    alot more than I have. Thanks in advance.
    --
    MCEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Hello,
    Email me, I can help or atleast try.
    Thanks
    David Rodriguez
    C & D Computer Consulting

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Hello,

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=, Mar 26, 2006
  4. It seems like a bit of catch-22. How do you get the experience without the

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  5. What specifically did you find helpful to prep for the exams?
    --
    MCEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=
    <> say in

    > Honestly, experience and MS Press books helped me out, also checkout
    > the MS e-learning. Again let me know if you need help.

    good advice.

    also have a look at www.microsoft.com/learning

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - I am Bill Gates of Borg. You will be assimilated. Please wait....

    Neil, Mar 27, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=
    <> say in

    > How do you get the experience without the
    > certification, and how do you get the certification without the
    > experience?

    you build a lab

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Duplexed Upper Memory Block Driver (DUMBDRV.EXE) Ver. 1.31415926

    Neil, Mar 27, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=
    <> say in news:21F83A6E-8152-4F11-
    :

    > Hello,
    > Email me, I can help or atleast try.

    post here read here. let all of us learn together

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul.

    Neil, Mar 27, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Mike T. Guest

    "MCE Madness" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > It seems like a bit of catch-22. How do you get the experience without
    > the
    > certification, and how do you get the certification without the
    > experience?
    > Is there a "simulator" for lack of better term for Server 2003 or the
    > like?
    > How 'bout a good ground zero and up book/DVD/the like?
    > Sorry for the cluelessness, but thanks in advance.
    > Ps-I assume that the MCSA or MCSE cert are still the more marketable of
    > the
    > lot?

    If you buy the 4-book set "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements"
    which covers 290, 291, 293, and 294, it comes with a 180-day version of 2k3
    Enterprise Server.

    http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...7447/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/303-4046954-8138613

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI

    Mike T., Mar 27, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Mike T. Guest

    I forgot to add: That set also comes with vouchers good for 15% off the
    price of each of the 4 exams.

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI

    Mike T., Mar 27, 2006
  11. Build a lab? Consisting of what? Moreover costing what?
    Gracias
    --
    MCEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    > Build a lab? Consisting of what? Moreover costing what?
    > Gracias

    There are two main routes you can use (or a mix of the two, as I use):

    1. Get your hands on a few computers...old ones will do (as long as they
    meet the install requirements for the OS in question). eBay usually has a
    ton of listings. Also check in your neighborhood, especially when someone
    recently bought a new computer. Many people don't know what to do with
    computers that they no longer use. My next-door neighbor bought a new
    machine for her kid and gave me their old one (pentium 3, 450MHz...certainly
    not a speedster, but good enough for testing installation methods such as
    unattended and RIS). KVM switches mean you don't need to clog up your
    workspace with monitors.

    2. If you have a good machine that can handle it, get yourself a virtual
    machine system such as VMWare or Virtual PC. You can
    install/delete/break/fix OSs without affecting the rest of your system.

    You'll need a router for networking, of course.

    You can get yourself a perfectly good setup for a few hundred dollars.

    Mike T., Mar 27, 2006
  13. Based on what you have posted above, I am guessing that you will need some
    pretty serious study to pass some of the exams. Here's why I say that:

    I am assuming that based on the size of the organizations that you support
    right now you are basically doing desktop/printer support for a bunch of
    computers running primarily Win2K and XP (maybe some home, some Pro?). You
    might even have a couple of systems sprinkled in there that are running some
    of the older stuff like Win98SE. I am also assuming that you don't have any
    server operating systems running. Probably one or two computers with shared
    folders functioning as a file/print server and maybe a rudimetary web page or
    two, but nothing running on a Windows Server platform. Sooooooo... having
    said that here is what you will probably find:

    1) You will breeze through the 270 exam. XP is not that terrbily different
    than Windows2K and desktop support is desktop support. There are a few
    things that you will want to brush up on (volume shadow copy, remote desktop,
    and SUS come to mind), but you will probably be able to sit this exam
    comfortably with less than a month's prep, maybe 30 mins to an hour a night
    reading.

    2) You will absolutely NEED to get your hands on (at a bare minimum) an
    evaluation copy of Microsoft Server 2003, install it on your network, and use
    it to learn. If you try to take these exams without server experience you
    will crash and burn. This is one of the reasons that training centers can
    and do charge to teach students...they create the lab environment and provide
    knowledgable instructors to help you along the path, but I digress...

