Warehouse stationary deceptive advertising becomes a pain

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RayC, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. RayC

    RayC Guest

    In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    for sale at $39.00.

    I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    have been sold.

    I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..

    Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.

    so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    in hand.

    I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    rainchecks.

    I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    and
    in Commerce Commission reporting territory.

    I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    levels when making
    sales choices.

    Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems

    RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am so pleased.

    RayC, Mar 26, 2007

  2. RayC

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:42:47 +1200, RayC wrote:

    > In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    > for sale at $39.00.
    >
    > I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    > have been sold.
    >
    > I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >
    > Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >
    > so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    > in hand.
    >
    > I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    > rainchecks.
    >
    > I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    > and
    > in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >
    > I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    > care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    > levels when making

    Insist they transfer the stock interbranch. They will be doing this sort of
    thing all the time. Your unit is trivial in terms of size and can easily be
    added to another transfer.
    --

    cheers

    Warwick, Mar 26, 2007

  3. RayC

    CM Guest

    On 26 Mar, 17:42, "RayC" <> wrote:
    > In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    > for sale at $39.00.
    >
    > I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    > have been sold.
    >
    > I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >
    > Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >
    > so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    > in hand.
    >
    > I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    > rainchecks.
    >
    > I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    > and
    > in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >
    > I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    > care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    > levels when making
    > sales choices.
    >
    > Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >
    > RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I am so pleased.

    Get over it you flipping whinging looser.

    CM, Mar 26, 2007
  4. RayC

    bharmer Guest

    On 26 Mar 2007 06:19:47 -0700, "CM" <> wrote:

    >On 26 Mar, 17:42, "RayC" <> wrote:
    >> In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    >> for sale at $39.00.
    >>
    >> I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    >> have been sold.
    >>
    >> I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >>
    >> Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >>
    >> so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    >> in hand.
    >>
    >> I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    >> rainchecks.
    >>
    >> I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    >> and
    >> in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >>
    >> I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    >> care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    >> levels when making
    >> sales choices.
    >>
    >> Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >>
    >> RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> I am so pleased.

    >Get over it you flipping whinging looser.

    I don't think he should. Bait advertisning is unlawful.

    bharmer, Mar 26, 2007
  5. RayC wrote:
    > In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    > for sale at $39.00.
    >
    > I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    > have been sold.
    >
    > I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >
    > Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >
    > so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    > in hand.
    >
    > I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    > rainchecks.
    >
    > I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    > and
    > in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >
    > I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    > care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    > levels when making
    > sales choices.
    >
    > Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >
    > RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I am so pleased.

    Very standard practice and not just by this company, bait advertising is indeed
    the case

    Collector»NZ, Mar 26, 2007
  6. "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > RayC wrote:
    > > In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb

    drive
    > > for sale at $39.00.
    > >
    > > I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in

    stock
    > > have been sold.
    > >
    > > I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    > >
    > > Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    > >
    > > so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have

    stocks
    > > in hand.
    > >
    > > I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    > > rainchecks.
    > >
    > > I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive

    trading
    > > and
    > > in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    > >
    > > I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does

    not
    > > care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore

    stock
    > > levels when making
    > > sales choices.
    > >
    > > Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    > >
    > > RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > I am so pleased.
    > >

    > Very standard practice and not just by this company, bait advertising is

    indeed
    > the case

    Why piss around? Go straight to the Commerce Commission.

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 26, 2007
  7. RayC

    Tony Guest

    RayC wrote:
    > In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    > for sale at $39.00.
    >
    > I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    > have been sold.
    >
    > I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >
    > Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >
    > so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    > in hand.
    >
    > I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    > rainchecks.
    >
    > I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    > and
    > in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >
    > I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    > care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    > levels when making
    > sales choices.
    >
    > Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >
    > RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I am so pleased.

    Don't just talk about it, lay a complaint.

