    lastest games.

    I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.

    Impressions or thoughts?

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Re: Warehouse Dell dimension 3000 advert.

    foreword: heh, nice subject... but I read most posts, whether Im
    interested in the subject or not. oh yeah, shortened the subject...
    waste of bandwidth and all :)

    cowboyz wrote:
    > The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at the
    > bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"
    >
    > It has a Intel Extreme 2 onboard video which bites big time and although I
    > haven't played games on this chipset my first impression is that it would
    > suck. One review (I'm sounding like Woger now) I read said it managed a
    > 13.5fps in the timedemo on UT2003. That is hardly up for playing the
    > lastest games.
    >
    > I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.
    >
    > Impressions or thoughts?

    I use that chipset at work, and as long as you turn everything down and
    play at 640x480, it is fine for Doom3... but... the type of user who
    would buy one of these and use it for gaming is not likely to delve into
    the settings of the game and know what to disable in order to make it
    work at an acceptible frame rate.

    Personally Im agreeing with you on the misleading advertising... have
    fired off an email to their marketing dept.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Re: Warehouse Dell dimension 3000 advert.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 16, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article cowboyz says...
    > The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at the
    > bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"
    >
    > It has a Intel Extreme 2 onboard video which bites big time and although I
    > haven't played games on this chipset my first impression is that it would
    > suck. One review (I'm sounding like Woger now) I read said it managed a
    > 13.5fps in the timedemo on UT2003. That is hardly up for playing the
    > lastest games.
    >
    > I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.
    >
    > Impressions or thoughts?

    "playing the latest games" is pretty vague. Anyone buying PCs from the
    warehouse for games should stick to PS2 or Xbox.

    colinco, Dec 16, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article cowboyz says...

    colinco, Dec 16, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    David Guest

    Re: Warehouse Dell dimension 3000 advert. This is a question soTNO doesn't have to download this message and read it to waste his time readingmessages that I could have possibly got the answer .. (damn, run out of spacein the subject line!)

    cowboyz wrote:
    > The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at the
    > bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"
    >
    > It has a Intel Extreme 2 onboard video which bites big time and although I
    > haven't played games on this chipset my first impression is that it would
    > suck. One review (I'm sounding like Woger now) I read said it managed a
    > 13.5fps in the timedemo on UT2003. That is hardly up for playing the
    > lastest games.
    >
    > I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.
    >
    > Impressions or thoughts?

    When it fails to play them, take it back and ask for a refund, they love
    giving refunds.

    David, Dec 16, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    David, Dec 16, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:Senwd.28212$...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at
    >> the bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"
    >>
    >> It has a Intel Extreme 2 onboard video which bites big time and although
    >> I haven't played games on this chipset my first impression is that it
    >> would suck. One review (I'm sounding like Woger now) I read said it
    >> managed a 13.5fps in the timedemo on UT2003. That is hardly up for
    >> playing the lastest games.
    >>
    >> I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.
    >>
    >> Impressions or thoughts?

    > When it fails to play them, take it back and ask for a refund, they love
    > giving refunds.

    Yes they do. It is how they make money. Buy throwing stuff out the door
    and realising that 7/10 people won't bother bringing it back, even if it
    doesn't do the job it was brought to do. The system itself doesn't look
    too bad. Just a shame they couldn't glue an AGP slot to the side of the
    machine somewhere or cut out the "play latest games" advertising.

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:Senwd.28212$...

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Re: Warehouse Dell dimension 3000 advert.

    > foreword: heh, nice subject... but I read most posts, whether Im
    > interested in the subject or not. oh yeah, shortened the subject... waste
    > of bandwidth and all :)

    Bugger, took me ages to fit that into the subject line and now you'ev
    squahed it.

    <snip>

    > I use that chipset at work, and as long as you turn everything down and
    > play at 640x480, it is fine for Doom3... but... the type of user who would
    > buy one of these and use it for gaming is not likely to delve into the
    > settings of the game and know what to disable in order to make it work at
    > an acceptible frame rate.
    >
    > Personally Im agreeing with you on the misleading advertising... have
    > fired off an email to their marketing dept.

