    Any pointers greatly appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 6, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I scavenged from
    > old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap hole-saw set with my
    > birthday money (that should be ok for thin mild-steel sheetmetal) and want
    > to add a couple fans to cases and cut out perforated grilles and replace
    > them with less restrictive wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate
    > a source and my fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. :-(
    >
    > Any pointers greatly appreciated.

    Jaycar have a selection available.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 6, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I
    >> scavenged from old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap
    >> hole-saw set with my birthday money (that should be ok for thin
    >> mild-steel sheetmetal) and want to add a couple fans to cases and
    >> cut out perforated grilles and replace them with less restrictive
    >> wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate a source and my
    >> fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. :-( Any pointers
    >> greatly appreciated.

    > Jaycar have a selection available.

    Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
    work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
    worth of fan guards.

    Much appreciated.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 6, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I
    >>>scavenged from old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap
    >>>hole-saw set with my birthday money (that should be ok for thin
    >>>mild-steel sheetmetal) and want to add a couple fans to cases and
    >>>cut out perforated grilles and replace them with less restrictive
    >>>wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate a source and my
    >>>fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. :-( Any pointers
    >>>greatly appreciated.

    >>Jaycar have a selection available.

    > Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
    > work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
    > worth of fan guards.
    >
    > Much appreciated.

    If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
    waiting for you.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 6, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <445c814c$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
    >work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
    >worth of fan guards.

    You could buy them online, if you have a credit card. If not, use their
    freephone ordering number to find out if you can post them a cheque, order
    to be dispatched when the cheque clears.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 6, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> Jaycar have a selection available.

    >> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
    >> Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
    >> petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.
    >>
    >> Much appreciated.

    > If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
    > waiting for you.

    Indeed I will. I haven't been up to Auckland since we discussed it many
    months back. I get out even less now with the price of gas. However, I have
    a few bucks left from my birthday money, I might make it soon. When are you
    home? You're a mechanic aren't you? I could use some advice of an automotive
    nature too. (If it's not too much to ask).

    (misfitnz hat gmale dot com).

    BTW, that hole-saw set is going back. The damn things are oval, one has the
    teeth worn off already after one (very messy) hole. They make a hell of a
    mess of the case and leave very sharp bits all over the place. Mitre 10 seem
    to have a customer guarantee on the back of their till reciepts. The guy
    knew what I wanted it for and said it should be fine so it's not as if I'm
    using it for purposes it wasn't intended for. Might have to get a Blumol
    mandrel and just the one size holesaw for now. (If they give me a refund)
    Blumol sets are $200, this one was $25. So a set is out of the question.
    Luckilly they sell individual components. I just won't get a convenient case
    to keep them in buying that way.

    Shame though, I have an ugly hole in the side of one of my cases, had to
    finish it off with sidecutters (Don't have tin-snips or a nibbler). I'm not
    *that* worried about cosmetics. However, this hole/fan makes me look
    incompetant.

    Cheers,

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 6, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    PMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
    >>>Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
    >>>petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.
    >>>
    >>>Much appreciated.

    >>If you're heading in that way let me know and pick up the batts I have
    >>waiting for you.

    > Indeed I will. I haven't been up to Auckland since we discussed it many
    > months back. I get out even less now with the price of gas. However, I have
    > a few bucks left from my birthday money, I might make it soon. When are you
    > home? You're a mechanic aren't you? I could use some advice of an automotive
    > nature too. (If it's not too much to ask).
    >
    > (misfitnz hat gmale dot com).
    >
    > BTW, that hole-saw set is going back. The damn things are oval, one has the
    > teeth worn off already after one (very messy) hole. They make a hell of a
    > mess of the case and leave very sharp bits all over the place. Mitre 10 seem
    > to have a customer guarantee on the back of their till reciepts. The guy
    > knew what I wanted it for and said it should be fine so it's not as if I'm
    > using it for purposes it wasn't intended for. Might have to get a Blumol
    > mandrel and just the one size holesaw for now. (If they give me a refund)
    > Blumol sets are $200, this one was $25. So a set is out of the question.
    > Luckilly they sell individual components. I just won't get a convenient case
    > to keep them in buying that way.
    >
    > Shame though, I have an ugly hole in the side of one of my cases, had to
    > finish it off with sidecutters (Don't have tin-snips or a nibbler). I'm not
    > *that* worried about cosmetics. However, this hole/fan makes me look
    > incompetant.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Shaun.