    Once you have a server up and running you can experiment to your heart's
    content (because of this, do not put the server OS on a computer that is
    currently doing something useful on your network. I also don't recommend
    dual booting for this box. It is an unnecessary complication. ) There are
    several areas you have to absoulutely know cold to do well on these exams
    that you can play with once you have a server established. Make sure you
    have no questions on group policy, DNS, DHCP, and the relationship between
    NTFS permission and Share permissions.

    Now, the resources that other folks have mentioned lower in this thread are
    all good recommendations, and there is a lot of material out there. I have
    particularly heard good things about the Sybex books, but I have not used
    them myself. I am a big advocate of learning about a system by playing with
    it. With that said, I would say set the system up, and then USE and READ the
    excellent help files that are part of your system's built in documentation.
    In most cases they will at least point you in the right direction. I also
    recommend spending some quality time on the microsoft knowledge base. It can
    be tough to find exactly what you need, but usually the info is available if
    you look hard enough. It is also impossible to overstate the value of
    Google.

    Now, after all of that, which boils down to RTFM, I recommend that you look
    into local training providers. They can be pricey, but the value of having
    someone in front of you who can answer questions and provide their experience
    as a resource is tough to beat.

    One more thing: unless you are the next Doogie Houser, don't be discouraged
    if you can't just sit down at the computer, take a test, and POOF! You are
    now an MCSE. The tests are hard for a reason. If they weren't, everyone
    would have the certification. Thats a good thing, because once you pass you
    become more marketable. When I decided to go for my MCSE I had about 7 years
    of experience designing/building/administering/maintaining telephone and
    computer networks in the Army. It took me 8 months to pass all 7 exams,
    taking classes 2 nights and roughly 10-15 hours of independant study each
    week during that time. i would say that all in all the process is rougly
    equivelant to one semester of college (which is not trivial if you are trying
    to do it at the same time as working full time).

    So, to summarize: You should be fine for 270. Get a copy of server 2003 up
    and running. Play with it, and read the help files. Use the MS knowledge
    base and any info you can find on Google for the topics you are wrestling
    with. Look into some local training and decide if you think its worthwhile
    to pay to have someone help you along.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=, Mar 27, 2006
  14. You nailed our scenario here!
    I'll peruse your inof. Thanks a ton for it.
    Thanks everyone elase, too. Keep it comin' if you have more.
    I'll be back with more later I'm sure.

    --
    MCEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  15. OK, I give...
    What is a Virtual Machine System? I have a pretty hefty XP Pro system at
    home. Is a VMS basically a server emulator? In other words does is simulate
    a server and clients?
    Sorry for the neo questions.
    --
    MCEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=, Mar 27, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Just remember the MCSA is before the MCSE, so you would start with MCP,
    >MCSA, then MCSE

    ROTFLMAO!!!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 27, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Build a lab? Consisting of what? Moreover costing what?

    wtf.

    please let this be Rowdy goofing around, please.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 27, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >It seems like a bit of catch-22. How do you get the experience without the
    >certification

    1 - Get a good Education.
    2 - Get a Job.
    3 - Get a better job, using the experience gained.
    4 - Get an even better job, using the experience gained.
    5 - ditto
    99 - Retire a rich man/woman.

    Note, not a word about certs.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 27, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    JaR Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?= <>
    wrote in news:D:

    > What is a Virtual Machine System? I have a pretty hefty XP Pro system
    > at home. Is a VMS basically a server emulator? In other words does
    > is simulate a server and clients?
    > Sorry for the neo questions.

    OK, I can see it is time to point you to our reference manual. You can
    find it here:

    http://www.google.com/

    HTH, HAND

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Mar 27, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TUNFIE1hZG5lc3M=?=

    kpg Guest

    option explicit
    option cert

    private sub life()

    get_born()

    get_Good_Education()

    get_Job()

    do until (wealth >= cMinWealthNeeded OR _
    age >= cMaxRetirementAge OR_
    dead)
    Gain_experience()
    get_a_better_job()
    loop

    do until (dead OR _
    kids_put_you_in_home_for_spending_their_inheritance)

    spend_money_on_expensive_booze_and_cheap_women()

    loop

    end sub

    kpg, Mar 28, 2006