Warehouse Stationery $69.95 Computer Desk Deal

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of these
    packages and had it delivered for $20 more.

    This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble and
    appears to be reasonably well designed. The keyboard shelf is too shallow
    and too narrow for my liking. There is barely enough room for the
    keyboard and mouse, and extra wide keyboards, those with wrist rests or
    extra buttons will be very cramped. Then you might wish to put the mouse
    on the main desk top.

    Due to excessive clearances the keyboard shelf has too much side play.
    You should shim out the rail on one side with washers - may need longer
    screws.

    The bookshelf needs extra structural stiffening, which could be achieved
    by fitting a screw on each end of the three back panels. These panels are
    only held in place by press in dowels with 7 mm into the side of the
    bookcase.

    I found the instructions reasonably easy to understand and all the panels
    have number stickers on them. Care needs to be taken not to strip screw
    threads in the wood. Cam nuts have to be hammered into the desk top with
    some difficulty. Dowels used to support the two intermediate shelves are
    a little too short. Some screw holes do not line up.

    It would make a good little unit for a kid's room or sleepout etc.
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Richard Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of these
    > packages and had it delivered for $20 more.

    Whats it made out of? Low density fibre or something a bit better?
    Richard, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    samg Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of
    > these packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    >
    > This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble

    made for malaysian sized people to.
    samg, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Newsman Guest

    On 29 Apr 2004 20:51:03 +1200, samg <> wrote:

    >Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    >> This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of
    >> these packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    >>
    >> This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble

    >made for malaysian sized people to.

    $69?

    From your description of it and the apparently crude manufacture,
    you've been well had!
    Newsman, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Sprat Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:26:40 GMT, (Newsman)
    wrote:

    >On 29 Apr 2004 20:51:03 +1200, samg <> wrote:
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of
    >>> these packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    >>>
    >>> This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble

    >>made for malaysian sized people to.

    >$69?
    >
    >From your description of it and the apparently crude manufacture,
    >you've been well had!

    Ha ha ha ha, Patrick Dunford, that discerning shopper, he who slags
    small traders, bought a hunk of imported Asian junk from a huge and
    reputable retailer!

    Made of Weet Bix, just add moisture and it will flake. Give it a week
    of Patrick playing with himself and it will have wobbled itself apart.

    Bargain? I think not. They saw you coming Patrick. Well done, fool.
    Sprat, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Richard
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of these
    > > packages and had it delivered for $20 more.

    > Whats it made out of? Low density fibre or something a bit better?

    MDF and particle board, like most kitset furniture these days.

    You can get Criterion and other NZ made stuff for more $. I got this
    knowing that I can always put in extra bits of wood to hold it together
    if necessary.
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004
  7. samg
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of
    > > these packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    > >
    > > This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble

    > made for malaysian sized people to.

    It is the smallest one they make I think. There is a range of sizes.
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004
  8. Sprat
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:26:40 GMT, (Newsman)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On 29 Apr 2004 20:51:03 +1200, samg <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > >>made for malaysian sized people to.

    > >$69?
    > >
    > >From your description of it and the apparently crude manufacture,
    > >you've been well had!

    > Ha ha ha ha, Patrick Dunford, that discerning shopper, he who slags
    > small traders, bought a hunk of imported Asian junk from a huge and
    > reputable retailer!

    Yes, they delivered it when they said they would, the very next day after
    it was ordered, by a reputable delivery company.

    I bet all your small time computer hardware is made in asia as well,
    troll

    Get a life, tosser
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004
  9. Sprat
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:26:40 GMT, (Newsman)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On 29 Apr 2004 20:51:03 +1200, samg <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > >>made for malaysian sized people to.

    > >$69?
    > >
    > >From your description of it and the apparently crude manufacture,
    > >you've been well had!

    > Ha ha ha ha, Patrick Dunford, that discerning shopper, he who slags
    > small traders, bought a hunk of imported Asian junk from a huge and
    > reputable retailer!

    Some traders deserve slagging. What is your problem? Are you a useless
    small trader who is never going to become a big one because you lose too
    many customers through bad service?
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    splat Guest

    "Sprat" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:16:52 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Sprat

    assemble

    > >> Ha ha ha ha, Patrick Dunford, that discerning shopper, he who slags
    > >> small traders, bought a hunk of imported Asian junk from a huge and
    > >> reputable retailer!

    > >Some traders deserve slagging. What is your problem? Are you a useless
    > >small trader who is never going to become a big one because you lose too
    > >many customers through bad service?

    > Nope, just an observer.
    >
    > Are you still into the Christianity stuff, Patrick? I remember you
    > years ago espousing the Christian ethic. I notice that these days you
    > use words and attitudes that don't quite fit the clean living
    > Christian format.

    I think he got a little confused. Maybe he thinks you are me? Or am I you?

    Thats what you get when the original poster felt the need to crosspost i
    guess.

    :)
    splat, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    Sprat Guest

    Sprat, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of these
    > packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    >
    > This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble and
    > appears to be reasonably well designed. The keyboard shelf is too shallow
    > and too narrow for my liking. There is barely enough room for the
    > keyboard and mouse, and extra wide keyboards, those with wrist rests or
    > extra buttons will be very cramped. Then you might wish to put the mouse
    > on the main desk top.
    >
    > Due to excessive clearances the keyboard shelf has too much side play.
    > You should shim out the rail on one side with washers - may need longer
    > screws.
    >
    > The bookshelf needs extra structural stiffening, which could be achieved
    > by fitting a screw on each end of the three back panels. These panels are
    > only held in place by press in dowels with 7 mm into the side of the
    > bookcase.
    >
    > I found the instructions reasonably easy to understand and all the panels
    > have number stickers on them. Care needs to be taken not to strip screw
    > threads in the wood. Cam nuts have to be hammered into the desk top with
    > some difficulty. Dowels used to support the two intermediate shelves are
    > a little too short. Some screw holes do not line up.
    >
    > It would make a good little unit for a kid's room or sleepout etc.

