Wanted: "mailbag" style thrifty shoulderbag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JeffOYB@hotmail.com, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Anyone know of a thrifty canvas (ideally with leather points)
    mailbag-style shoulderbag?

    I'm thinking of a top-opening bag with a rumply style and some outside
    pockets.

    Size: 15"x15"x9 approx

    Territory Ahead makes a dandy one, for $160---I'm looking for a budget
    solution here.

    (http://www.territoryahead.com/shopS...10&shopperid=B69LTDM1537U9N2EHT5Q7BH0UVXGAAUE)

    I'm surprised there is nothing in the mil-surplus sector---haven't
    found anything anyway. There are daybags and occasional flap-over
    messenger bags then small rucksacks but no larger top-open
    shoulderbags.

    thanks!
    Jeff Potter
    outyourbackdoor.com

    , Dec 15, 2005

  2. Rob Novak Guest

    On 15 Dec 2005 06:13:44 -0800, wrote:

    >I'm surprised there is nothing in the mil-surplus sector---haven't
    >found anything anyway. There are daybags and occasional flap-over
    >messenger bags then small rucksacks but no larger top-open
    >shoulderbags.

    The local (Baltimore/Washington area) mil-surplus and outdoor
    outfitters carry canvas tool-bags, but no leather trim, and they're
    zip-top with a flap-over. I bought one and attached four ammo pouches
    of the same material to the outside with snaps to use as detachable
    pockets. Works a charm, but a bit rougher looking than that fancy
    $160 gear bag.

    However, Duluth Trading has a bag that looks very similar to the
    Territory Ahead version for only $50:
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/organizers/toolbags/35634.aspx

    --
    Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://cmpg.org
    Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://rob.rnovak.net

    Rob Novak, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Per Rob Novak:
    >Works a charm, but a bit rougher looking than that fancy
    >$160 gear bag.

    As somebody else observed, there's something to be said for a bag that doesn't
    scream "Expensive/valuable stuff inside.".

    When I worked at an airport once, it was common knowledge that the *really*
    valuable stuff was shipped in cartons with labels like "Toilet Paper".
    Dunno if it was true, but it was 'common knowledge'....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    I own one of these:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mao-Chinese-Sol...243433860QQcategoryZ52361QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    wrote:
    > Anyone know of a thrifty canvas (ideally with leather points)
    > mailbag-style shoulderbag?
    >
    > I'm thinking of a top-opening bag with a rumply style and some outside
    > pockets.
    >
    > Size: 15"x15"x9 approx
    >
    > Territory Ahead makes a dandy one, for $160---I'm looking for a budget
    > solution here.
    >
    > (http://www.territoryahead.com/shopS...10&shopperid=B69LTDM1537U9N2EHT5Q7BH0UVXGAAUE)
    >
    > I'm surprised there is nothing in the mil-surplus sector---haven't
    > found anything anyway. There are daybags and occasional flap-over
    > messenger bags then small rucksacks but no larger top-open
    > shoulderbags.
    >
    > thanks!
    > Jeff Potter
    > outyourbackdoor.com

    , Dec 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/...t=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&salic=-15&fhlc=1

    wrote:
    > Anyone know of a thrifty canvas (ideally with leather points)
    > mailbag-style shoulderbag?
    >
    > I'm thinking of a top-opening bag with a rumply style and some outside
    > pockets.
    >
    > Size: 15"x15"x9 approx
    >
    > Territory Ahead makes a dandy one, for $160---I'm looking for a budget
    > solution here.
    >
    > (http://www.territoryahead.com/shopS...10&shopperid=B69LTDM1537U9N2EHT5Q7BH0UVXGAAUE)
    >
    > I'm surprised there is nothing in the mil-surplus sector---haven't
    > found anything anyway. There are daybags and occasional flap-over
    > messenger bags then small rucksacks but no larger top-open
    > shoulderbags.
    >
    > thanks!
    > Jeff Potter
    > outyourbackdoor.com

    , Dec 15, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks! The Duluth bag looks GREAT! I've examined their stuff before
    but haven't gone to that section. Darn, do they have a print catalog? I
    get lost on someathese fancy websites... Like, the Guy Bag / Mailbag at
    Territory Ahead isn't really findable via their homepage, I had to use
    an item number or some weird thing to find it. --JP

    , Dec 15, 2005
  7. Robert C. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Per Rob Novak:
    >>Works a charm, but a bit rougher looking than that fancy
    >>$160 gear bag.

