    VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 21, 2004

  2. thing

    Harry Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Who sells what here?
    >
    > Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    > to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    > VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.

    Try this url:

    telnet://yourbox

    Failing that, get an X-server, eg X-Win32, XFree86, for over ethernet,
    or use ssh, telnet, putty, HyperTerminal, etc.

    Harry, Sep 21, 2004

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >

    >>Who sells what here?
    >>
    >>Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    >>to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    >>VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.
    >>

    > Try this url:
    >
    > telnet://yourbox
    >
    > Failing that, get an X-server, eg X-Win32, XFree86, for over ethernet,
    > or use ssh, telnet, putty, HyperTerminal, etc.

    The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth", this means not using the
    normal LAN. So I can boot the box(es) from the ok> prompt and look at a
    box where it has lost its NIC remotely. Some setups are even over a
    seperate LAN that is physically or logically (VLAN) isolated for
    security purposes. So there are various hardware based boxes like digi
    that have 8 or 16 or 32 or 48 serial ports, being hardware based they
    should not fail. I would rather like a web based hardware box that shows
    me the console in vga or 800x600 svga mode I dont know if anyone sells
    such a thing, with each port a seperate https://web page.

    I would also add telnet is not secure, if your using it I would suggest ssh.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 21, 2004
  4. thing

    Harry Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> thing wrote:
    >>

    >>>Who sells what here?
    >>>
    >>>Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    >>>to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    >>>VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.
    >>>

    >> Try this url:
    >>
    >> telnet://yourbox
    >>
    >> Failing that, get an X-server, eg X-Win32, XFree86, for over ethernet,
    >> or use ssh, telnet, putty, HyperTerminal, etc.
    >>

    > The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth", this means not using the
    > normal LAN. So I can boot the box(es) from the ok> prompt and look at a
    > box where it has lost its NIC remotely. Some setups are even over a
    > seperate LAN that is physically or logically (VLAN) isolated for
    > security purposes. So there are various hardware based boxes like digi
    > that have 8 or 16 or 32 or 48 serial ports, being hardware based they
    > should not fail. I would rather like a web based hardware box that shows
    > me the console in vga or 800x600 svga mode I dont know if anyone sells
    > such a thing, with each port a seperate https://web page.

    I am confused. You want something for when networking fails but you
    want to run http. You can get KVM-type boxes in a wide range of sizes.
    You can also get terminal servers for serial. And you have VNC etc provided
    you have a network.

    If your network fails you need other cables (like serial or terminal) but
    what if serial fails. You might as well have two NICs and two networks.

    That works quite well - each box has two NICs and two independent networks.
    But if everything fails then you have to walk or phone.

    So get redundant networking and run VNC.

    > I would also add telnet is not secure, if your using it I would suggest
    > ssh.

    But wouldn't anything be over a private restricted very local LAN?
    And it is ok to use telnet if nobody can access your LAN ... just like
    it is quite ok to pick my nose if nobody is watching.

    Harry, Sep 21, 2004
  5. thing

    Gordon Smith Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Who sells what here?
    >
    > Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    > to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    > VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Set up serial consoles and use a cisco 2511 with some spider cables :)

    Gordon Smith, Sep 21, 2004
  6. thing

    thing Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >

    >>Harry wrote:

    >>>Try this url:
    >>>
    >>> telnet://yourbox
    >>>
    >>>Failing that, get an X-server, eg X-Win32, XFree86, for over ethernet,
    >>>or use ssh, telnet, putty, HyperTerminal, etc.
    >>>

    >>The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth", this means not using the
    >>normal LAN. So I can boot the box(es) from the ok> prompt and look at a
    >>box where it has lost its NIC remotely. Some setups are even over a
    >>seperate LAN that is physically or logically (VLAN) isolated for
    >>security purposes. So there are various hardware based boxes like digi
    >>that have 8 or 16 or 32 or 48 serial ports, being hardware based they
    >>should not fail. I would rather like a web based hardware box that shows
    >>me the console in vga or 800x600 svga mode I dont know if anyone sells
    >>such a thing, with each port a seperate https://web page.