    Tony, Mar 26, 2007
  8. RayC

    Tony Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> RayC wrote:
    >>> In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb

    > drive
    >>> for sale at $39.00.
    >>>
    >>> I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in

    > stock
    >>> have been sold.
    >>>
    >>> I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >>>
    >>> Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >>>
    >>> so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have

    > stocks
    >>> in hand.
    >>>
    >>> I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    >>> rainchecks.
    >>>
    >>> I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive

    > trading
    >>> and
    >>> in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >>>
    >>> I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does

    > not
    >>> care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore

    > stock
    >>> levels when making
    >>> sales choices.
    >>>
    >>> Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >>>
    >>> RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> I am so pleased.
    >>>

    >> Very standard practice and not just by this company, bait advertising is

    > indeed
    >> the case

    > Why piss around? Go straight to the Commerce Commission.

    The appropriate place is the Advertising Standards Authority
    http://www.asa.co.nz/

    Tony, Mar 26, 2007
  9. RayC

    Barry Lennox Guest

    wrote:

    >In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    >for sale at $39.00.

    Just tell them they have "x" days to get yours in stock; or: It's off
    to "Fair Go'. "Consumer" and the Commerce Commission.

    You should also keep brief notes of all conversations with them (Date,
    time and whom)

    Barry Lennox, Mar 26, 2007
  10. RayC

    bharmer Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:43:08 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >> drive

    >> stock

    >> stocks

    >> trading

    >> not

    >> stock

    >>> Very standard practice and not just by this company, bait advertising is

    >> indeed
    >>> the case

    >> Why piss around? Go straight to the Commerce Commission.

    >The appropriate place is the Advertising Standards Authority
    >http://www.asa.co.nz/

    No, it's the Fair Trading Unit at the Commerce Commission. Unlike the
    ASA, they actually have teeth (though in my opinion, they are rarely
    used) See http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

    bharmer, Mar 26, 2007
  11. RayC

    Tony Guest

    > No, it's the Fair Trading Unit at the Commerce Commission. Unlike the
    > ASA, they actually have teeth (though in my opinion, they are rarely
    > used) See http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

    I disagree the problem is related to them not honestly providing what
    they are advertising, which clearly is the role of the ASA. The we not
    involved in anti-competitive or similar behavior.

    Tony, Mar 26, 2007
  12. RayC

    a_l_p Guest

    bharmer wrote:
    > On 26 Mar 2007 06:19:47 -0700, "CM" <> wrote:
    >

    >>On 26 Mar, 17:42, "RayC" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    >>>for sale at $39.00.
    >>>
    >>>I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    >>>have been sold.
    >>>
    >>>I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >>>
    >>>Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >>>
    >>>so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    >>>in hand.
    >>>
    >>>I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    >>>rainchecks.
    >>>
    >>>I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    >>>and
    >>>in Commerce Commission reporting territory.

    Yes. Report it.

    >>>I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    >>>care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    >>>levels when making
    >>>sales choices.
    >>>
    >>>Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >>>
    >>>RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>
    >>>I am so pleased.

    >>Get over it you flipping whinging looser.

    > I don't think he should. Bait advertisning is unlawful.

    Briscoes got a well-deserved slapping for that a while back.

    A L P

    a_l_p, Mar 26, 2007
  13. RayC

    a_l_p Guest

    Barry Lennox wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:42:47 +1200, "RayC" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    >>for sale at $39.00.

    > Just tell them they have "x" days to get yours in stock; or: It's off
    > to "Fair Go'. "Consumer" and the Commerce Commission.
    >
    > You should also keep brief notes of all conversations with them (Date,
    > time and whom)

    No, that lets them keep on doing the same thing to other people. Report them.
    You'll still get your goods and they'll be stopped from trying it on with other
    customers. And you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did your small bit
    for the good of your fellow shoppers! :)

    A L P

    a_l_p, Mar 26, 2007
  14. "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > > No, it's the Fair Trading Unit at the Commerce Commission. Unlike the
    > > ASA, they actually have teeth (though in my opinion, they are rarely
    > > used) See http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

    > I disagree the problem is related to them not honestly providing what
    > they are advertising, which clearly is the role of the ASA. The we not
    > involved in anti-competitive or similar behavior.

