    able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be seen in the living
    room. To me they just don't look good there.
    L.D.

    L.D., Jan 29, 2006

  2. L.D.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 1/29/2006 12:00:07 PM, Without Any Hesitation, L.D. Wrote
    The Following:

    > I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one. It
    > needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my needs,
    > would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use. Reason I ask
    > is I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and want it to be
    > able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be seen in the living
    > room. To me they just don't look good there.
    > L.D.

    Just a wild guess but if when closing the lid on a laptop the screen
    is laid flat. I therefore see no reason why a stand alone monitor
    could not be laid down flat. (With extream caution of course)
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.

    Old Gringo, Jan 29, 2006

  3. L.D.

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:00:07 -0600, "L.D." <>
    wrote:

    >I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one. It
    >needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my needs,
    >would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use. Reason I ask
    >is I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and want it to be
    >able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be seen in the living
    >room. To me they just don't look good there.
    >L.D.

    I have a small black and white unit that is part of my 286 IBM. Want
    that?
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Jan 29, 2006
  4. L.D.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1ji73d9plkeb0$.i6ndx3w3ked4$,
    Old Gringo spewed forth:
    > On Or About 1/29/2006 12:00:07 PM, Without Any Hesitation, L.D. Wrote
    > The Following:
    >
    >> I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one.
    >> It needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my
    >> needs, would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use.
    >> Reason I ask is I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and
    >> want it to be able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be
    >> seen in the living room. To me they just don't look good there.
    >> L.D.

    > Just a wild guess but if when closing the lid on a laptop the screen
    > is laid flat. I therefore see no reason why a stand alone monitor
    > could not be laid down flat. (With extream caution of course)

    Quite correct. Perhaps keeping a nice folded hand towel to lay it down on
    would keep from scratching the surface...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  5. L.D.

    Tony Guest

    "L.D." <> wrote in message
    >I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one. It
    >needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my needs,
    >would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use. Reason I ask is
    >I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and want it to be able to
    >shut the roll top and the computer won't be seen in the living room. To me
    >they just don't look good there.
    > L.D.

    If you are looking for one 10" or under, you will need to look at the motor
    accessory suppliers. A lot of smaller monitors are used in auto's such as
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8-TFT-LCD-AV-TV...859522761QQcategoryZ32826QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .
    They come with a mains adaptor to use indoors but make sure they have a VGA
    lead as some just have AV inputs.

    Tony, Jan 29, 2006
  6. L.D.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 1/29/2006 1:42:24 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim
    Wrote The Following:

    > In news:1ji73d9plkeb0$.i6ndx3w3ked4$,
    > Old Gringo spewed forth:
    >> On Or About 1/29/2006 12:00:07 PM, Without Any Hesitation, L.D. Wrote
    >> The Following:
    >>
    >>> I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one.
    >>> It needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my
    >>> needs, would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use.
    >>> Reason I ask is I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and
    >>> want it to be able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be
    >>> seen in the living room. To me they just don't look good there.
    >>> L.D.

    >> Just a wild guess but if when closing the lid on a laptop the screen
    >> is laid flat. I therefore see no reason why a stand alone monitor
    >> could not be laid down flat. (With extream caution of course)

    > Quite correct. Perhaps keeping a nice folded hand towel to lay it down on
    > would keep from scratching the surface...

    Totaly agree on that one. Toolman Tim, while you are hear. I have a
    computer with WinXP Pro that seems to be running flawlessly with one
    exceptlion. When trying to use my web cam with Yahoo IM, Skype etc.
    The computer at random time intervals rainging from 2 min. to 30 min.
    will freeze solid and only way out is reset. I have reinstalled and
    reinstalled all drivers and made sure they were all current.
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) VIA
    Technologies, Inc. KM400-8235
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: KM400-8235
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 05/31/2004
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    27.78 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-W162L [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

    WDC WD400BB-22JHA0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
    WD-WMAMC1012140, rev 05.01C05, SMART Status: Healthy 1024
    Megabytes Installed Memory

    Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 40.02 GB 27.78 GB free
    Network Drives
    None detected
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller Sapphire RADEON X700 [Display
    adapter]
    Sapphire RADEON X700 Secondary [Display adapter]
    Sceptre 13.2 [Monitor] (13.2"vis, August 1998)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x)
    VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    Logitech Microphone (Pro 4000)
    Communications Other Devices

    VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    primary Auto IP Address: 69.150.192.26 / 24
    Gateway: 69.150.192.27
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    Physical Address: 00:11:5B:13:86:2E

    Networking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1
    HID-compliant device (2x)
    USB Human Interface Device (2x)
    Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    Logitech USB Camera (Pro 4000)
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub (4x)
    Virus Protection [Back to Top]
    avast! antivirus 4.6.744 [VPS 0605-0] Version 4.6.744
    Realtime File Scanning On

    Had the exact problem when I was using Win98se on the same computer.
    New OS and Video Card. Same problem as always. I thought new OS and
    Video card would solve the problem. I have used EndItAll and only
    run Skype and camera and still the same problem.
    At Your Mercy
    OG
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.
    Freedom For The World http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    1/29/2006 2:31:33 PM CT USA

    Old Gringo, Jan 29, 2006
  7. L.D.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Old Gringo spewed forth:
> [...]

