    programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.

    Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004

  2. PseUDO wrote:
    > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open networks??

    Yeah just getting a 7db omni mounted on the roof of my car... makes it
    alot easier to find networks :)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004

  3. In Message <news:3a4Mb.16671$>
    dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:25 +1300,
    "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open networks??
    >
    > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2 open
    > networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
    > couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address filtering,
    > or no internet connection.
    >
    > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the netstumbler
    > programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
    >
    > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Why, for Xsake?

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Scheiss, ist heiss!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 11, 2004
  4. PseUDO

    Barg Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open
    > networks??
    >
    > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2
    > open networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!,
    > although couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address
    > filtering, or no internet connection.
    >
    > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the
    > netstumbler programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
    >
    > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
    >
    > PseUDO

    But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
    accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
    slammer!
    Barg, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Barg wrote:
    > But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
    > accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
    > slammer!

    What if you do it by accident?
    I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
    me an IP address.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  6. PseUDO

    Barg Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Barg wrote:
    >> But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
    >> accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
    >> slammer!

    > What if you do it by accident?
    > I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
    > me an IP address.

    Be careful where you shove that thing, big boy!

    But seriously, you can be done irrespective of whether you do any damage or
    whether or not you gain anything from the access. IMHO it ain't worth the
    grief. Unless of course you want to be the first case on the books...
    Barg, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Barg wrote:
    >>What if you do it by accident?
    >>I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
    >>me an IP address.

    > Be careful where you shove that thing, big boy!

    I still "see" their network, but it no-longer hands out IP addys(I made
    them aware by email that I could see each of their machines, and that
    they should tidy it up)

    > But seriously, you can be done irrespective of whether you do any damage or
    > whether or not you gain anything from the access. IMHO it ain't worth the
    > grief. Unless of course you want to be the first case on the books...

    no, that wouldn't be ideal... could be an interesting one, much like an
    email I received recently advertising some dodgy images, which I have no
    doubts about them being illegal, now had been using a different email
    client, my machine would have downloaded them, and I'd be in posession
    of them, mine field this internet beast, a bloody mine field.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  8. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > In Message <news:3a4Mb.16671$>
    > dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:25 +1300,
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open

    networks??

    > > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2

    open
    > > networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
    > > couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address

    filtering,
    > > or no internet connection.
    > >
    > > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the

    netstumbler
    > > programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
    > >
    > > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
    > >
    > > PseUDO

    > Why, for Xsake?

    Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet access,
    without knowing it.!

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004
  9. PseUDO wrote:
    >>>Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.

    >>Why, for Xsake?

    > Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet access,
    > without knowing it.!

    Like Barg says, be carefull.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  10. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    "Barg" <> wrote in message
    > PseUDO wrote:
    >
    > > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open
    > > networks??
    > >
    > > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2
    > > open networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!,
    > > although couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address
    > > filtering, or no internet connection.
    > >
    > > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the
    > > netstumbler programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
    > >
    > > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
    > >
    > > PseUDO

    > But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
    > accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
    > slammer!

    The key word being "authorisation" if the wireless connection hands your pc
    a ip address, then that sounds like ''authorisation' to me.

    Im driving down the road my wireless card in my laptop is scanning for a
    connection and then it detects a network , the wireless network then gives
    me a ip address automatically, and i starting surfing the web.

    In most cases even if the owner of the network did find out that your
    accessing the network and tried to track you down, then they would have to
    do it by foot using radio direction finding, and since most people into
    ''war driving'' are only stopping at open connection points for a short
    time, the chances of them finding you are pretty remote.

    If they did catch you then the most they are going to get is your car number
    plate, and there's no way the police are going get a prosecution with just a
    reg number.

    The secret when using someone elses connection is to not log on to website's
    with any login name or password, or be checking mail etc, you would be
    pretty unlucky to be caught out.

    If i ever get caught , i'll let you know :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004
  11. In Message <news:Zq7Mb.16716$>
    dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:02:14 +1300,
    "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    > The key word being "authorisation" if the wireless connection hands your pc
    > a ip address, then that sounds like ''authorisation' to me.

