    clients that is using Windows XP Pro SP2.

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, May 2, 2005

  2. Ray

    Malke Guest

    Ray wrote:

    > I am currently using WEP 128bit AP and clients. Since the AP is
    > upgraded to WAP-PSK, can someone tell me how to configure to WAP-PSK
    > on both AP and clients that is using Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    From MVP Steve Winograd:

    1. Set the Security Mode to "WPA-PSK (no server)".
    2. Set the Encryption Technique to "TKIP".
    3. Specify a pre-shared key.

    Remember that all hardware must support WPA, not just the access point.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, May 2, 2005

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Re: WPA-PSK configuration

    Many thanks for your advice that is workable. I have learnt from Netgear
    that "WPA Has backward compatible WEP support for devices that are not
    upgraded". Could you please advise how to configure it on one client who
    has no WPA support on his computer but WEP 128-bit.

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, May 2, 2005
  4. Ray

    Malke Guest

    Re: WPA-PSK configuration

    Ray wrote:

    > Many thanks for your advice that is workable. I have learnt from
    > Netgear that "WPA Has backward compatible WEP support for devices that
    > are not
    > upgraded". Could you please advise how to configure it on one client
    > who has no WPA support on his computer but WEP 128-bit.

    As I said, you have to be consistent in your use of encryption
    throughout your wireless network. You would need to read the manual for
    your Netgear access point to see if there is something special that can
    be done since one client doesn't support WPA. I don't use that Netgear
    hardware so can't help you. Read the manual or contact Netgear.

    My understanding (which may not be applicable to your particular model
    Netgear - maybe that model is different) is that all hardware
    components must match; IOW if one member can't use WPA, then all must
    use WEP.

    Otherwise, consider replacing the older hardware on that one client with
    a newer wireless adapter that supports WPA.

    Malke

    Malke, May 2, 2005
  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Re: WPA-PSK configuration

    Malke,

    I thought it is the characteristic of WPA that it has backward compatible
    with WEP. I read it from Netgear support web page but they did not give the
    detail in user guide and knowledge base. I have contacted Netgear for
    detail.

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, May 3, 2005
  6. Ray

    jwh20 Guest

    Re: WPA-PSK configuration

    You said:

    "I thought it is the characteristic of WPA that it has backward
    compatible
    with WEP."

    That is not the case. WPA was designed to be a compatible as possible
    with the existing hardware that had support designed in for WEP. In
    other words, it was a compromise design to get as many older products
    into the world of WPA as possible.

    The problems are:

    1) Some older hardware just was not capable of supporting WPA.
    2) Some vendors are not going through the trouble/expense of supporting
    WPA on their older hardware even if it could support it.

    (I think #2 is the majority case, BTW.)

    jwh20, May 10, 2005