"War of the Worlds" or "Clash of Civilisations"?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by bargeloader@yahoo.com, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    In the world of Steven Spielberg, anything is possible.

    He takes us on a space mountain ride into the imagination where dreams
    come true and all is well at the end of the rainbow. The pot of gold
    becomes attainable, wholesome American values are upheld and a
    child-like view of a mixed-up world is lovingly cradled in the
    assurance that the archetypal happy ending is never far away. Escapism
    and catharsis in the best traditions of story-telling reach children
    and adults alike as a universal messenger of hope and triumph of the
    human spirit...

    Can you hear the John Williams orchestra soaring into ecstatic romantic
    crescendos? Or do you hear the harsh scratch of vinyl and the odour of
    propaganda?

    Steven Spielberg's films remain some of the most successful examples of
    American cinema ever to come out of the factory line of Hollywood.
    There is no doubting the man's talent and business acumen. Indeed ever
    since his ground-breaking film Jaws (1975) cinema has been re-written
    into summer "blockbusters" which opened the doors for a particular kind
    of film-making: big on thrills, big on effects and short on soul.

    Why is this talented director where he is today? Perhaps because he is
    one of those who best personifies the American psyche. Quite apart from
    cultivating and exporting a juvenile and childish perception of
    reality, rather than a refreshing child-like view, this brand of cinema
    often distorts and twists archetypes of depth and profundity, where his
    particular world-view has become a useful tool for the
    Military-Industrial complex. If it were merely a case of a high
    saccharin content and the indelible stamp of American family values
    running through most of his work we could rest easy. However, it
    appears that Mr. Spielberg has been fed a line based entirely on their
    propensity for fantasy, in much the same way as Tony Blair or Tom
    Cruise in fact. This is after all how they have made their living. As
    an example of middle-American-Jewish success story worth an estimated
    at $2.7 billion, he remains an outstanding example how progress within
    the pathological system of capitalism can be co-opted and used as
    propaganda against the people without many of us ever being aware.

    Read more at:
    http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/war_of_the_worlds_review.php

    , Apr 6, 2006

  2. Alpha Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In the world of Steven Spielberg, anything is possible.
    >
    > He takes us on a space mountain ride into the imagination where dreams
    > come true and all is well at the end of the rainbow. The pot of gold
    > becomes attainable, wholesome American values are upheld and a
    > child-like view of a mixed-up world is lovingly cradled in the
    > assurance that the archetypal happy ending is never far away. Escapism
    > and catharsis in the best traditions of story-telling reach children
    > and adults alike as a universal messenger of hope and triumph of the
    > human spirit...
    >
    > Can you hear the John Williams orchestra soaring into ecstatic romantic
    > crescendos? Or do you hear the harsh scratch of vinyl and the odour of
    > propaganda?
    >
    > Steven Spielberg's films remain some of the most successful examples of
    > American cinema ever to come out of the factory line of Hollywood.
    > There is no doubting the man's talent and business acumen. Indeed ever
    > since his ground-breaking film Jaws (1975) cinema has been re-written
    > into summer "blockbusters" which opened the doors for a particular kind
    > of film-making: big on thrills, big on effects and short on soul.
    >
    > Why is this talented director where he is today? Perhaps because he is
    > one of those who best personifies the American psyche. Quite apart from
    > cultivating and exporting a juvenile and childish perception of
    > reality, rather than a refreshing child-like view, this brand of cinema
    > often distorts and twists archetypes of depth and profundity, where his
    > particular world-view has become a useful tool for the
    > Military-Industrial complex. If it were merely a case of a high
    > saccharin content and the indelible stamp of American family values
    > running through most of his work we could rest easy. However, it
    > appears that Mr. Spielberg has been fed a line based entirely on their
    > propensity for fantasy, in much the same way as Tony Blair or Tom
    > Cruise in fact. This is after all how they have made their living. As
    > an example of middle-American-Jewish success story worth an estimated
    > at $2.7 billion, he remains an outstanding example how progress within
    > the pathological system of capitalism can be co-opted and used as
    > propaganda against the people without many of us ever being aware.
    >
    > Read more at:
    > http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/war_of_the_worlds_review.php

    I will forward this to friends as an example of how not to write.

    Alpha, Apr 7, 2006

  3. jb Guest

    He did actually sell out, but only because his partner wasn't friendly.

    jb, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Larry Gold Guest

    in the world of the "written word" anything is possible

    Larry Gold, Apr 15, 2006