    Good. Pleased I wasn't sitting alone on this. I', just thinking of all
    those kids who get HL2 and one of these machines for Xmas and spend all Xmas
    day trying to figure out why it's running at 4 fps.

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article cowboyz says...
    >> The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at
    >> the
    >> bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"
    >>
    >> It has a Intel Extreme 2 onboard video which bites big time and although
    >> haven't played games on this chipset my first impression is that it would
    >> suck. One review (I'm sounding like Woger now) I read said it managed a
    >> 13.5fps in the timedemo on UT2003. That is hardly up for playing the
    >> lastest games.
    >>
    >> I feel this is blantent misleading advertising.
    >>
    >> Impressions or thoughts?
    >>

    > "playing the latest games" is pretty vague. Anyone buying PCs from the
    > warehouse for games should stick to PS2 or Xbox.

    Whys that? A couple of years ago it was accepted that if you want to play
    games on a PC then you have to spend some money on your PC. Those who just
    wanted to play games brought a playstation. Those who wanted the advanced
    gfx and gameplay spent their money on PC.
    Now you have got an outfit who is directed at the middle to lower classes
    (generalizing I know but its true) telling people they can get into the
    awesome world of PC games for $9 a week. I could see if I didn't have the
    money to build how that would be a very attractive offer.

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    MarkH Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cpsueg$37o$:

    > The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at
    > the bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"

    Is it their fault that users will read "capable of playing the latest
    games" as "Will play the latest games at the default settings with a high
    frame rate" or "this is a top performing game machine".

    Marketing is all about what they don't say. What the advertising says will
    lead many people to make assumptions; what is said needs to be true
    (legally speaking), but the assumptions do not.

    When the ad says that Cadbury chocolate contains the goodness of a glass
    and a half of milk, that may be true. If you assume that chocolate is
    healthy then you assume wrong.

    When the ad says that the product is 99% fat free then legally the fat
    content can be no more than 1%. If you assume that the product is healthy
    and low in calories then you are possibly wrong on both counts.

    You need to read advertising claims with a healthy dose of scepticism or
    you will get suckered.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

    MarkH, Dec 16, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    MarkH, Dec 16, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cpsueg$37o$:
    >
    >> The advert in the warehouse catalog that came recently says in bold at
    >> the bottom that this machine is capable of "playing the lastest games"

    > Is it their fault that users will read "capable of playing the latest
    > games" as "Will play the latest games at the default settings with a high
    > frame rate" or "this is a top performing game machine".
    >
    > Marketing is all about what they don't say. What the advertising says
    > will
    > lead many people to make assumptions; what is said needs to be true
    > (legally speaking), but the assumptions do not.
    >
    > When the ad says that Cadbury chocolate contains the goodness of a glass
    > and a half of milk, that may be true. If you assume that chocolate is
    > healthy then you assume wrong.
    >
    > When the ad says that the product is 99% fat free then legally the fat
    > content can be no more than 1%. If you assume that the product is healthy
    > and low in calories then you are possibly wrong on both counts.
    >
    > You need to read advertising claims with a healthy dose of scepticism or
    > you will get suckered.

    I see where you are coming from. (your not a lawyer are you). Sorry that
    was just nasty.

    What about the "latest games" like Prince of persia and Spinter cell2 that
    require pixel shaders? Does the intel extreme 2 chipset support Dx8? I
    might just go find out.

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Dec 16, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:45:33 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Good. Pleased I wasn't sitting alone on this. I', just thinking of all
    > those kids who get HL2 and one of these machines for Xmas and spend all
    > Xmas day trying to figure out why it's running at 4 fps.

    They can either live with it, give up or try learning something :)

    Who knows it might inspire the 2% who chose option 3 to get interested in
    programming or something.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 16, 2004
  19. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    AD., Dec 16, 2004
  20. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:40:05 +1300, colinco wrote:

    > "playing the latest games" is pretty vague.

    They probably mean the latest games to arrive in their under $20 bargain
    bin.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 16, 2004