us which movies we'd like to see on disk, by clicking on "vote"
    links at:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/165670011/103-5791593-9184620

    The categories are:
    - Action -
    * Al Capone
    * Cimarron (1960)
    * Gymkata
    * The Hand (Oliver Stone)
    * The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
    * Operation Crossbow
    * Up Periscope (1959)

    - Comedy/Musical
    * Angels in the Outfield (1951)
    * April in Paris
    * Best Foot Forward
    * Blume in Love
    * The Eddie Cantor Story
    * Get to Know Your Rabbit
    * Not with My Wife You Don't
    * Presenting Lily Mars
    * You're a Big Boy Now

    - Drama
    * All Fall Down
    * The Arrangment
    * Band of Angels
    * Bhowani Junction
    * Carny
    * The Illustrated Man
    * Looker
    * Madame Curie
    * Made in Heaven (1987)
    * Mike's Murder
    * One Trick Pony
    * Sphinx
    * Sunrise at Campobello
    * There Was a Crooked Man... (1970)

    (Just to give you an idea of how far Warner's gotten to the bottom of
    their lists, unless they're planning a "60's Early-Cult" collection...)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 31, 2006

  2. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > With their classic MGM catalog now over at Sony, Warner has gone back to
    > *asking* us which movies we'd like to see on disk, by clicking on "vote"
    > links at:
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/165670011/103-5791593-9184620
    >
    > The categories are:
    > - Action -
    > * Al Capone
    > * Cimarron (1960)
    > * Gymkata
    > * The Hand (Oliver Stone)
    > * The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
    > * Operation Crossbow
    > * Up Periscope (1959)
    >
    > - Comedy/Musical
    > * Angels in the Outfield (1951)
    > * April in Paris
    > * Best Foot Forward
    > * Blume in Love
    > * The Eddie Cantor Story
    > * Get to Know Your Rabbit
    > * Not with My Wife You Don't
    > * Presenting Lily Mars
    > * You're a Big Boy Now
    >
    > - Drama
    > * All Fall Down
    > * The Arrangment
    > * Band of Angels
    > * Bhowani Junction
    > * Carny
    > * The Illustrated Man
    > * Looker
    > * Madame Curie
    > * Made in Heaven (1987)
    > * Mike's Murder
    > * One Trick Pony
    > * Sphinx
    > * Sunrise at Campobello
    > * There Was a Crooked Man... (1970)
    >

    > (Just to give you an idea of how far Warner's gotten to the bottom of
    > their lists, unless they're planning a "60's Early-Cult" collection...)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Other than a slight interest in The Illustrated Man, I'm not interested in
    any of those. Not that they're bad movies, But I've just never heard of
    most of them. Hopefully next time they do this, they'll put Electric Dreams
    on the list. I'd be curious to see how that does in one of their polls.
    Arthur Lipscomb, May 31, 2006

  3. Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>With their classic MGM catalog now over at Sony, Warner has gone back to
    >>*asking* us which movies we'd like to see on disk, by clicking on "vote"
    >>links at:
    >>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/165670011/103-5791593-9184620
    >>

    > Other than a slight interest in The Illustrated Man, I'm not interested in
    > any of those. Not that they're bad movies, But I've just never heard of
    > most of them.

    Used to have "Made in Heaven" on VHS, but it wasn't keeper-cute.
    And "Marie Curie" is one of those landmark actor-identifying 40's-Oscar
    roles (the one Greer Garson got kidded about for her entire career), so
    *deserves* to be on disk, but haven't seen it, m'self.

    (While "Sphinx", "Carny", and the Paul Simon "One-Trick Pony" could be
    boxed together in a Warner "One Week in Theaters Collection"...)

    > Hopefully next time they do this, they'll put Electric Dreams
    > on the list. I'd be curious to see how that does in one of their polls.

    It'll probably end up in Sony's, being an MGM film.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 31, 2006
  4. Derek Janssen

    Jim Reid Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > >>With their classic MGM catalog now over at Sony, Warner has gone back to
    > >>*asking* us which movies we'd like to see on disk,

    Warners did not lose the MGM catalog they had. The films that Sony now
    has are the United Artists and post-Turner buyout MGM releases.
    Jim Reid, May 31, 2006
  5. Derek Janssen

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Derek Janssen () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > (While "Sphinx", "Carny", and the Paul Simon "One-Trick Pony" could be
    > boxed together in a Warner "One Week in Theaters Collection"...)

    On a only somewhat related note, Robin Cook told me that "Sphinx" was
    the reason that no more of his novels became theatrical movies. After
    being spoiled by quality people working on the production of "Coma",
    he didn't expect that things could ever be as bad as "Sphinx", both
    during production and in the final product.

    The TV movies of his books haven't been particularly good, either, but
    the expectations are so much lower (and I think the money for him is
    nearly the same), so it's not as big a deal.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Hey, dogs guard.

    Jeff Rife, May 31, 2006
  6. Jeff Rife wrote:

    >>(While "Sphinx", "Carny", and the Paul Simon "One-Trick Pony" could be
    >>boxed together in a Warner "One Week in Theaters Collection"...)

    > On a only somewhat related note, Robin Cook told me that "Sphinx" was
    > the reason that no more of his novels became theatrical movies. After
    > being spoiled by quality people working on the production of "Coma",
    > he didn't expect that things could ever be as bad as "Sphinx", both
    > during production and in the final product.

    Although have to admit a certain brief goofy fondness for "Looker" when
    it came out (Michael Crichton hitting the writer-directorial skids
    between jobs, coming off of aforementioned "Coma" and "Great Train
    Robbery", and long before "Jurassic Park"), just on a hideously 70's
    sci-fi-TV level, but it's no "Runaway"--
    And whatever happened to Albert Finney's mainstream career after
    "Annie", anyway?

    (Unfortunately, to vote, you have to click Amazon's "E-mail me when
    announced" button, and, well, wouldn't go *that* far...)

    Derek Janssen (not even for "Presenting Lily Mars")
    Derek Janssen, May 31, 2006
  7. Derek Janssen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > And whatever happened to Albert Finney's mainstream career after
    > "Annie", anyway?

    Forgetting that Oscar nomination for Erin Brockovich?
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Jim Reid wrote:

    > Warners did not lose the MGM catalog they had. The films that Sony now
    > has are the United Artists and post-Turner buyout MGM releases.

    And now they don't even have that:
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6339508.html

    Derek Janssen (better Fox than Sony)
    Derek Janssen, Jun 1, 2006
  9. Derek Janssen

    Jordan Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > * Gymkata

    Laughably bad. Best thing about it is that it inspired an I-Mockery
    site:
    http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/gymkata/default.php

    > * The Illustrated Man

    Based on the Ray Bradbury story? That could be worth it.

    > * Looker

    Wow, I can't believe they're even considering this one...

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jun 2, 2006
  10. Derek Janssen

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Derek Janssen declared:
    > Jim Reid wrote:
    >
    >> Warners did not lose the MGM catalog they had. The films that Sony now
    >> has are the United Artists and post-Turner buyout MGM releases.

    > And now they don't even have that:
    > http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6339508.html
    >
    > Derek Janssen (better Fox than Sony)

    Fox is only the distributor. MGM (in which Sony has a 20% stake) is
    still making the decision of what will be released and how.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    Leela: Enjoy your death as I enjoyed killing you.
    Sean O'Hara, Jun 2, 2006