Warehouse Stationery Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a major
    business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone advise if this
    offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local to Auckland that is
    better if this is not. Their offering is:

    Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    V90 Modem
    10/100 Lan Card
    Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    2 USB Ports
    Plus Carry Bag
    Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    Plus Mouse
    $2024 (they say why pay $2399)

    cheers
    David
    David, Nov 15, 2003

  2. David wrote:
    > I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a
    > major business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone
    > advise if this offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local
    > to Auckland that is better if this is not. Their offering is:
    >
    > Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    > Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    > 256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    > 14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    > DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    > V90 Modem
    > 10/100 Lan Card
    > Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    > 2 USB Ports
    > Plus Carry Bag
    > Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    > Plus Mouse
    > $2024 (they say why pay $2399)

    How big is the harddrive? What about video memory? Glide pad for mouse as
    well? How long does the battery last? It sounds like a nice deal.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 15, 2003

  3. David

    Robert Guest

    Hmm - only XP Home & not XP Pro.
    What size hard disk.
    What warranty - Do you have to send it in? If so how long to fix? 1Year or
    3 year?

    Robert, Nov 15, 2003
  4. David

    David Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm - only XP Home & not XP Pro.
    > What size hard disk.
    > What warranty - Do you have to send it in? If so how long to fix? 1Year

    or
    > 3 year?

    Ahhh, forgot that - 30Gig hard drive. 1 year warranty (I suspect RTB, but
    it doesn't state) or 3 year for 10% more on the price. Glide Pad? Battery
    life...hmmm don't know.
    David, Nov 15, 2003
  5. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:29:57 +1300, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> scribbled:

    >David wrote:
    >> I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a
    >> major business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone
    >> advise if this offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local
    >> to Auckland that is better if this is not. Their offering is:
    >>
    >> Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    >> Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    >> 256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    >> 14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    >> DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    >> V90 Modem
    >> 10/100 Lan Card
    >> Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    >> 2 USB Ports
    >> Plus Carry Bag
    >> Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    >> Plus Mouse
    >> $2024 (they say why pay $2399)

    >How big is the harddrive? What about video memory? Glide pad for mouse as
    >well? How long does the battery last? It sounds like a nice deal.

    Knowing Toshiba it would be that icky green thing in between a few of
    the keys on the keyboard. They are horrible.

    I think the HD was 30GB.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Nov 15, 2003
  6. David

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 07:49:20 +1300, "David" <>
    wrote:

    >I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a major
    >business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone advise if this
    >offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local to Auckland that is
    >better if this is not. Their offering is:
    >
    >Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    >Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    >256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    >14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    >DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    >V90 Modem
    >10/100 Lan Card
    >Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    >2 USB Ports
    >Plus Carry Bag
    >Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    >Plus Mouse
    >$2024 (they say why pay $2399)
    >
    >cheers
    >David

    Toshiba's are great. In my opinion, the best.

    However, the RRP for this model is $2049, so I don't know where they
    get $2399 from...
    Gurble, Nov 16, 2003
  7. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:36:15 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 07:49:20 +1300, "David" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a major
    >>business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone advise if this
    >>offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local to Auckland that is
    >>better if this is not. Their offering is:
    >>
    >>Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    >>Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    >>256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    >>14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    >>DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    >>V90 Modem
    >>10/100 Lan Card
    >>Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    >>2 USB Ports
    >>Plus Carry Bag
    >>Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    >>Plus Mouse
    >>$2024 (they say why pay $2399)
    >>
    >>cheers
    >>David
    >>

    >Toshiba's are great. In my opinion, the best.
    >
    >However, the RRP for this model is $2049, so I don't know where they
    >get $2399 from...

    They con people most of the Time they did that recently on a DECT phone and
    claimed is was a Special, it was $10 dearer than any one else..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 16, 2003
  8. David

    David Guest

    > Toshiba's are great. In my opinion, the best.
    >
    > However, the RRP for this model is $2049, so I don't know where they
    > get $2399 from...

    Can you point me to where it says that...I suspect it is because of the
    printer and carry case - in which case I would get them to remove the
    printer and reduce the price accordingly - $350 for a printer and
    case...hah!
    David, Nov 16, 2003
  9. David

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:07:51 +1300, "David" <>
    wrote:

    >> Toshiba's are great. In my opinion, the best.
    >>
    >> However, the RRP for this model is $2049, so I don't know where they
    >> get $2399 from...

    >Can you point me to where it says that...I suspect it is because of the
    >printer and carry case - in which case I would get them to remove the
    >printer and reduce the price accordingly - $350 for a printer and
    >case...hah!

