    Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!) are
    selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back guarantee
    ;-)
    Invisible, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Invisible

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

    are
    > selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    guarantee
    > ;-)

    At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and now
    $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years ago
    when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?
    Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
    system from Noel Leeming.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Invisible

    BB Guest

    Dell = No FDD,

    though for some this isn't an issue.

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Invisible

    sal Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:

    >Dell = No FDD,
    >
    >though for some this isn't an issue.
    >
    >BB
    >NZ

    Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    system.
    sal, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:33:06 +1300, sal <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dell = No FDD,
    >>
    >>though for some this isn't an issue.
    >>
    >>BB
    >>NZ

    >Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    >system.

    Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
    will void the warranty.
    Invisible, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Invisible

    Lebowski Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Dell = No FDD,
    > >
    > >though for some this isn't an issue.
    > >
    > >BB
    > >NZ

    > Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    > system.

    Not an issue for me either - I haven't used one for over 2 years now (and
    that was only to carry assignments / Powerpoint presentations etc across
    from varsity to home pc and vice versa).

    Floppies are dead in my eyes. I want a dual-layer dvd writer instead :))
    Lebowski, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Invisible

    Lebowski Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

    are
    > selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    guarantee
    > ;-)

    I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the 256mb
    of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of 256meg
    to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone tries to
    play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.

    Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP slot?
    If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in the
    market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
    well clear of it.
    Lebowski, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:19:21 +1300, "Lebowski" <> wrote:

    >"Invisible" <> wrote in message
    >> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

    >are
    >> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    >guarantee
    >> ;-)
    >>

    >I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the 256mb
    >of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of 256meg
    >to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone tries to
    >play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.
    >
    >Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP slot?
    >If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in the
    >market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
    >well clear of it.

    Probably not. Someone was looking at a Dell as a lease to own deal, but they
    wanted an AGP card in. I checked online and that particular model had no AGP
    slot. This could be the same model.
    Invisible, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Invisible

    sal Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:04:47 +1300, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:33:06 +1300, sal <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dell = No FDD,
    >>>
    >>>though for some this isn't an issue.
    >>>
    >>>BB
    >>>NZ

    >>Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    >>system.

    >Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
    >will void the warranty.

    If it is installed by a computer professional, it shouldn't be a
    problem, as long as you have documentation that it has been done using
    a professional. I mean computers are made to be upgraded, and it isn't
    as though you can take the computer into a Dell shop and get it done.
    I had an issue with getting a new card added to my computer, and then
    something going wrong with something else in the computer, and the
    computer shop weren't going to honour the warranty, until I showed
    them documentation that the new card had been installed by a
    professional with the right qualifications.
    sal, Dec 12, 2003
  10. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal wrote:

    > I had an issue with getting a new card added to my computer, and then
    > something going wrong with something else in the computer, and the
    > computer shop weren't going to honour the warranty, until I showed
    > them documentation that the new card had been installed by a
    > professional with the right qualifications.

    Who decides what the "right qualifications" are?

    donald
    Donald Gordon, Dec 13, 2003
  11. Invisible

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:04:47 +1300, Invisible <>
    >wrote:

    >>>Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    >>>system.

    >>Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
    >>will void the warranty.
    >>

    >If it is installed by a computer professional, it shouldn't be a
    >problem, as long as you have documentation that it has been done using
    >a professional. I mean computers are made to be upgraded, and it isn't
    >as though you can take the computer into a Dell shop and get it done.
    >I had an issue with getting a new card added to my computer, and then
    >something going wrong with something else in the computer, and the
    >computer shop weren't going to honour the warranty, until I showed
    >them documentation that the new card had been installed by a
    >professional with the right qualifications.

    You can't even fit one the case has no option for it..
    Dumdedo, Dec 13, 2003
  12. Lebowski wrote:

    > I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the 256mb
    > of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of 256meg
    > to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone tries to
    > play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.

    Assuming its a direct-x game, yeah, but you dont buy a $1k PC for gaming
    capabilities.

    > Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP slot?
    > If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in the
    > market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
    > well clear of it.

    May do, most boards with onboard vid seem to have agp.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Invisible

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    >> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

    > are
    >> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    > guarantee
    >> ;-)

    > At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and now
    > $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years ago
    > when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

    Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
    the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
    $3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW! ;-)

    > Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
    > system from Noel Leeming.

    This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
    field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
    consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
    buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
    many buyers, who to date, have no choice.

    We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
    PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
    done without any interest in how the machine does the task.

    In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
    to be true by the ones of 1993.

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2003
  14. Invisible

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:33:06 +1300, sal <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dell = No FDD,
    >>>
    >>>though for some this isn't an issue.
    >>>
    >>>BB
    >>>NZ

    >>Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
    >>system.

