    patma
    patmac's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=818
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181905581
    patmac, Mar 31, 2005

  2. patmac wrote:

    > Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.

    This is:

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others[1], rather than some
    clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and IT
    hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP) capability.
    Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take control of your
    own Usenet experience.

    [1]Or with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express, which,
    bad as it is still beats web interfaces for this activity that wasn't
    meant for webification.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005

  3. patmac

    patmac Guest

    patmac, Apr 1, 2005
  4. patmac

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * patmac wrote:
    > Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    > About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site concerning an
    > older very slow computer, I was given a list of about 5-8 procedures.
    > Whatever I was told to do, it worked. Now my brother has asked how to
    > speed up his compuetr (500Mz, 64Mg ram, 4 Gig HDD running Win98) Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    So you want to use the same procedure that helped you last time, but you
    can't remember what it was? Try:

    http://www.google.com.au/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    and put your name in the "author" field, the newsgroup your last request
    was in the "newsgroup" field, and you should get all the hits of your
    posts.

    > Also was wondering if you might have any input concerning MP3's? Are
    > there any sites where I can learn about this format? Is there any
    > freeware available?

    Can't help you there, I just use Windows Media Player - but my
    requirements for mp3s are pretty basic.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :
    Troy Piggins, Apr 1, 2005
  5. patmac wrote:

    > Huh?

    And learn to quote with it. Like the people who know what they're
    doing do.

    http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

    And dump the web interface. It's like trying to ride a tricycle on the
    freeway.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005
  6. patmac

    trout Guest

    patmac wrote:

    > Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    > About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site

    This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many others
    are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client, rather than
    some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.
    --
    "Guest" in-freaking-deed.
    trout, Apr 1, 2005
  7. trout wrote:

    > patmac wrote:

    >> Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    >> About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site

    > This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many others
    > are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client, rather than
    > some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.

    I already got a web-based "duh"[1] reply to my own similar advice.
    Good luck; we seem to be talking to a bag of rocks.

    [1]I paraphrase.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005
  8. patmac

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >
    >> patmac wrote:

    >>> Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty
    >>> simple. About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site

    >> This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many
    >> others are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client,
    >> rather than some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.

    > I already got a web-based "duh"[1] reply to my own similar advice.
    > Good luck; we seem to be talking to a bag of rocks.
    >
    > [1]I paraphrase.

    [but by only one letter.]

    Yes, so I saw, but I thought the point bore repeating. I don't know
    what the general sentiment is; but I, for one, don't appreciate having
    my Usenet posts slapped up on some butt-hole website. And I'm not
    particularly inclined to help users of the 'service'.
    --
    This just in: iamnotageek still sucks.
    trout, Apr 1, 2005
  9. trout wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> trout wrote:

    >>> This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many
    >>> others are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client,
    >>> rather than some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.

    >> I already got a web-based "duh"[1] reply to my own similar advice.
    >> Good luck; we seem to be talking to a bag of rocks.

    >> [1]I paraphrase.

    > [but by only one letter.]

    > Yes, so I saw, but I thought the point bore repeating. I don't know
    > what the general sentiment is; but I, for one, don't appreciate having
    > my Usenet posts slapped up on some butt-hole website. And I'm not
    > particularly inclined to help users of the 'service'.

    I thoroughly agree. It's actually the webmasters that need the
    bitch-slapping more than the users. Unfortunately, it's the users that
    we interface with, so they get the brunt. Tough shit. Let them learn
    to use Usenet the right way, and they won't be collateral damage.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005
  10. patmac

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:20:16 GMT, "trout" <> wrote:

    >patmac wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    >> About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site

    > This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many others
    >are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client, rather than
    >some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Apr 1, 2005
  11. Mara wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:20:16 GMT, "trout" <> wrote:

    >>patmac wrote:

    >>> Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    >>> About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site

    >> This is not a 'site'. It's a Usenet newsgroup. This, and many others
    >>are more easily and readily utilized by using a news client, rather than
    >>some dopey little hijacked version like iamnotageek.

    >--
    >"No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
    > AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    > --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Here come the webmasters that do this shit with Usenet!

    http://www.golamers.com/images/Motorcoach_broch.jpg

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005
  12. patmac

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:55:01 GMT, "trout" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Yes, so I saw, but I thought the point bore repeating. I don't know
    >what the general sentiment is; but I, for one, don't appreciate having
    >my Usenet posts slapped up on some butt-hole website. And I'm not
    >particularly inclined to help users of the 'service'.

    I absolutely agree with this post. They're unethical, stealing the words of
    others without bothering to ask - and without honoring X-No-Archive-Yes.

    "Could have bet on that, given the kind of people they must be."

    Mara, Apr 1, 2005
  13. patmac

    dadiOH Guest

    patmac wrote:
    > Also was wondering if you might have any input concerning MP3's? Are
    > there any sites where I can learn about this format? Is there any
    > freeware available?

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 1, 2005
  14. patmac

    Plato Guest

    patmac wrote:

    > Actually, I think everything I'm looking for should be pretty simple.
    > About 5 months ago I had asked for help on this site concerning an
    > older very slow computer, I was given a list of about 5-8 procedures.
    > Whatever I was told to do, it worked. Now my brother has asked how to
    > speed up his compuetr (500Mz, 64Mg ram, 4 Gig HDD running Win98) Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    Well, 128 ram would help, so would a new 7,200 RPM hard drive. One can
    get a 40 gig for not too much and while that pc will most likely only
    see 30 of it it's still a nice option to really speed up things.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 1, 2005
  15. patmac

    Franco Laban Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:22:09 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:55:01 GMT, "trout" <> wrote:
    >

    ><snip>
    >> Yes, so I saw, but I thought the point bore repeating. I don't know
    >>what the general sentiment is; but I, for one, don't appreciate having
    >>my Usenet posts slapped up on some butt-hole website. And I'm not
    >>particularly inclined to help users of the 'service'.

    >I absolutely agree with this post. They're unethical, stealing the words of
    >others without bothering to ask - and without honoring X-No-Archive-Yes.
    >
    >"Could have bet on that, given the kind of people they must be."

    Jesus, your nothing if not consistent.
    Franco Laban, Apr 1, 2005