    Unfortunately the RRP for this model is not listed on Toshiba's
    website - this was from the NZ distributor.

    However, having said that, this seems to be a very good deal from
    Warehouse stationary. Usually places like this are heaps more
    expensive, and often even above the RRP. I would doubt you'll get a
    better deal on a Toshiba.
    Gurble, Nov 16, 2003
  10. David

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:55:46 +1300, Phillip Weston
    <> wrote:

    >Knowing Toshiba it would be that icky green thing in between a few of
    >the keys on the keyboard. They are horrible.
    >
    >I think the HD was 30GB.

    Ahhh, a clitoris mouse

    Jerry
    Jerry, Nov 16, 2003
  11. David

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:55:46 +1300, Phillip Weston
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Knowing Toshiba it would be that icky green thing in between a few of
    > >the keys on the keyboard. They are horrible.
    > >
    > >I think the HD was 30GB.

    > Ahhh, a clitoris mouse

    Always thought of them as green nipples..........

    Just saw the ad on telly though - and it appeared this one has a touch pad.

    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Nov 16, 2003
  12. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:55:46 +1300, Phillip Weston wrote:

    > Knowing Toshiba it would be that icky green thing in between a few of
    > the keys on the keyboard. They are horrible.

    A lot of the satellite range has both touchpad and clitmouse fitted...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 16, 2003
  13. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:56:11 +0100, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> scribbled:

    >On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:55:46 +1300, Phillip Weston wrote:
    >
    >> Knowing Toshiba it would be that icky green thing in between a few of
    >> the keys on the keyboard. They are horrible.

    >A lot of the satellite range has both touchpad and clitmouse fitted...

    Oh. I guess that's handy. I just recall all of the later Toshiba's I
    have seen had that horrible mouse which I had difficulty precisely
    controlling.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Nov 16, 2003
  14. David

    Robert Guest

    Also note that quite a lot of new laptops no longer have the legacy parallel
    & serial ports.
    Can catch people out that still want to use parallel printers.

    Robert, Nov 17, 2003
  15. Robert wrote:
    > Also note that quite a lot of new laptops no longer have the legacy
    > parallel & serial ports.
    > Can catch people out that still want to use parallel printers.

    You can get USB->Parallel and USB->Serial adaptors. They emulate the
    parallel/serial ports so that Windows can't tell the difference.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 17, 2003
  16. On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:43:08 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > You can get USB->Parallel and USB->Serial adaptors. They emulate the
    > parallel/serial ports so that Windows can't tell the difference.

    Dickhead smiths were flogging a USB -> ps2 kbd + ps2 mouse + 2 serial + 1
    parallel adaptor a couple of years ago...
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:43:08 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >> You can get USB->Parallel and USB->Serial adaptors. They emulate the
    >> parallel/serial ports so that Windows can't tell the difference.

    > Dickhead smiths were flogging a USB -> ps2 kbd + ps2 mouse + 2 serial
    > + 1 parallel adaptor a couple of years ago...

    Wow, that's pretty cool. I guess it is designed for laptop users - just roll
    up to a desk, plug in, and you have your full set of everything.

    Can you get a USB 2.0 video adapter..?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 17, 2003
  18. David

    Kookaburra Guest

    wrote:

    >I like the price - almost sub $2000, as I need a laptop but not as a major
    >business tool more as a backup when travelling. Can anyone advise if this
    >offer is a good one and/or point me to somewhere local to Auckland that is
    >better if this is not. Their offering is:
    >
    >Toshiba Satellite A10 with XP Home Edition
    >Mobile Celeron 2.2G
    >256MB Memory (expandable to 1 Gig)
    >14.1 TFT Active Matrix Display
    >DVD/CD-RW Drive (24x10x6)
    >V90 Modem
    >10/100 Lan Card
    >Wireless Capable (aerial in screen frame)
    >2 USB Ports
    >Plus Carry Bag
    >Plus Printer (which is not a carrot to me)
    >Plus Mouse
    >$2024 (they say why pay $2399)
    >
    >cheers
    >David

    My brother bought one of these yesterday and paid an extra $200 for a
    3 year guarantee. No mouse with it but it should arrive in Pamerston
    North by this coming weekend.

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Nov 17, 2003
  19. David

    Robert Guest

    There are users out there that need 'real' parallel & serial ports.
    Some that use legacy DOS programs to talk to things like industrial
    production control computers.
    I have met a few who have purchased converters to find that they wouldn't do
    what they wanted.

    Robert, Nov 18, 2003
  20. David

    nick Guest