    > Gateway: 69.150.192.27
    > Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    > Physical Address: 00:11:5B:13:86:2E
    >
    > Networking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1
    > HID-compliant device (2x)
    > USB Human Interface Device (2x)
    > Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
    > Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    > HID-compliant mouse
    > Logitech USB Camera (Pro 4000)
    > USB Composite Device
    > USB Root Hub (4x)
    > Virus Protection [Back to Top]
    > avast! antivirus 4.6.744 [VPS 0605-0] Version 4.6.744
    > Realtime File Scanning On
    >
    > Had the exact problem when I was using Win98se on the same computer.
    > New OS and Video Card. Same problem as always. I thought new OS and
    > Video card would solve the problem. I have used EndItAll and only
    > run Skype and camera and still the same problem.

    Best guess would be the USB port or camera. I've had similar experiences
    with USB hardware. USB carries power - a fault in it's circuitry can easily
    spike into the system locking a component that is seemingly unrelated.

    Two inexpensive things I'd try: first, a powered USB hub. That might isolate
    the camera from the system a little better. A camera fault might be stopped
    at the hub. Second, an add-in USB card. If the fault is in the mainboard USB
    ports, this could provide a workaround. No guarantees though. But since I'm
    to the point now that it's impossible to have too many USB ports on my PC,
    neither item would be considered a waste even if they don't solve the
    problem <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  8. L.D.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 1/29/2006 3:08:53 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim
    Wrote The Following:

> [...]

    >> Video card would solve the problem. I have used EndItAll and only
    >> run Skype and camera and still the same problem.
    >> At Your Mercy
    >> OG

    > Best guess would be the USB port or camera. I've had similar experiences
    > with USB hardware. USB carries power - a fault in it's circuitry can easily
    > spike into the system locking a component that is seemingly unrelated.
    >
    > Two inexpensive things I'd try: first, a powered USB hub. That might isolate
    > the camera from the system a little better. A camera fault might be stopped
    > at the hub. Second, an add-in USB card. If the fault is in the mainboard USB
    > ports, this could provide a workaround. No guarantees though. But since I'm
    > to the point now that it's impossible to have too many USB ports on my PC,
    > neither item would be considered a waste even if they don't solve the

    Thanks a million Toolman Tim, The above all sounds like a winner to
    me. Will give it a try and see what happens. Tks again.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.
    Freedom For The World http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    1/29/2006 4:37:36 PM CT USA

    Old Gringo, Jan 29, 2006
  9. L.D.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >>> Totaly agree on that one. Toolman Tim, while you are hear. I have
    >>> a computer with WinXP Pro that seems to be running flawlessly with
    >>> one exceptlion. When trying to use my web cam with Yahoo IM, Skype
    >>> etc. The computer at random time intervals rainging from 2 min. to
    >>> 30 min. will freeze solid and only way out is reset. I have
    >>> reinstalled and reinstalled all drivers and made sure they were all
    >>> current.
    >>>
    >>> Had the exact problem when I was using Win98se on the same computer.
    >>> New OS and Video Card. Same problem as always. I thought new OS
    >>> and Video card would solve the problem. I have used EndItAll and
    >>> only run Skype and camera and still the same problem.
    >>> At Your Mercy
    >>> OG

    >> Best guess would be the USB port or camera. I've had similar
    >> experiences with USB hardware. USB carries power - a fault in it's
    >> circuitry can easily spike into the system locking a component that
    >> is seemingly unrelated.
    >>
    >> Two inexpensive things I'd try: first, a powered USB hub. That might
    >> isolate the camera from the system a little better. A camera fault
    >> might be stopped at the hub. Second, an add-in USB card. If the
    >> fault is in the mainboard USB ports, this could provide a
    >> workaround. No guarantees though. But since I'm to the point now
    >> that it's impossible to have too many USB ports on my PC, neither
    >> item would be considered a waste even if they don't solve the
    >> problem <g>

    > Thanks a million Toolman Tim, The above all sounds like a winner to
    > me. Will give it a try and see what happens. Tks again.

    Good luck!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  10. L.D.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 1/29/2006 5:50:00 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim
    Wrote The Following:

    >>> Best guess would be the USB port or camera. I've had similar
    >>> experiences with USB hardware. USB carries power - a fault in it's
    >>> circuitry can easily spike into the system locking a component that
    >>> is seemingly unrelated.
    >>>
    >>> Two inexpensive things I'd try: first, a powered USB hub. That might
    >>> isolate the camera from the system a little better. A camera fault
    >>> might be stopped at the hub. Second, an add-in USB card. If the
    >>> fault is in the mainboard USB ports, this could provide a
    >>> workaround. No guarantees though. But since I'm to the point now
    >>> that it's impossible to have too many USB ports on my PC, neither
    >>> item would be considered a waste even if they don't solve the
    >>> problem <g>

    >> Thanks a million Toolman Tim, The above all sounds like a winner to
    >> me. Will give it a try and see what happens. Tks again.

