    have USB 2 ports - he does a fair bit of scanning and his scanner is USB 2
    so I figure, this will give him a bit of a speed boost.

    Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

    Whosamawotsit, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Whosamawotsit wrote:
    > Any idea what the graphics capabilities are in these things? Is there are
    > spare AGP slot so I can throw in a better card for him later on down the
    > track (I'm about to retire my old GF4 ti4200 for a shiny new model)? Does it
    > have USB 2 ports - he does a fair bit of scanning and his scanner is USB 2
    > so I figure, this will give him a bit of a speed boost.
    >
    > Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

    The $1000 dells have no AGP port, the $1200 ones did last time I checked.
    they have 8 USB ports(USB2) when I had a look a few weeks back.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Whosamawotsit

    Harry Guest

    Whosamawotsit wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions as to why Windows XP SP2 won't install on my
    > father's PC. From further investigation it appears an outdated BIOS is the
    > problem. Microsoft recommend downloading an updated BIOS. Problem is, the
    > BIOS for the Asus CUA was last updated in 2002 and my father's PC is
    > already flashed with the latest version (1007).

    Why do you insist on installing SP2?
    Wouldn't just plain XP or XP-SP1 be good enough?

    Harry, Sep 27, 2004
  4. "Harry" <> wrote in message

    > Why do you insist on installing SP2?
    > Wouldn't just plain XP or XP-SP1 be good enough?

    Because its my father's PC and he asked me to. He's a stickler for keeping
    things up to date security-wise after the iloveyou virus wiped out about 1GB
    of scanned old photographs while back. He's read about new viruses that can
    lurk in Jpeg files, read about XP SP2 not being affected and has put 2 and 2
    together and decided he needs to install SP2. Mine is not to reason why etc
    etc

    He's 78 years old and the more automated I can make things for him (e.g.
    automatic XP updates, auto live update for Nortons, scheduled backups etc)
    then the less I have to go around and do these chores for him.

    Whosamawotsit, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Whosamawotsit

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:17:07 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:

    > He's a stickler for keeping
    > things up to date security-wise after the iloveyou virus wiped out about 1GB
    > of scanned old photographs while back.

    Good job he had a hard copy backup eh?

    Does your Father know about backups? ;-)

    Gordon, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Whosamawotsit

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:09:41 +1200, "Whosamawotsit" <> wrote:

    >Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

    Keep an eye out for the Dell flyers major newspapers (e.g. The Press), or on
    their www site. They sometimes have better direct deals than The Warehouse one.

    Craig Shore, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Whosamawotsit

    Robert Guest

    This is an entry level PC.
    It has 6 USB2 ports on the rear and two on the front.
    However it has NO AGP port at all.
    It only has two memory slots so is limited for expandabilty & speed + coming
    with 256Mb is a bit small for XP.
    It doesn't have the mounting bracket for a second hard drive and has no
    floppy drive or bracket to mount an fdd.

    That is why I got my son a 4600 and purchased the fdd assy.
    It has 4 memory slots & installing in pairs you get greater memory access
    speed.
    It has AGP slot so he can use a real graphics card so games like sims2 can
    run properly.
    It had a bracket to mount his old 'D' hard drive into it.

    Robert, Sep 27, 2004