    > I am confused. You want something for when networking fails but you
    > want to run http. You can get KVM-type boxes in a wide range of sizes.
    > You can also get terminal servers for serial. And you have VNC etc provided
    > you have a network.
    >
    > If your network fails you need other cables (like serial or terminal) but
    > what if serial fails. You might as well have two NICs and two networks.
    >
    > That works quite well - each box has two NICs and two independent networks.
    > But if everything fails then you have to walk or phone.
    >
    > So get redundant networking and run VNC.
    >

    >>I would also add telnet is not secure, if your using it I would suggest
    >>ssh.

    > But wouldn't anything be over a private restricted very local LAN?
    > And it is ok to use telnet if nobody can access your LAN ... just like
    > it is quite ok to pick my nose if nobody is watching.

    We put in a seperate network, it does backups and then runs the out of
    bandwidth stuff in an emergency. With a remote serial/vga console, this
    is enterprise scale type stuff, not domestic....

    Per machine you can get lights out cards, but we have some older equipment.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 21, 2004
  7. thing

    thing Guest

    Gordon Smith wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Who sells what here?
    >>
    >>Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    >>to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    >>VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > Set up serial consoles and use a cisco 2511 with some spider cables :)

    yeah, I dont have a 2511 to hand, have to buy new....

    regards

    Steven

    thing, Sep 21, 2004
  8. thing

    theseus Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Harry wrote:
    >> thing wrote:

    >>>The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth", this means not using the
    >>>normal LAN. So I can boot the box(es) from the ok> prompt and look at a
    >>>box where it has lost its NIC remotely. Some setups are even over a
    >>>seperate LAN that is physically or logically (VLAN) isolated for
    >>>security purposes. So there are various hardware based boxes like digi
    >>>that have 8 or 16 or 32 or 48 serial ports, being hardware based they
    >>>should not fail. I would rather like a web based hardware box that shows
    >>>me the console in vga or 800x600 svga mode I dont know if anyone sells
    >>>such a thing, with each port a seperate https://web page.

    >> I am confused. You want something for when networking fails but you
    >> want to run http. You can get KVM-type boxes in a wide range of sizes.
    >> You can also get terminal servers for serial. And you have VNC etc
    >> provided
    >> you have a network.
    >>
    >> If your network fails you need other cables (like serial or terminal) but
    >> what if serial fails. You might as well have two NICs and two networks.
    >>
    >> That works quite well - each box has two NICs and two independent
    >> networks.
    >> But if everything fails then you have to walk or phone.
    >>
    >> So get redundant networking and run VNC.
    >>

    >>>I would also add telnet is not secure, if your using it I would suggest
    >>>ssh.

    >> But wouldn't anything be over a private restricted very local LAN?
    >> And it is ok to use telnet if nobody can access your LAN ... just like
    >> it is quite ok to pick my nose if nobody is watching.
    >>

    > We put in a seperate network, it does backups and then runs the out of
    > bandwidth stuff in an emergency. With a remote serial/vga console, this is
    > enterprise scale type stuff, not domestic....
    >
    > Per machine you can get lights out cards, but we have some older
    > equipment.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    But would you pick Harry's nose even if nobody was warching ?

    theseus, Sep 22, 2004
  9. thing

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:56:56 +1200, thing wrote:

    > The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth",

    Isn't the term "out of band"?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 22, 2004
  10. thing

    thing Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:56:56 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>The trick to notice here is "out of bandwidth",

    > Isn't the term "out of band"?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Very possibly, I have heard it referred both ways.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Sep 22, 2004
  11. thing

    richard Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Who sells what here?
    >
    > Ideally I would like a web browser to show a vga console so I can browse
    > to the boxes if I lose the network or server. Need serial for Sun, and
    > VGA for tru64, Linux, win2kx. Connect via ethernet and / or modem.

    KVM over IPs exist, I believe blackbox make one

    richard, Sep 22, 2004