    Hello

    If you drill the 4 fan mounting holes first and use them to screw a
    piece of wood to the inside. Cut through the metal into the wood. The
    wood will help guide the hole-saw and support the metal and you should
    get a cleaner hole.

    Paul
    PMB, May 7, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PMB wrote:
    > If you drill the 4 fan mounting holes first and use them to screw a
    > piece of wood to the inside. Cut through the metal into the wood. The
    > wood will help guide the hole-saw and support the metal and you should
    > get a cleaner hole.

    Thanks for the tip Paul. I was drilling against a piece of wood but hadn't
    screwed them together.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 7, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I scavenged from
    > old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap hole-saw set with my
    > birthday money (that should be ok for thin mild-steel sheetmetal) and want
    > to add a couple fans to cases and cut out perforated grilles and replace
    > them with less restrictive wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate
    > a source and my fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. :-(

    even with a quality one-piece hole saw (arbour welded to the blade) I was
    getting razor sharp edges, (if i'd used a drill press that may not have
    happened)

    offset (avation style) tin snips or a chassis punch give a much neater finish,

    And the snips are cheaper than the (good) hole saw and cleaner in use
    (no need for oil to cool the blade) make sure you get offset snips though.

    > Any pointers greatly appreciated.

    for grills: jaycar have them wire in 80,120, and 150mm in wire
    60 80 and 120 in plastic.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 7, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    >> Jaycar have a selection available.

    > Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need. Now to
    > work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on petrol for $15/20
    > worth of fan guards.

    they do mail order.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 7, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > BTW, that hole-saw set is going back. The damn things are oval, one has the
    > teeth worn off already after one (very messy) hole. They make a hell of a
    > mess of the case and leave very sharp bits all over the place. Mitre 10 seem
    > to have a customer guarantee on the back of their till reciepts. The guy
    > knew what I wanted it for and said it should be fine so it's not as if I'm
    > using it for purposes it wasn't intended for. Might have to get a Blumol
    > mandrel and just the one size holesaw for now. (If they give me a refund)
    > Blumol sets are $200, this one was $25. So a set is out of the question.
    > Luckilly they sell individual components. I just won't get a convenient case
    > to keep them in buying that way.
    >
    > Shame though, I have an ugly hole in the side of one of my cases, had to
    > finish it off with sidecutters (Don't have tin-snips or a nibbler). I'm not
    > *that* worried about cosmetics. However, this hole/fan makes me look
    > incompetant.

    get some quality offset avation tin snips (eg Wiss or Erdi brands) or (if
    you can find one) a chassis punch in the size you want
    even a good holesaw will make a mess in sheet metal (mine was McCoy brand)
    it cost about $60 in Australia.

    some good spray paint could be usefull too, PlastiCote or Dulux etc,
    not the cheap stuff.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, May 7, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <445c814c$>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
    >> Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
    >> petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.

    > You could buy them online, if you have a credit card. If not, use
    > their freephone ordering number to find out if you can post them a
    > cheque, order to be dispatched when the cheque clears.

    Thanks Don. No credit card unfortunately, it stops me being able to buy lots
    of things on-line. However, I'll call them up for alternative payment
    methods.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 7, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Jasen Betts <> wrote:

    >And the snips are cheaper than the (good) hole saw and cleaner in use
    >(no need for oil to cool the blade) make sure you get offset snips though.

