Warehouse Stationery PC's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by C, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. C

    C Guest

    C, Dec 24, 2003

  2. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...1&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general
    >
    >Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    >drive? :)
    >
    >I was there this morning and didn't notice any cheap PC's (I did
    >notice that their DVD+RW recorder had gone up in price from $899 to
    >$999).

    I have been told its a once off, a canceled order.

    The DSE one looks far better and the same price.

    Brian Withers, Dec 24, 2003

  3. C

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...1&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general
    >
    >Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    >drive? :)

    What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
    you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
    can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
    will build such an image file for you to burn.

    Craig Shore, Dec 25, 2003
  4. C

    John Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...1&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general
    >>
    >>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    >>drive? :)

    > What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
    > you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
    > can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
    > will build such an image file for you to burn.

    I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
    Microsoft Money
    Password Agent
    Disk Manager
    These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
    want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
    hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
    backup to CD.
    For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.

    Regards
    John

    John, Dec 25, 2003
  5. C

    ac Guest

    In article <25uy29ue1gy6$>,
    lid says...

    snip

    > I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
    > Microsoft Money
    > Password Agent
    > Disk Manager
    > These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
    > want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
    > hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
    > backup to CD.
    > For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
    >
    > Regards
    > John

    And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    so much?

    ac, Dec 25, 2003
  6. On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...1&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general
    >>
    >>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    >>drive? :)

    >What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
    >you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
    >can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
    >will build such an image file for you to burn.

    Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.

    Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive diagnostic
    tools do..

    Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
    drive..

    Brian Withers, Dec 25, 2003
  7. On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac <> wrote:

    >In article <25uy29ue1gy6$>,
    > says...
    >
    >snip
    >

    >> I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
    >> Microsoft Money
    >> Password Agent
    >> Disk Manager
    >> These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
    >> want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
    >> hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
    >> backup to CD.
    >> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> John

    >And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    >so much?

    Yes I have no problems with Floppy disks etc..

    And in lots of cases they are needed..

    Try and run a IBM Hard Drive Diagnostic or a Seagate one with out one, or
    load Raid drivers with XP.

    Brian Withers, Dec 25, 2003
  8. C

    C Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:54:16 +1300, Brian Withers
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...1&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general
    >>>
    >>>Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    >>>drive? :)

    >>What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
    >>you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
    >>can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
    >>will build such an image file for you to burn.
    >>

    >Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.
    >
    >Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive diagnostic
    >tools do..
    >

    >Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
    >drive..

    And going back to my original query - what's the specs of the HP
    system then if the DSE is far better?

    I assume you're refering to the DSE Acer Aspire

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3feb0f52020ac1c2273fc0a87f9906e4/Product/View/XC5492

    Yes it has a floppy! But there's no bundled modem. At least it uses
    standard parts so upgrading it isn't a problem.

    C, Dec 25, 2003
  9. C

    John Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac wrote:

    > In article <25uy29ue1gy6$>,
    > lid says...
    >
    > snip
    >

    >> I use floppies to back up a number of programmes including:
    >> Microsoft Money
    >> Password Agent
    >> Disk Manager
    >> These programmes either back up to the hard drive or floppy. If you
    >> want to back these programmes onto CD's you need to back up to the
    >> hard drive first, then start up the CD burning programme and then
    >> backup to CD.
    >> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> John

    > And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    > so much?

    Just reread my posting, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere
    that I stated "I trust floppy disks".

    My trust in floppies would be on a par with my trust in re/writeable
    CD's and hard drives:) That's why I always have at least two floppies
    for backup on any programmes.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 25, 2003
  10. C

    Lebowski Guest

    "C" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:54:16 +1300, Brian Withers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:16:15 GMT, (Craig

    Shore)
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:29:01 GMT, (C) wrote:
    > >>

    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3540701&thesection=tec

    hnology&thesubsection=general

    > >>What do people need floppy drives for? You can boot off a CD, and if
    > >>you need to boot into DOS to do a firmware upgrade on any hardware you
    > >>can emulate booting off a floppy on a CD. There are utils around that
    > >>will build such an image file for you to burn.
    > >>

    > >Raid drivers for XP has to be loaded from a Floppy.
    > >
    > >Plus lost of devices that have firmware updates, and Hard drive

    diagnostic
    > >tools do..
    > >

    > >Any way DSE has a far better System at the same price and with a Floppy
    > >drive..

    > And going back to my original query - what's the specs of the HP
    > system then if the DSE is far better?
    >
    > I assume you're refering to the DSE Acer Aspire

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3feb0f52020ac1c2273fc0a87f9906e4/Product/View/XC5492

    > Yes it has a floppy! But there's no bundled modem. At least it uses
    > standard parts so upgrading it isn't a problem.

    Yeah it's weird they haven't put a modem with the deal - they're only 20
    bucks, why not just throw one in as people don't buy computers to play
    solitaire these days -it's for the wonderment of the internet.