    > As somebody else observed, there's something to be said for a bag that
    > doesn't
    > scream "Expensive/valuable stuff inside.".
    >
    > When I worked at an airport once, it was common knowledge that the
    > *really*
    > valuable stuff was shipped in cartons with labels like "Toilet Paper".
    > Dunno if it was true, but it was 'common knowledge'....
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    I knew someone who carried his camera equipment in a women's makeup (vanity)
    case. Anyone who saw him carrying this would never suspect that there was
    camera equipment inside.

    ~Robert.

    Robert C., Dec 15, 2005
  8. "Robert C." <> wrote in message
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    >> Per Rob Novak:
    >>>Works a charm, but a bit rougher looking than that fancy
    >>>$160 gear bag.

    >> As somebody else observed, there's something to be said for a bag that
    >> doesn't
    >> scream "Expensive/valuable stuff inside.".
    >>
    >> When I worked at an airport once, it was common knowledge that the
    >> *really*
    >> valuable stuff was shipped in cartons with labels like "Toilet Paper".
    >> Dunno if it was true, but it was 'common knowledge'....
    >> --
    >> PeteCresswell

    > I knew someone who carried his camera equipment in a women's makeup
    > (vanity) case. Anyone who saw him carrying this would never suspect that
    > there was camera equipment inside.
    >
    > ~Robert.

    You could always wear a postman's uniform, and carry your stuff in a leather
    bag marked, "U.S.Mail".

    William Graham, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Paul Furman Guest

    Looks like lots of options googling 'bike messenger bag'
    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bike+messenger+bag&btnG=Google+Search>

    Paul Furman, Dec 15, 2005
  10. ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Dec 2005 06:13:44 -0800, wrote:

    > Anyone know of a thrifty canvas (ideally with leather points)
    > mailbag-style shoulderbag?

    I don't know of any particular bag or stores that sell them, but
    what you're describing is most commonly found in the women's section
    of department stores, or in stores selling equipment for the beach.
    Similar bags (I don't know if they have leather reinforcments ) are
    sometimes known as "messenger bags", and Google may be able to
    locate some of these for you.

    ASAAR, Dec 15, 2005
  11. Crash Gordon Guest

    I have an old WWII canvas bag I bought in surplus store 30 years ago for 5
    bucks...still use it. I think it was called a musette bag, maybe it was a
    medic bag or something..can't wear the darn thing out. I did line it with
    some thin foam padding. No one would ever suspect I was carrying expensive
    camera junk in it.

    Crash Gordon, Dec 16, 2005
  12. "Crash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >I have an old WWII canvas bag I bought in surplus store 30 years ago for 5
    > bucks...still use it. I think it was called a musette bag, maybe it was a
    > medic bag or something..can't wear the darn thing out. I did line it with
    > some thin foam padding. No one would ever suspect I was carrying expensive
    > camera junk in it.

    Or, you could take a regular camera bag, and crud it up by sewing daisy's
    and stuff on it, so it looks like one of your wife's knitting bags. I knew a
    guy who owned one of the local bicycle shops in town, and he hand painted
    his $3000 bicycle with khaki colored paint, so it looked like a cheap Schwin
    knock-around bike......He never had to worry about it getting stolen.
    (Bicycle thieves never know anything about bikes.)

    William Graham, Dec 16, 2005
  13. Jeremy Guest

    "Robert C." <> wrote in message news:WCkof.4715

    > I knew someone who carried his camera equipment in a women's makeup
    > (vanity) case. Anyone who saw him carrying this would never suspect that
    > there was camera equipment inside.

    Diaper bags make excellent disguises.

    Jeremy, Dec 16, 2005
  14. Jeremy Guest

    "William Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Crash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an old WWII canvas bag I bought in surplus store 30 years ago for 5
    >> bucks...still use it. I think it was called a musette bag, maybe it was a
    >> medic bag or something..can't wear the darn thing out. I did line it with
    >> some thin foam padding. No one would ever suspect I was carrying
    >> expensive
    >> camera junk in it.

