!Wanted....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    /RANT/
    A DECENT DVD cataloguing program that doesn't have ALPHA release bugs,
    require the install of Java, VB6, .NET, or MS MDAC system files on my
    computer to run; A program that does NOT require the user to put in all the
    cover information from the DVD case then when it goes online to
    check/verify/download that information says that there is no such movie
    listed in this online database, and overwrites all the data you've typed in
    with information about another completely different movie, that claims to be
    freeware, but requires you to log on and register with the developer just to
    get an activation code from them to run the program...
    /End Rant/

    In case you haven't guessed I have been looking for a decent DVD cataloguing
    program that can (preferably) scan a DVD in a DVD drive then go online and
    download the cover data about the movie from an online database, like I can
    with Audio CD's using Audio Grabber.

    Preferably freeware/shareware.

    I have tried and rejected 8 DVD cataloguing programs so far because of the
    above problems with them:

    Anyone got any suggestions????

    [OS: Windows XP]

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Max Burke

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:01:43 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >/RANT/
    >A DECENT DVD cataloguing program that doesn't have ALPHA release bugs,
    >require the install of Java, VB6, .NET, or MS MDAC system files on my
    >computer to run; A program that does NOT require the user to put in all the
    >cover information from the DVD case then when it goes online to
    >check/verify/download that information says that there is no such movie
    >listed in this online database, and overwrites all the data you've typed in
    >with information about another completely different movie, that claims to be
    >freeware, but requires you to log on and register with the developer just to
    >get an activation code from them to run the program...
    >/End Rant/
    >
    >In case you haven't guessed I have been looking for a decent DVD cataloguing
    >program that can (preferably) scan a DVD in a DVD drive then go online and
    >download the cover data about the movie from an online database, like I can
    >with Audio CD's using Audio Grabber.
    >
    >Preferably freeware/shareware.
    >
    >I have tried and rejected 8 DVD cataloguing programs so far because of the
    >above problems with them:

    Nio suggestions - but I'd be interested to see the list of your 8
    duffers!

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > Adam scribbled:

    >> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:01:43 +1200, Max Burke wrote:
    >> /RANT/
    >> A DECENT DVD cataloguing program that doesn't have ALPHA release
    >> bugs, require the install of Java, VB6, .NET, or MS MDAC system
    >> files on my computer to run; A program that does NOT require the
    >> user to put in all the cover information from the DVD case then
    >> when it goes online to check/verify/download that information says
    >> that there is no such movie listed in this online database, and
    >> overwrites all the data you've typed in with information about
    >> another completely different movie, that claims to be freeware, but
    >> requires you to log on and register with the developer just to get
    >> an activation code from them to run the program... /End Rant/

    >> In case you haven't guessed I have been looking for a decent DVD
    >> cataloguing program that can (preferably) scan a DVD in a DVD drive
    >> then go online and download the cover data about the movie from an
    >> online database, like I can with Audio CD's using Audio Grabber.
    >> Preferably freeware/shareware.
    >> I have tried and rejected 8 DVD cataloguing programs so far because
    >> of the above problems with them:

    > Nio suggestions - but I'd be interested to see the list of your 8
    > duffers!

    Here's some of them (cant remember all the ones I tried)...

    DVD Collector:
    http://www.crunchymedia.com/

    EMDB (best of the 'needs work' programs, and the one I was going to use.
    (see below))
    http://www.emdb.tk/

    Movie Maven:
    http://www.maven-software.com/movie_maven.htm

    Movie Organiser: 16MB download, mostly made up of MS MDAC system files, and
    has several serious Alpha bugs...
    http://www.movieorganizer.com/

    Media catalogue Studio: (not really a DVD cataloguer, but it popped up in a
    Google search)
    http://www.maniactools.com/soft/media_catalog_studio/index.shtml

    Cinematheca:
    http://www.cinematheca.com/index.shtml

    IMDB-Grab:
    http://www.imdbgrab.info/

    I finally found what I was looking for (a freeware OSS program the does
    nearly everything I want/need)
    Ant Movie Catalogue:
    http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog/

    It is very easy to set up and fast to use, is not restricted to one online
    movie/DVD database, and is very easy to maintain.
    The best part is that it uses predefined scripts to search nearly 100 online
    DVD/Movie databases to download very detailed information about the
    DVD/movie, reviews, awards won, when it was first broadcast (for TV
    programs) and also allows users to create their on scripts to use for any
    online DVD/Movie databases it doesn't already access.
    The only thing it doesn't do is scan a DVD and go online to get the data on
    the DVD/Movie. Users still have to type in the title of the DVD/movie and
    then get the program to search for the information.
    But then I haven't found any DVD cataloguing programs that do that. It can
    be
    done with Audio CD's (check out AudioGrabber and proof of that) why not with
    DVD's?

    I recommend this program to anyone looking for a DVD cataloguing program.

    Some other recommendations for multimedia programs I use:

    AudioGrabber for ripping Audio CD's or even vinyl/tape to MP3/Wav etc...
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

    Media Monkey for managing music/MP3 collections:
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/

    And Audacity for recording/editing MP3, Wav files, etc....
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Max Burke

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:02:45 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >I finally found what I was looking for (a freeware OSS program the does
    >nearly everything I want/need)
    >Ant Movie Catalogue:
    >http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog/

    .... and thanks for all the other info - much appreciated :)

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Max Burke

    Maroon

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    For organizing my movie collection I use free Movienizer movienizer.com. It is more configurable and scriptable than Ant Movie Catalog. It's capable of gathering movie info from different databases, not just IMDB.

    Maroon, Dec 18, 2009