    "The keyword being "unlocked door". If the car whose doors I'm trying
    isn't locked, then that sounds like an "invitation" to me."

    > Im driving down the road my wireless card in my laptop is scanning for a
    > connection and then it detects a network , the wireless network then gives
    > me a ip address automatically, and i starting surfing the web.

    "I'm walking down the road with my gloves on trying car doors to see if
    they're locked. If I find one that isn't locked, then I enter the car and
    start stealing whatever I can find inside."

    Spot the parallels? If you can't, then you're thicker than two short teak
    planks.

    [snip lame attempt at justification]

    > If i ever get caught , i'll let you know :)

    It can't happen soon enough, in my opinion. The actions you describe and
    the lame, almost bragging attempt at justification make you no more nor
    less than the cyber-equivalent of a common sneak-thief.

    --
    Nicolaas.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 11, 2004
  12. In Message <news:Ze7Mb.16713$>
    dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:49:26 +1300,
    "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> In Message <news:3a4Mb.16671$>
    >> dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:25 +1300,
    >> "PseUDO" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open

    > networks??
    >>>
    >>> Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2

    > open
    >>> networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
    >>> couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address

    > filtering,
    >>> or no internet connection.
    >>>
    >>> Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the

    > netstumbler
    >>> programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
    >>>
    >>> Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
    >>>
    >>> PseUDO

    >> Why, for Xsake?

    > Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet access,
    > without knowing it.!

    In other words, sneaking around looking to steal someone else's internet
    time. Hardly honest or honourable. But then, are you?

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Excuse me while I stick my fingers in the light socket ...
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 11, 2004
  13. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Why, for Xsake?

    >> Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet
    >> access, without knowing it.!

    > Like Barg says, be carefull.

    drive past my place sometime Dave and check my net is secure

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Jan 11, 2004
  14. Russell Smithies wrote:
    > drive past my place sometime Dave and check my net is secure

    I'll send Dan around... he knows more than me.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 11, 2004
  15. PseUDO

    Al Guest

    Anyone out Pakuranga way with a wireless network?
    I dont have a laptop but might be in range.....

    -Al

    Al, Jan 11, 2004
  16. PseUDO

    > In Message <news:Zq7Mb.16716$>
    > dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:02:14 +1300,
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote:
    >

    > > The key word being "authorisation" if the wireless connection hands your

    pc
    > > a ip address, then that sounds like ''authorisation' to me.

    > "The keyword being "unlocked door". If the car whose doors I'm trying
    > isn't locked, then that sounds like an "invitation" to me."
    >

    > > Im driving down the road my wireless card in my laptop is scanning for a
    > > connection and then it detects a network , the wireless network then

    gives
    > > me a ip address automatically, and i starting surfing the web.

    > "I'm walking down the road with my gloves on trying car doors to see if
    > they're locked. If I find one that isn't locked, then I enter the car and
    > start stealing whatever I can find inside."
    >
    > Spot the parallels? If you can't, then you're thicker than two short teak
    > planks.
    >
    > [snip lame attempt at justification]
    >

    > > If i ever get caught , i'll let you know :)

    > It can't happen soon enough, in my opinion. The actions you describe and
    > the lame, almost bragging attempt at justification make you no more nor
    > less than the cyber-equivalent of a common sneak-thief.
    >
    > --
    > Nicolaas.

    If you read my first post , then you would of seen that i never accessed any
    network, you need to not get so wound up !!.

    By the way iv'e also got a couple of scanners here that i use to listen to
    peoples cellular and cordless phones, also got some software that decodes
    paging transmmissions, hang on a second ,i am a sneak-thief :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004
  17. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    "Al" <bigal_nz@hotmail_nospam4me.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone out Pakuranga way with a wireless network?
    > I dont have a laptop but might be in range.....

    Try here http://www.nzwireless.org/ you might get a better reply since this
    appears to be a touchy subject with certain posters!.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Jan 11, 2004