    I've always done chassis cutouts with a good nibbler.
    It's slow but makes a neat job. Laying masking tape over the "good" side of
    the work stops the nibbler marking the finish. I've never been as good with
    snips, I usually end up with some slight warping of the material.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 7, 2006
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> You know the type? Wire chromed grilles. I had a few that I
    >> scavenged from old PSUs etc. but have run out. I've just got a cheap
    >> hole-saw set with my birthday money (that should be ok for thin
    >> mild-steel sheetmetal) and want to add a couple fans to cases and
    >> cut out perforated grilles and replace them with less restrictive
    >> wire grilles. However, I've been unable to locate a source and my
    >> fans/parts drawer only contains 60mm and 40mm ones now. :-(

    > even with a quality one-piece hole saw (arbour welded to the blade) I
    > was getting razor sharp edges, (if i'd used a drill press that may
    > not have happened)
    >
    > offset (avation style) tin snips or a chassis punch give a much
    > neater finish,

    Ok, thanks. I might look into the tinsnips. Chassis punches seem to be out
    of my price range.

    > And the snips are cheaper than the (good) hole saw and cleaner in use
    > (no need for oil to cool the blade) make sure you get offset snips
    > though.
    >
    >> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

    > for grills: jaycar have them wire in 80,120, and 150mm in wire
    > 60 80 and 120 in plastic.

    Thanks Jasen, I'll be contacting them if I can come up with a way of cutting
    neat holes.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 8, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jasen Betts <> wrote:
    >>
    >> And the snips are cheaper than the (good) hole saw and cleaner in
    >> use (no need for oil to cool the blade) make sure you get offset
    >> snips though.

    > I've always done chassis cutouts with a good nibbler.
    > It's slow but makes a neat job. Laying masking tape over the "good"
    > side of the work stops the nibbler marking the finish. I've never
    > been as good with snips, I usually end up with some slight warping of
    > the material.

    Thanks for that Don. Hmm, pricing a nibbler now. Ahh, I see you've said "a
    *good* nibbler", I guess that'll rule it out of my price-range.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 8, 2006
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2006-05-06, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Jaycar have a selection available.

    >> Thanks. I've just had a quick look and found them, just what I need.
    >> Now to work out how to get a few without having to spend $30 on
    >> petrol for $15/20 worth of fan guards.

    > they do mail order.

    Just saw that, thanks.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 8, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks for that Don. Hmm, pricing a nibbler now. Ahh, I see you've said "a
    > *good* nibbler", I guess that'll rule it out of my price-range.

    T4945 from DSE works ok for a cheap nibbler, and IIRC comes with a spare
    blade set. At $14.50 retail it should just about fit your budget.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 8, 2006
  18. ~misfit~

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <e3metl$hic$>, EMB <> wrote:

    >T4945 from DSE works ok for a cheap nibbler, and IIRC comes with a spare
    >blade set. At $14.50 retail it should just about fit your budget.

    I have one one of those, as well as an expensive one I bought 30 years ago
    to the same basic design. The expensive one is more solidly built than the
    DSE one, but the DSE one has been fine so far. I prefer it for light work
    because the handles are easier on the hands than the ones on the expensive
    one. Either way, nibbling a fan hole is a good way to build up hand and
    wrist strength. You can drill a pilot hole then nibble round in a circle,
    but I found the fastest way was to drill a ring of holes just inside the
    final size, nibble out the bridges between the holes, then nibble radially
    up to the final line.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 8, 2006
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for that Don. Hmm, pricing a nibbler now. Ahh, I see you've
    >> said "a *good* nibbler", I guess that'll rule it out of my
    >> price-range.

    > T4945 from DSE works ok for a cheap nibbler, and IIRC comes with a
    > spare blade set. At $14.50 retail it should just about fit your
    > budget.

    Thanks. Might go see if they have one here now. :) Not that I have an
    immediate need for it, I managed a messy hole with the oval holesaw set that
    I took back to Mitre 10. I'm more in need of some 'trim' to fit around the
    hole to hide the messy edges and cover the sharp bits (where I didn't manage
    to remove them all).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 9, 2006
  20. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks. Might go see if they have one here now. :) Not that I have an
    > immediate need for it, I managed a messy hole with the oval holesaw set that
    > I took back to Mitre 10. I'm more in need of some 'trim' to fit around the
    > hole to hide the messy edges and cover the sharp bits (where I didn't manage
    > to remove them all).

    The local Plastic Box store sells some plastic/rubber trim that would
    probably do the job. It might be worth a look in the Pukekohe store.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 9, 2006