Wanted Reading Suggestions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl wrote:
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Need to study up a bit on the file structure used in Linux
    >> (Xandros/Debian). Basically how the structure is setup and what goes
    >> where and why type stuff.

    > LINUX RUTE
    > http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
    > Its worth buying the book, I got my copy at Capital Books in
    > Waring-Taylor St.
    > The Linux Documentation Project
    > http://www.tldp.org/
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/

    Also
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/index.html

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    >>> http://www.debian.org/doc/

    >> Also
    >> http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/index.html

    > Just had a quick look and indeed a valuable resource for me to study
    > further thanks for the assistance.
    > My next question is likely to be about installing packages, since that
    > appears to be the most complex of processes.

    You will be amazed at how simple it is with a Debian derived distro.
    The package manager in Xandros is called Xandros Networks, check it out,
    update your system. Maybe find the newsreader option and it will install
    KNode.
    When you are ready you can add some options.
    In Xandros Networks you will find the option to add their "unsupported
    xandros debian repositary". Enable that, then search for aptitude and
    install it. Then run aptitude in a terminal window and you will be able
    to view all the packages available.
    If you have a look around on the Xandros forums you will find more info
    on how to add other debian mirrors and configure some files to use them
    safely without overwriting Xandros specific versions of packages.
    And if you install the developer tools packages in Xandros Networks you
    will get the c++ tools to do the ./configure, make, make-install type
    installation of source packages.
    If you break it you still own all the pieces :)

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:24:07 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > My next question is likely to be about installing packages, since that
    > appears to be the most complex of processes.

    That's generally distro specific, so look for Xandros info. Debian based
    info might help with understanding the underlying process but don't
    automatically assume it applies directly (it might though - I haven't used
    Xandros).

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 28, 2004
  5. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector_NZ_DarkSide wrote:
    > Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:

    >>> Just had a quick look and indeed a valuable resource for me to study
    >>> further thanks for the assistance.
    >>> My next question is likely to be about installing packages, since
    >>> that appears to be the most complex of processes.

    >> You will be amazed at how simple it is with a Debian derived distro.
    >> The package manager in Xandros is called Xandros Networks, check it
    >> out, update your system. Maybe find the newsreader option and it will
    >> install KNode.
    >> When you are ready you can add some options.
    >> In Xandros Networks you will find the option to add their "unsupported
    >> xandros debian repositary". Enable that, then search for aptitude and
    >> install it. Then run aptitude in a terminal window and you will be
    >> able to view all the packages available.
    >> If you have a look around on the Xandros forums you will find more
    >> info on how to add other debian mirrors and configure some files to
    >> use them safely without overwriting Xandros specific versions of
    >> packages.
    >> And if you install the developer tools packages in Xandros Networks
    >> you will get the c++ tools to do the ./configure, make, make-install
    >> type installation of source packages.
    >> If you break it you still own all the pieces :)

    > I have already discovered how good the Xandros packages install is via
    > the Xandros Network, got Mozilla in straight away.
    > What I really want though is Thunderbird and Firefox. Working on that
    > now using your tip but have not found the unsupported option yet. Tend
    > to get distracted by other neat bits and pieces (as you do with new
    > toys) and go all off track.
    > Break it, never it, its Linux, :cool:
    > Undoubtably I will break it, but I am expecting that and will not be
    > blaming the OS, just myself. Besides I expect to kill it off a couple of
    > times and start again to fix my mistakes a few times.

    Theres an earlier version in the archive under Firebird or
    Mozilla-firebird I think
    mozilla-firefox and mozilla are in debian testing,
    http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/mozilla-firefox
    http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/mozilla-thunderbird
    if you add
    deb http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian testing main
    as a source

    How to use non-xandros apt sources -SAFELY-

    http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=708

    When using multiple non-xandros apt sources (for example debian
    unstable) there is the possibility that a xandros package may be
    upgraded to a non-xandros version. It may break something in the case of
    debian unstable, or invalidate your right to support priority. Since
    xandros is built on debian, this isn't a problem to deal with and I am
    suprised the guys at xandros didnt make this easier. I hope to help the
    adventurous make sure they never replace xandros-provided software with
    versions not provided by xandros, enabling them to add any apt source
    they please without risking removing even xandros's version of kde.

    First, my config file and then an explanation. What follows is my apt
    preferences file, located at /etc/apt/preferences (which you will have
    to create if you wish to use my example):

    Package: *
    Pin: release l=Xandros Networks
    Pin-Priority: 991

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Xandros Corporation
    Pin-Priority: 991

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 777

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 333

    etc....

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector_NZ_DarkSide wrote:

    > Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:

    >>> Just had a quick look and indeed a valuable resource for me to study
    >>> further thanks for the assistance.
    >>> My next question is likely to be about installing packages, since that
    >>> appears to be the most complex of processes.

