warehouse dell laptops - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
    website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
    you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
    any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.

    now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
    but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...

    so can anyone confirm it?

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    nice! http://www.dave.net.nz/images/link.jpg
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 4, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:59:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
    > website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
    > you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
    > any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
    >
    > now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
    > but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
    >
    > so can anyone confirm it?


    just a thought.. but harvey norman are having a sale.. 2 years int free..
    2 years deferred or something along those lines ( this includes PC's and
    Notebooks ) i went and had a look at our local Harvey Norman.. and there
    is a note book priced @ $1900 although i cant remember the specs for the
    life of me..
    anyway.. its just another option
    HTH

    --
    If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then you will be
    afraid to cough.
     
    froggy, Jan 4, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JJD Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:33:37 +0000, froggy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:59:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
    >> website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
    >> you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
    >> any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
    >>
    >> now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
    >> but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
    >>
    >> so can anyone confirm it?

    >
    >just a thought.. but harvey norman are having a sale.. 2 years int free..
    >2 years deferred or something along those lines ( this includes PC's and
    >Notebooks ) i went and had a look at our local Harvey Norman.. and there
    >is a note book priced @ $1900 although i cant remember the specs for the
    >life of me..
    >anyway.. its just another option


    Harvey Norman's "sale", eh?

    I was looking for a CMV 17" lcd screen and dropped into Harvey
    Norman's to price it. Price Spy shows 17 outlets as pricing it below
    $500 and two even pricing it below $400.

    Harvey Norman had it in their sale with a huge $200 discount . . .
    which left theirs priced at $1100. This means I can buy three of them
    from, say, Advanced Computers in Auckland, for virtually the same
    price as one from Harvey Norman. And Harvey Norman's was the analogue
    only version. I'm still mulling over whether to snap up their $1100
    bargain.

    Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
    it excellent for the price. Dick Smith have an ACER 2302LC Notebook
    for $1290. You have to look at an extra $100, or so, to add a bit of
    RAM to these cheaper notebooks.

    JJD
     
    JJD, Jan 4, 2005
    #3
  4. JJD wrote:
    > Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
    > it excellent for the price.


    Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
    batteries for?
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 4, 2005
    #4
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JJD Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >JJD wrote:
    >> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
    >> it excellent for the price.

    >
    >Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
    >batteries for?


    No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
    nothing about be able to do this.

    This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
    in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
    staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
    help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
    slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
    computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
    really.

    JJD
     
    JJD, Jan 5, 2005
    #5
  6. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:14:57 +1300, JJD <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>JJD wrote:
    >>> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
    >>> it excellent for the price.

    >>
    >>Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
    >>batteries for?

    >
    >No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
    >nothing about be able to do this.
    >
    >This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
    >in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
    >staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
    >help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
    >slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
    >computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
    >really.
    >
    >JJD




    Get the Model Number and look it up..

    Or Ring Dell.

    Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..
     
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
    #6
  7. BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    > Get the Model Number and look it up..


    Inspiron 1150, and already have.

    > Or Ring Dell.


    already have, it is a model cut down for the warehouse, it only has
    256MB ram, whereas the the 1150 availible from dell has 512, there are a
    few other differences, but they are not aware of them at the helpdesk.

    > Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..


    a crap celeron that will be used for office style work, so maybe word
    will take 0.002 seconds longer due to having less cache but will it
    reall... WTF, Im replying to Roger.. gah..

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    nice! http://www.dave.net.nz/images/link.jpg
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
    #7
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JJD Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:48:31 +1300, BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:14:57 +1300, JJD <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:01:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>JJD wrote:
    >>>> Incidentally, I bought the Dell laptop at Warehouse for $1260 and find
    >>>> it excellent for the price.
    >>>
    >>>Does it have the removible CDRW drive that you can get the spare
    >>>batteries for?

    >>
    >>No, I can't find a way of sliding it from a bay and the manual says
    >>nothing about be able to do this.
    >>
    >>This was one problem with buying from the Warehouse: the laptops were
    >>in a sealed box and the shop is not allowed to open the boxes. The
    >>staff have only the barest of promotional details and are unable to
    >>help with questions. I simply wanted to know if it had USB and PCMCIA
    >>slots, but finding out in the Warehouse was impossible. Even their
    >>computer help desk in Auckland was unable to help. Pretty stupid,
    >>really.
    >>
    >>JJD

    >
    >
    >
    >Get the Model Number and look it up..
    >
    >Or Ring Dell.
    >
    >Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..
    >

    .. . . <snore> . . . zzzzzzzzz

    JJD
     
    JJD, Jan 5, 2005
    #8
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    mark Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:341e68F45e4buU1
    @individual.net:

    > BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:
    >> Get the Model Number and look it up..

    >
    > Inspiron 1150, and already have.
    >
    >> Or Ring Dell.

    >
    > already have, it is a model cut down for the warehouse, it only has
    > 256MB ram, whereas the the 1150 availible from dell has 512, there are a
    > few other differences, but they are not aware of them at the helpdesk.
    >
    >> Mind you its only a Crap Celeron CPU..

    >
    > a crap celeron that will be used for office style work, so maybe word
    > will take 0.002 seconds longer due to having less cache but will it
    > reall... WTF, Im replying to Roger.. gah..
    >


    He has changed IP address reasonably recently - just re-added his new one
    into my filters. Ahhhhh.... the bliss of a Woger-less newsgroup.
     
    mark, Jan 5, 2005
    #9
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Owly Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just after a cheapy laptop for the mrs, I've checked it out on the dell
    > website, where it is ~$150 dearer for a slower processor, but they give
    > you the option of getting a second battery, which Im assuming(not having
    > any more details on it) is one of those CD-drive batteries.
    >
    > now this is a handy thing if it is(having spare ones sitting at work),
    > but not being able to confirm it is a PITA to say the least...
    >
    > so can anyone confirm it?
    >
    > --
    > Dave.net.nz
    > reply addy is e
    > nice! http://www.dave.net.nz/images/link.jpg
    >


    If the DSE deal for an Acer Travelmate 2302LC is still available it is
    likely to be
    your best bet at $1290 inc GST.
    The reason being that the processor is a celeron mobile rather than a
    desktop
    celeron as is featured in the Dell option.
    This means you will get far superior battery life by default and it is
    highly unlikely
    that the spare battery in the Dell option is the kind that goes into a
    multibay,
    ie. giving you the ability to remove the optical drive and replace it with a
    battery or
    hard drive. This ability is in my experience is only available in higher end
    models
    regardless of brand.
    If the laptop is only going to be used for basic office functions/web
    surfing etc
    then the DSE option is excellent value for money giving you current laptop
    technology
    as well as local support long after your Dell warranty runs out.
    This of course is just my 2c worth. :)

    Cheers

    Owly.
     
    Owly, Jan 5, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Invisible

    Warehouse selling Dell

    Invisible, Dec 12, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    99
    Views:
    1,729
    Mainlander
    Dec 17, 2003
  2. Aaron Zarlos

    Dell @ The Warehouse - opinions?

    Aaron Zarlos, Jul 4, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    75
    Views:
    1,637
    The Hobbit
    Jul 9, 2004
  3. Whosamawotsit

    Warehouse Dell PCs

    Whosamawotsit, Sep 27, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    401
    Robert
    Sep 27, 2004
  4. Stewbaby

    Dell 1150 from Warehouse

    Stewbaby, Nov 22, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    327
    Stewbaby
    Nov 22, 2004
  5. Brian    Mathews

    $1400 DELL at the Warehouse..

    Brian Mathews, Dec 3, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    601
    David Preece
    Dec 6, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page