    > Or, you could take a regular camera bag, and crud it up by sewing daisy's
    > and stuff on it, so it looks like one of your wife's knitting bags. I knew
    > a guy who owned one of the local bicycle shops in town, and he hand
    > painted his $3000 bicycle with khaki colored paint, so it looked like a
    > cheap Schwin knock-around bike......He never had to worry about it getting
    > stolen. (Bicycle thieves never know anything about bikes.)

    Crochet Bags--available in craft stores (Michaels, A.C. Moore in the US)
    sell for about $5.00 and may fit the bill nicely. Maybe Wal-Mart sells them
    in their craft section--I don't frequent that department too often, so I
    don't know for certain.

    Jeremy, Dec 16, 2005
  15. Jeremy Guest

    "Robert C." <> wrote in message
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    >> Per Rob Novak:
    >>>Works a charm, but a bit rougher looking than that fancy
    >>>$160 gear bag.

    >> As somebody else observed, there's something to be said for a bag that
    >> doesn't
    >> scream "Expensive/valuable stuff inside.".
    >>
    >> When I worked at an airport once, it was common knowledge that the
    >> *really*
    >> valuable stuff was shipped in cartons with labels like "Toilet Paper".
    >> Dunno if it was true, but it was 'common knowledge'....
    >> --
    >> PeteCresswell

    > I knew someone who carried his camera equipment in a women's makeup
    > (vanity) case. Anyone who saw him carrying this would never suspect that
    > there was camera equipment inside.
    >
    > ~Robert.

    Ron Peterman sells an exact replica of the original US Mail Sack through his
    mail order catalog, in leather, complete with strap, but it's about $300.00.
    My wife bought one a couple of years ago, and she loves it.

    Last year, I saw a rerun of an old Andy Williams Christmas Special, and
    there was a number staged in a town square. Lo and behold, a mailman
    appeared, carrying that very bag! (The original version, of course).

    Peterman calls it the "Counterfeit Mailbag." I don't have his web address
    handy, but it should be easy to find. I must admit that I never thought of
    using that bag to carry photo gear though.

    Jeremy, Dec 16, 2005
  16. no_name Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On 15 Dec 2005 06:13:44 -0800, wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone know of a thrifty canvas (ideally with leather points)
    >>mailbag-style shoulderbag?

    > I don't know of any particular bag or stores that sell them, but
    > what you're describing is most commonly found in the women's section
    > of department stores, or in stores selling equipment for the beach.
    > Similar bags (I don't know if they have leather reinforcments ) are
    > sometimes known as "messenger bags", and Google may be able to
    > locate some of these for you.

    And it looked a little like the tool bags they sell at Home Depot, Lowes ...

    no_name, Dec 16, 2005
  17. no_name Guest

    http://www.olive-drab.com/images/musette_bag_m1936_02.jpg

    no_name, Dec 16, 2005
  18. Per William Graham:
    >(Bicycle thieves never know anything about bikes.)

    Bad assumption.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 16, 2005
  19. Diamond Dave Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:22:27 GMT, "Jeremy" <> wrote:
    >"Robert C." <> wrote in message news:WCkof.4715
    >>
    >> I knew someone who carried his camera equipment in a women's makeup
    >> (vanity) case. Anyone who saw him carrying this would never suspect that
    >> there was camera equipment inside.
    >>

    >Diaper bags make excellent disguises.

    Most Army surplus stores should have military "document" bags that have a
    shoulder strap and sometimes dividers internally.

    Diamond Dave, Dec 16, 2005
  20. Guest

    I need a bag that will stand up, has a zip top, not a flapover and not
    a bike messenger bag (made of rigid, noisy, sporty cordura usually) at
    all.

    Canvas tool bag concept like the Duluth "Gear Bag" linked was a good
    close match. (
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/organizers/toolbags/35634.aspx )

    Are there canvas bags at Home Depot like that "Gear Bag"? Less than
    $50? That would really be cool. (I tried their website.)

    Thanks, JP

    , Dec 16, 2005