    Hi Everyone, If I reformat my hard drive,and i dont have the original
    Windows Me cause it was preloaded when I bought the computer.But I have a
    WindowsME emergency backup disk..Will this work,if I reformat, or no?
    danacawthorn, Jun 12, 2004

  2. danacawthorn

    Paul - xxx Guest

    danacawthorn posted:
    > Hi Everyone, If I reformat my hard drive,and i dont have the original
    > Windows Me cause it was preloaded when I bought the computer.But I have a
    > WindowsME emergency backup disk..Will this work,if I reformat, or no?

    Depends on the computer, my Evesham Axis wouldn't. However Alt - F4 and
    entering the password, available from Evesham for me and maybe also your
    supplier, allowed the recovery CD to do a full Win ME re-installation. If
    you only have the ME floppy startup disk then you don't have any choice
    really other than call your supplier and explain the problem and see if
    they'll sort out a recovery or system CD for you.

    Mine was necessitated by a hard drive dying suddenly ... no way for recovery
    other than a whole new drive .. I _do_ like having good backups and images
    though .. :)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks
    Paul - xxx, Jun 12, 2004

  3. danacawthorn

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "danacawthorn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone, If I reformat my hard drive,and i dont have the original
    > Windows Me cause it was preloaded when I bought the computer.But I have a
    > WindowsME emergency backup disk..Will this work,if I reformat, or no?

    The emergency/recovery disk that came with the computer has the install for
    the Win ME O/S. You should contact the computer manufacture Tech Support or
    there may be a book that came with the computer that has the instructions on
    how to reinstall the ME O/S.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 12, 2004
  4. danacawthorn

    madmax Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > "danacawthorn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Everyone, If I reformat my hard drive,and i dont have the original
    >>Windows Me cause it was preloaded when I bought the computer.But I have a
    >>WindowsME emergency backup disk..Will this work,if I reformat, or no?
    >>

    > The emergency/recovery disk that came with the computer has the install for
    > the Win ME O/S. You should contact the computer manufacture Tech Support or
    > there may be a book that came with the computer that has the instructions on
    > how to reinstall the ME O/S.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Try looking for .cab files
    On my ME all the cab folders were copied on the hard drive
    during installation.You could try a reinstall without format
    using them.Don't forget to get the Key.It's in the registry.
    -max

    --
    Programs that I use and recommend (all are free)
    Many thanks to all the people who make these fine products!
    Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
    Avast! For Home
    Eraser 5.3
    http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
    CwShredder
    HijackThis
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    Thunderbird
    Firefox

    This message is virus free as far I can tell
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
    Use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)
    madmax, Jun 13, 2004
  5. danacawthorn

    Plato Guest

    danacawthorn wrote:

    > Hi Everyone, If I reformat my hard drive,and i dont have the original
    > Windows Me cause it was preloaded when I bought the computer.But I have a
    > WindowsME emergency backup disk..Will this work,if I reformat, or no?

    One should always have the real CD for the OS they want to use. Get one.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 13, 2004
  6. danacawthorn

    terry_b17 Guest

    hi,
    what brand system do you have ?
    did it come with other applications installed ?
    if windows works you should download and run belarc advisor available
    at http://www.belarc.com
    it is a free download that will list the hardware and software on your
    system as well as the license # for the programs . if you format you
    will need disks to reinstall any programs that you use .
    hope this helps,
    terry

    terry_b17, Jun 16, 2004