    At least it was encouraging to see an AGP slot on this model, unlike that
    Dell system in The Warehouse a few weeks back.

    Lebowski, Dec 25, 2003
  11. C

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <>,

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3540701&thesection=technolo
    > gy&thesubsection=general
    >
    > Anybody know the specs of the $999 HP PC's? Do they come with a floppy
    > drive? :)
    >
    > I was there this morning and didn't notice any cheap PC's (I did
    > notice that their DVD+RW recorder had gone up in price from $899 to
    > $999).

    The HPs sold so fast they never hit the floor.
    Same with a run of Compaqs a few days later.
    I see they've got a higher specced machine in for the
    Boxing Day sale.

    DVD recorder listed today $799
    DVD player $79.99

    Peter KERR, Dec 25, 2003
  12. C

    J.Clampett Guest

    Peter KERR wrote:
    > In article <>,

    > DVD recorder listed today $799

    Warehouse Stationery
    HP DVD300E
    DVD 4x
    CD 16x
    $449

    J.Clampett, Dec 25, 2003
  13. On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:58:32 +1300, Brian Withers wrote:

    >>And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    >>so much?

    > Yes I have no problems with Floppy disks etc..

    How often do you check your backups?

    > And in lots of cases they are needed..

    Not really.

    > Try and run a IBM Hard Drive Diagnostic or a Seagate one with out one, or
    > load Raid drivers with XP.

    I have those on Cdrom (along with Maxtor's drive diagnotics and a few
    other useful bits) which is read after booting off a Freedos CDROM.

    If I want a one-step process I can copy the disk image to the boot unit
    of an El-torito formatted cdrom and do it that way.

    How do you think memtest86 bootable CD works?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 26, 2003
  14. C

    C Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:47:10 +1300, "J.Clampett" <>
    wrote:

    >Peter KERR wrote:
    >> In article <>,

    >> DVD recorder listed today $799

    >Warehouse Stationery
    >HP DVD300E
    >DVD 4x
    >CD 16x
    >$449

    I think the $799 refers to a standalone DVD recorder - not a PC based
    one.

    C, Dec 26, 2003
  15. C

    T.N.O. Guest

    John wrote:
    > My trust in floppies would be on a par with my trust in re/writeable
    > CD's and hard drives:) That's why I always have at least two floppies
    > for backup on any programmes.

    I must say that I personally trust CDR and HDD media a tad more than
    Floppy... at least they don't grow mould on them.

    T.N.O., Dec 26, 2003
  16. In article <1m2j7yb0zsbdj$.1qza63o5hkm1b$>,
    John <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac wrote:
    >
    >> In article <25uy29ue1gy6$>,
    >> lid says...
    >>
    >>> For me it's just that much easier to backup to a floppy.

    >> And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    >> so much?

    >Just reread my posting, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere
    >that I stated "I trust floppy disks".

    I think the word "backup" normally implies "trust". If you can't trust
    your backup, then it's not really backing you up, is it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2003
  17. C

    John Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:20:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <1m2j7yb0zsbdj$.1qza63o5hkm1b$>,
    > John <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:16:25 +1300, ac wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <25uy29ue1gy6$>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> And I have to ask this question: Why the hell do you trust floppy disks
    >>> so much?

    >>Just reread my posting, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere
    >>that I stated "I trust floppy disks".

    > I think the word "backup" normally implies "trust". If you can't trust
    > your backup, then it's not really backing you up, is it?

    I would have thought the word meant the complete opposite, you backup
    because you don't trust. But that's really not the issue here is it?
    Any backup made is no more trustworthy than the original. By backing
    up you are just lessening the risk, it doesn't make the backup any
    more reliable or trustworthy than the original.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 27, 2003
  18. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:07:17 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > I must say that I personally trust CDR and HDD media a tad more than
    > Floppy... at least they don't grow mould on them.

    I've seen mouldy CDs - but a squirt of spray-and-wipe makes them useable
    again.

    You can't do that with floppies - and last time I tried to verify my
    floppies about 80% had bitrot after 12 months.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 27, 2003
  19. C

    harry Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:20:33 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1m2j7yb0zsbdj$.1qza63o5hkm1b$>,
    >> John <> wrote:

    >>> Just reread my posting, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere
    >>> that I stated "I trust floppy disks".

    >> I think the word "backup" normally implies "trust". If you can't
    >> trust your backup, then it's not really backing you up, is it?

    > I would have thought the word meant the complete opposite, you backup
    > because you don't trust. But that's really not the issue here is it?
    > Any backup made is no more trustworthy than the original. By backing
    > up you are just lessening the risk, it doesn't make the backup any
    > more reliable or trustworthy than the original.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    "Trust but verify"
    (Ronald Reagan)