    If you cannot choose which authority to go to have a go at all of them.

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 27, 2007
  15. "Barry Lennox" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:42:47 +1200, "RayC" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb

    drive
    > >for sale at $39.00.

    > Just tell them they have "x" days to get yours in stock; or: It's off
    > to "Fair Go'. "Consumer" and the Commerce Commission.
    >
    > You should also keep brief notes of all conversations with them (Date,
    > time and whom)

    That is the way. "My complaints to ....... are typed and ready to go. I
    will press the Enter button at 12 noon tomorrow."

    Roger Dewhurst, Mar 27, 2007
  16. RayC

    bharmer Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:48:12 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >> No, it's the Fair Trading Unit at the Commerce Commission. Unlike the
    >> ASA, they actually have teeth (though in my opinion, they are rarely
    >> used) See http://www.comcom.govt.nz/Inquiries/contactus.aspx

    >I disagree the problem is related to them not honestly providing what
    >they are advertising, which clearly is the role of the ASA. The we not
    >involved in anti-competitive or similar behavior.

    It is contrary to the Fair Trading Act. That is what the unit is
    about. I have used them myself in similar circumstances and they
    moved quickly.

    bharmer, Mar 27, 2007
  17. RayC

    Donchano Guest

    On 26 Mar 2007 06:19:47 -0700, "CM" <> magnanimously
    proffered:

    >On 26 Mar, 17:42, "RayC" <> wrote:
    >> In my local mailer two weekends ago they advertised an Apacer 1GB usb drive
    >> for sale at $39.00.
    >>
    >> I travelled 8km to buy one at midday and was told the two we had in stock
    >> have been sold.
    >>
    >> I was put on the raincheck list for this purchase..
    >>
    >> Then last weekend the mailer is repeated to our mailbox.
    >>
    >> so I ring them and say where is my USB drive seeing that you now have stocks
    >> in hand.
    >>
    >> I was told that they have none in stock and are adding to a huge list of
    >> rainchecks.
    >>
    >> I got upset and told the salesman that this was close to deceptive trading
    >> and
    >> in Commerce Commission reporting territory.
    >>
    >> I was informed that the national office puts out the mailers and does not
    >> care about marginal stock levels in shops or worse decides to ignore stock
    >> levels when making
    >> sales choices.
    >>
    >> Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems
    >>
    >> RAIN CHECKS ARE THE LATEST TREND IN SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> I am so pleased.

    >Get over it you flipping whinging looser.

    School holidays start early?

    Donchano, Mar 27, 2007
  18. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Passed all info to the link provided by a previous poster.

    Thanks for your help --all.

    RayC, Mar 27, 2007
  19. RayC

    Richard Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    >> You should also keep brief notes of all conversations with them (Date,
    >> time and whom)

    > That is the way. "My complaints to ....... are typed and ready to go. I
    > will press the Enter button at 12 noon tomorrow."

    Do it now, fuckem, I'm sick of places doing crap like this... Countdown
    are the worst in my experiences.

    Richard, Mar 27, 2007
  20. RayC

    Paula Guest

    "RayC" <> wrote in message

    > Management needs a lesson in customer satisfaction it seems

    Wouldn't surprise me - we went into our local store (Wairau Park) and
    ordered a desk and drawer unit. We were told it would be available for
    pickup in 7 to 10 days. Just over a month, two visits and six phone calls
    later, we were finally able to collect it.

    NOT ONCE did they call me back when I queried where our items were. NOT ONCE
    did they phone me off their own bat to tell me there was a delay. They
    didn't even phone me on the day it did arrive into their store, and it was
    only luck I popped in the following day to bust some butt! And the so called
    customer service guy's handwriting was so bad that they had my order filed
    under a completely different name. And what was most annoying? The whole
    time they blamed the supplier. Never once did they take any of the blame for
    their poor customer service. And to add insult to injury, they were still
    not telling other customers at the time we picked up our desk and drawers
    that the delivery time could be up to a month!

    They deserve a good slapping indeed :)

    /Vent Off

    Paula

    Paula, Mar 27, 2007