    > Good luck!

    Thanks, this is what I ordered, hope it is what you ment.
    http://tinyurl.com/8cpht TigerDirect.com
    http://tinyurl.com/76b4v TigetDirect.com
    Thanks again, will let you know in a couple of weeks.
    OG
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.
    Freedom For The World http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    1/29/2006 5:54:22 PM CT USA

    Old Gringo, Jan 29, 2006
  11. L.D.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Old Gringo spewed forth:

    >>> Thanks a million Toolman Tim, The above all sounds like a winner to
    >>> me. Will give it a try and see what happens. Tks again.

    >> Good luck!

    > Thanks, this is what I ordered, hope it is what you ment.
    > http://tinyurl.com/8cpht TigerDirect.com
    > http://tinyurl.com/76b4v TigetDirect.com
    > Thanks again, will let you know in a couple of weeks.
    > OG

    Yup - that's the idea. Hope it works out for you.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2006
  12. L.D.

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 1/29/2006 6:04:36 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim
    Wrote The Following:

    > In news:,
    > Old Gringo spewed forth:

    >>> Good luck!

    >> Thanks, this is what I ordered, hope it is what you ment.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8cpht TigerDirect.com
    >> http://tinyurl.com/76b4v TigetDirect.com
    >> Thanks again, will let you know in a couple of weeks.
    >> OG

    > Yup - that's the idea. Hope it works out for you.

    Thank You for all the help, very much appreciated.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be.
    Freedom For The World http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    1/29/2006 7:53:53 PM CT USA

    Old Gringo, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Old Gringo wrote:

    On Or About 1/29/2006 12:00:07 PM, Without Any Hesitation, L.D. Wrote
    >The Following:
    >

    >Just a wild guess but if when closing the lid on a laptop the screen
    >is laid flat. I therefore see no reason why a stand alone monitor
    >could not be laid down flat. (With extream caution of course)

    What do you know about when closing the lid on a laptop the screen?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Old Gringo wrote:

    On Or About 1/29/2006 6:04:36 PM, Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim
    >Wrote The Following:
    >

    >Thank You for all the help, very much appreciated.

    You're not really talking about me -- are you?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  15. L.D. wrote:

    I need a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one. It
    >needs to no be over 10 1/2" tall. If I can't find one to fit my needs,
    >would it be ok to lay the larger one down when not in use. Reason I ask
    >is I have roll top desk I'm using for 2nd computer and want it to be
    >able to shut the roll top and the computer won't be seen in the living
    >room. To me they just don't look good there.
    >L.D.

    What would getting a small flat panel monitor and haven't been able to find one mean to you?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Old Gringo wrote:

    On Or About 1/29/2006 12:00:07 PM, Without Any Hesitation, L.D. Wrote
    >The Following:
    >

    >Just a wild guess but if when closing the lid on a laptop the screen
    >is laid flat. I therefore see no reason why a stand alone monitor
    >could not be laid down flat. (With extream caution of course)

    Do you think its likely that when closing the lid on a laptop the screen?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    joevan wrote:

    wrote:

    >I have a small black and white unit that is part of my 286 IBM. Want
    >that?

    Does that suggest anything else which belongs to you?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  18. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    In news:1ji73d9plkeb0$.i6ndx3w3ked4$,
    >Old Gringo spewed forth:
    >
    >Quite correct. Perhaps keeping a nice folded hand towel to lay it down on
    >would keep from scratching the surface...

    What does this speculation lead to?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  19. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Tony wrote:

    >If you are looking for one 10" or under, you will need to look at the motor
    >accessory suppliers. A lot of smaller monitors are used in auto's such as
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/8-TFT-LCD-AV-TV...859522761QQcategoryZ32826QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .
    >They come with a mains adaptor to use indoors but make sure they have a VGA
    >lead as some just have AV inputs.

    What do you know about me are looking for one 10?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Re: Re: Wanted small monitor

    Old Gringo wrote:

> [...]
    > Gateway: 69.150.192.27
    > Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    > Physical Address: 00:11:5B:13:86:2E
    >
    >Networking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1
    > HID-compliant device (2x)
    >USB Human Interface Device (2x)
    >Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
    >Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    >HID-compliant mouse
    >Logitech USB Camera (Pro 4000)
    >USB Composite Device
    >USB Root Hub (4x)
    >Virus Protection [Back to Top]
    >avast! antivirus 4.6.744 [VPS 0605-0] Version 4.6.744
    > Realtime File Scanning On
    >
    >Had the exact problem when I was using Win98se on the same computer.
    >New OS and Video Card. Same problem as always. I thought new OS and
    >Video card would solve the problem. I have used EndItAll and only
    >run Skype and camera and still the same problem.

    Don't you think computers can help people?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006