    >Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
    >will void the warranty.

    Not necessarily.
    I have a Dell here in the US and had a SCSI card installed after
    checking installing it would not void the warranty.

    Dell USA no longer supply floppy drives with new machines unless you
    ask for one.

    I am not a big fan of Dell after having two hdd failures this year
    [one 3 months after the second one was installed] and two days ago,
    having nearly every major part replaced. It is still not operating
    correctly - with 4 days to go on the warranty.

    Trying to deal with the techs in India is not only time consuming but
    **extremely** fraustrating.

    Dell USA have recently reverted to tech services being re-established
    in the US for their business customers after the many many complaints.
    IMHO, hopefully, it's only a matter of time before they revert home
    consumer services also back to the US.

    My very cheap [US$300] e-machine is much more reliable than this
    US$1400 odd Dell.

    Cath
    , Dec 13, 2003
  15. Invisible

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:38:43 +1300, "Gordon" <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    >> "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    >>> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

    >> are
    >>> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    >> guarantee
    >>> ;-)

    >> At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and now
    >> $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years ago
    >> when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

    >Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
    >the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
    >$3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW! ;-)
    >
    >> Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
    >> system from Noel Leeming.

    >This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
    >field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
    >consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
    >buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
    >many buyers, who to date, have no choice.
    >
    >We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
    >PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
    >done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
    >
    >In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
    >to be true by the ones of 1993.

    Yes then they try to play games on it..
    Dumdedo, Dec 13, 2003
  16. Invisible

    cowboyz Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:38:43 +1300, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Invisible" <> wrote in message

    bargain!)
    > >> are
    > >> guarantee
    > >>
    > >> At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and

    now
    > >> $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years

    ago
    > >> when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

    > >Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards

    of
    > >the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
    > >$3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW! ;-)

    I have a couple of mates who have put together XP2200+ for under $1200 in
    the last week or so. Just damn amazing! It was only 8 or 9 months ago I
    paid $1400 for board, XP2100, 256 ram, GF4MX460 video, case and I thought
    that was good at the time.

    <snip>

    > >We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
    > >PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
    > >done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
    > >
    > >In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too

    good
    > >to be true by the ones of 1993.

    or even 1997. You don't have to go back 10 years to find expensive
    computers. I paid $700 for my Tbird 800 when it was the lastest and
    greatest thing. I wouldn't consider paying that much for a CPU now and yet
    on my list AMD's best offering is two thirds the price! (I am referring to
    XP3000+ at $478 which happens to be the best AMD CPU on my list)

    > Yes then they try to play games on it..

    Maybe they have a PS2 or Xbox for that?
    cowboyz, Dec 13, 2003
  17. Invisible

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    > > "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > >> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a

    bargain!)
    > > are
    > >> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

    > > guarantee
    > >> ;-)

    > > At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and

    now
    > > $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years

    ago
    > > when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

    > Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
    > the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
    > $3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW! ;-)
    >
    > > Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
    > > system from Noel Leeming.

    > This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
    > field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
    > consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
    > buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
    > many buyers, who to date, have no choice.
    >
    > We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
    > PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
    > done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
    >
    > In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
    > to be true by the ones of 1993.

    In 93 basic systems struggled with damn near anything, they got things done
    but very slowly and not without the far more common crash compared to
    today's more reliable systems.
    At 1 grand with 17" monitor and XP they're getting damn good value all
    right.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 13, 2003
  18. Invisible

    Lebowski Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Lebowski wrote:
    >
    > > I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the

    256mb
    > > of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of

    256meg
    > > to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone

    tries to
    > > play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.

    > Assuming its a direct-x game, yeah, but you dont buy a $1k PC for gaming
    > capabilities.
    >
    > > Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP

    slot?
    > > If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in

    the
    > > market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
    > > well clear of it.

    > May do, most boards with onboard vid seem to have agp.

    well it seems this particular model does not have AGP, therefore it's a
    no-no. Ah well... :-/
    Lebowski, Dec 13, 2003
  19. Invisible

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <> wrote:

    >professional with the right qualifications.

    Which are they ?

    I'm still waiting for Gavin to fill me in on the mythical 'industry
    standards'; you can fill me in on the 'right qualifications'.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.
    Brendan, Dec 13, 2003
  20. Invisible

    sal Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:08:31 +1300, Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox
    (dot com)> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <> wrote:
    >
    >>professional with the right qualifications.

    >Which are they ?
    >
    >I'm still waiting for Gavin to fill me in on the mythical 'industry
    >standards'; you can fill me in on the 'right qualifications'.

    I suppose it is what the dispute tribunal would consider were
    adequate. I am sure that there is a precedence for this scenario.
    sal, Dec 13, 2003