    If they actually know what they are doing, decent hobiest could make one
    of those to fit at a far cheaper price (talking cost of materials here).
    Murray Sutherland, Apr 29, 2004
  13. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    <snip>
    > This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble
    > and appears to be reasonably well designed. The keyboard shelf is too
    > shallow and too narrow for my liking

    I bought a computer desk from Warehouse Stationery (Not sure if it is the
    same one - this one is black and blue), and it is utter rubbish. Has the
    same problem you describe: There is room for either a keyboard or a mouse on
    the tray, but not both.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 29, 2004
  14. Patrick Dunford

    geoffm Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:17:01 +1200, Murray Sutherland
    <murray{removethis}> wrote:
    >If they actually know what they are doing, decent hobiest could make one
    >of those to fit at a far cheaper price (talking cost of materials here).

    I woudln't bet on it, especially if you want the "timber grained"
    veneer or meltica. I have priced up making this stuff in the past, and
    despite having all the gear, you just can't make it as cheap as you
    can buy it.
    The best example is the white Meltica 2 door storage cupboards,
    usually for aroudn $140-150. You can't buy the materials for that
    price.
    Geoff
    --
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
    geoffm, Apr 29, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford

    John B Guest

    I bought a computer desk from Warehouse Stationary yesterday and assembled it.
    $284 incl delivery.

    Made in Denmark. Sliding tray for scanner and keyboard. Plenty of room for
    everything. Drawer. Shelves. Two side towers with shelves and cd racks. Monitor
    sits between them.

    It's great. Went together really well. All dowels, screws etc had pre-drilled
    holes and everything matched up perfectly. I guess you get what you pay for.
    --
    John B

    John B, Apr 29, 2004
  16. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > I bought a computer desk from Warehouse Stationery (Not sure if it is the
    > same one - this one is black and blue), and it is utter rubbish. Has the
    > same problem you describe: There is room for either a keyboard or a mouse on
    > the tray, but not both.

    you didn't check this out before you bought it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2004
  17. Patrick Dunford

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > > I bought a computer desk from Warehouse Stationery (Not sure if it is

    the
    > > same one - this one is black and blue), and it is utter rubbish. Has the
    > > same problem you describe: There is room for either a keyboard or a

    mouse on
    > > the tray, but not both.

    > you didn't check this out before you bought it.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall

    Exactly, Dave. Even just the listed dimensions would give some idea about
    it.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 29, 2004
  18. Patrick Dunford

    Sonn Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > I bought a computer desk from Warehouse Stationary yesterday and assembled

    it.
    > $284 incl delivery.
    >
    > Made in Denmark. Sliding tray for scanner and keyboard. Plenty of room for
    > everything. Drawer. Shelves. Two side towers with shelves and cd racks.

    Monitor
    > sits between them.
    >
    > It's great. Went together really well. All dowels, screws etc had

    pre-drilled
    > holes and everything matched up perfectly. I guess you get what you pay

    for.
    > --
    > John B

    I bought the basic deck and two drawer (writing desk), and one of those
    wheelie filing drawer-cabinets to fit beside or underneat. Be wary buying
    kitset from Warehouse Stationery. The instructions come with extremely tiny
    pictures, and working is in Asian, and you need plenty of spare time.
    S.
    Sonn, Apr 29, 2004
  19. Patrick Dunford

    richard Guest

    > MDF and particle board, like most kitset furniture these days.
    >
    > You can get Criterion and other NZ made stuff for more $. I got this
    > knowing that I can always put in extra bits of wood to hold it together
    > if necessary.

    MDF is good, most desks I have seen are made out of something thats less
    dence then bean bag stuffing.
    richard, Apr 30, 2004
  20. Murray Sutherland
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > This is a deal with a small bookcase thrown in. I purchased one of these
    > > packages and had it delivered for $20 more.
    > >
    > > This is a Malaysian made product. It is not too difficult to assemble and
    > > appears to be reasonably well designed. The keyboard shelf is too shallow
    > > and too narrow for my liking. There is barely enough room for the
    > > keyboard and mouse, and extra wide keyboards, those with wrist rests or
    > > extra buttons will be very cramped. Then you might wish to put the mouse
    > > on the main desk top.
    > >
    > > Due to excessive clearances the keyboard shelf has too much side play.
    > > You should shim out the rail on one side with washers - may need longer
    > > screws.
    > >
    > > The bookshelf needs extra structural stiffening, which could be achieved
    > > by fitting a screw on each end of the three back panels. These panels are
    > > only held in place by press in dowels with 7 mm into the side of the
    > > bookcase.
    > >
    > > I found the instructions reasonably easy to understand and all the panels
    > > have number stickers on them. Care needs to be taken not to strip screw
    > > threads in the wood. Cam nuts have to be hammered into the desk top with
    > > some difficulty. Dowels used to support the two intermediate shelves are
    > > a little too short. Some screw holes do not line up.
    > >
    > > It would make a good little unit for a kid's room or sleepout etc.

    > If they actually know what they are doing, decent hobiest could make one
    > of those to fit at a far cheaper price (talking cost of materials here).

    I helped my Dad build one a few years back. The keyboard slide runs on
    drawer runners which are easily obtainable from hardware stores.
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 30, 2004