    >> You will be amazed at how simple it is with a Debian derived distro.
    >> The package manager in Xandros is called Xandros Networks, check it out,
    >> update your system. Maybe find the newsreader option and it will install
    >> KNode.
    >> When you are ready you can add some options.
    >> In Xandros Networks you will find the option to add their "unsupported
    >> xandros debian repositary". Enable that, then search for aptitude and
    >> install it. Then run aptitude in a terminal window and you will be able
    >> to view all the packages available.
    >> If you have a look around on the Xandros forums you will find more info
    >> on how to add other debian mirrors and configure some files to use them
    >> safely without overwriting Xandros specific versions of packages.
    >> And if you install the developer tools packages in Xandros Networks you
    >> will get the c++ tools to do the ./configure, make, make-install type
    >> installation of source packages.
    >> If you break it you still own all the pieces :)

    > I have already discovered how good the Xandros packages install is via
    > the Xandros Network, got Mozilla in straight away.
    > What I really want though is Thunderbird and Firefox. Working on that
    > now using your tip but have not found the unsupported option yet. Tend
    > to get distracted by other neat bits and pieces (as you do with new
    > toys) and go all off track.
    > Break it, never it, its Linux, :cool:
    > Undoubtably I will break it, but I am expecting that and will not be
    > blaming the OS, just myself. Besides I expect to kill it off a couple of
    > times and start again to fix my mistakes a few times.

    You will find it under Edit, Set Application Sources, Debian Unsupported
    Site
    Its still a xandros source, just not part of the fully supported subset of
    apps

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:58:08 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > As you have probably guessed I am a windows type venturing into the
    > darkside of Linux, and doing it on the self learn basis. Guess before I go
    > too far I will have to do a formal course or two or I will aquire bad
    > habits.

    No worries - I was in the same boat. The main difference is that I started
    using Linux for servers for a few years before moving my desktop over.

    Although it seems counter-intuitive to most people from Windows
    backgrounds, it's probably easier to get comfortable with Linux by running
    it as a server first.

    On Linux you get a desktop by adding stuff to a basic server, while on
    Windows you get a server by adding stuff to a basic desktop. What I mean
    by that is usually a Linux desktop is more complex than a Linux server,
    while a usually Windows server is more complex than Windows desktop.

    But recent progress in user friendly Linux desktop distros has made it a
    lot easier to start off with a desktop system than it used to be.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 28, 2004
  8. Alex Axolotl

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Collector_NZ, Nov 29, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  10. AD. said the following on 29/11/2004 10:52 a.m.:
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:24:07 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >>My next question is likely to be about installing packages, since that
    >>appears to be the most complex of processes.

    > That's generally distro specific, so look for Xandros info. Debian based
    > info might help with understanding the underlying process but don't
    > automatically assume it applies directly (it might though - I haven't used
    > Xandros).
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Sort of had that figured out, general info by linux specific info by
    xandros.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004

    Collector_NZ_DarkSide, Nov 29, 2004
  12. Alex Axolotl wrote:
    > Collector_NZ_DarkSide wrote:
    >

    >>Alex Axolotl wrote:

    >>>You will be amazed at how simple it is with a Debian derived distro.
    >>>The package manager in Xandros is called Xandros Networks, check it out,
    >>>update your system. Maybe find the newsreader option and it will install
    >>>KNode.
    >>>When you are ready you can add some options.
    >>>In Xandros Networks you will find the option to add their "unsupported
    >>>xandros debian repositary". Enable that, then search for aptitude and
    >>>install it. Then run aptitude in a terminal window and you will be able
    >>>to view all the packages available.
    >>>If you have a look around on the Xandros forums you will find more info
    >>>on how to add other debian mirrors and configure some files to use them
    >>>safely without overwriting Xandros specific versions of packages.
    >>>And if you install the developer tools packages in Xandros Networks you
    >>>will get the c++ tools to do the ./configure, make, make-install type
    >>>installation of source packages.
    >>>If you break it you still own all the pieces :)

    >>I have already discovered how good the Xandros packages install is via
    >>the Xandros Network, got Mozilla in straight away.
    >>What I really want though is Thunderbird and Firefox. Working on that
    >>now using your tip but have not found the unsupported option yet. Tend
    >>to get distracted by other neat bits and pieces (as you do with new
    >>toys) and go all off track.
    >>Break it, never it, its Linux, :cool:
    >>Undoubtably I will break it, but I am expecting that and will not be
    >>blaming the OS, just myself. Besides I expect to kill it off a couple of
    >>times and start again to fix my mistakes a few times.

    > You will find it under Edit, Set Application Sources, Debian Unsupported
    > Site
    > Its still a xandros source, just not part of the fully supported subset of
    > apps

    Many thanks for the pointers, have found it and now have heaps of stuff
    to distract me.

    Collector_NZ_DarkSide, Nov 30, 2004