    Anyone have any tips?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tony
    Tony, Dec 31, 2003

  2. The operators manual is the best book currently available for the Canon EOS
    300D. It is too brief for most tastes, but if you study it carefully and
    take each sentence at its face value you will find most of the answers
    there.

    Alas nobody has written a good book for the 300D yet. It is too much camera
    for many buyers. The better the camera, the more skill it takes to use.
    The best bet for someone who is not a serious photographer is to stick with
    the basic modes.
    Philip Harris, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:07:56 -0500, "Philip Harris"
    <> wrote:

    >The best bet for someone who is not a serious photographer is to stick with
    >the basic modes.

    Thanks,

    how about a book just on digital photography that has sections on SLR
    cameras?

    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony, Dec 31, 2003
  4. The best overall book on digital photography that I've found is Digital
    Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang. It is a few years old, but quite
    up-to-date anyway.

    It is not specific to SLRs but is generally useful.

    There is definately a need for a book specific to the Canon 300D, and I
    expect one will turn up within a few months.

    If you'd like an excellent but perhaps too detailed study of flash
    photography using EOS cameras, try:

    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

    It's almost all about flash photos, but there are precious nuggets of other
    useful things there too.
    Philip Harris, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:18:21 -0500, "Philip Harris"
    <> wrote:

    >The best overall book on digital photography that I've found is Digital
    >Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang. It is a few years old, but quite
    >up-to-date anyway.

    Thanks Philip! :D
    Tony, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Tony

    PLB49 Guest

    >>The best overall book on digital photography that I've found is Digital
    >>Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang. It is a few years old, but quite
    >>up-to-date anyway

    I'm glad someone posted that--my copy's at school, and I couldn't remember the
    title (old-timer's disease)! It is EXCELLENT!

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz
    PLB49, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Tony

    peweg Guest

    Try www.123di.com
    Although not specific to the 300D, it's a very good intro to Digital
    photography. Also, www.outbackphoto.com publishes a number of ebooks.
    One is specific to the Digital Rebel, but is more workflow oriented.

    peweg, Dec 31, 2003
  8. "Philip Harris" <> writes:

    > The best overall book on digital photography that I've found is Digital
    > Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang. It is a few years old, but quite
    > up-to-date anyway.
    >
    > It is not specific to SLRs but is generally useful.
    >
    > There is definately a need for a book specific to the Canon 300D, and I
    > expect one will turn up within a few months.

    There is Dennis Curtain's book on the 300D/digital-rebel/KISS. I have his
    C-2100UZ book, and it was a little more detailed than the Olympus manual, but
    still I think by now, I've gone past it.

    http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canonrebel.htm

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Tony

    stanb Guest

    "Philip Harris" <> wrote in message

    > Alas nobody has written a good book for the 300D yet. It is too much

    camera
    > for many buyers. The better the camera, the more skill it takes to use.
    > The best bet for someone who is not a serious photographer is to stick

    with
    > the basic modes.....

    To start with, and read some books about using a SLR and general
    photography - these will introduce her to the theory behind the manual modes
    and give her some ideas about picture compostion, styles, subjects and so
    on -

    Another resouce is the net - there are many critiqing sites such as photo
    sig and photopoints and photography related forums such as Dpreview- while
    not everyones cup of tea they are a valuable resource from where she can get
    valuable feedback and advice about her photography from sites such as these

    Lastly encourage her to use the camera - The biggest advantages of digital
    is its ability to A)- give instant feedback, and B) allow inexpensive
    experimentation - so go out and try anything !

    stanb, Dec 31, 2003
  10. > There is Dennis Curtain's book on the 300D/digital-rebel/KISS.

    I looked at Curtain's 300D book in a store and didn't find any information
    that wasn't already in the 300D instruction manual.

    I look forward to somebody writing a book that shows "problem pictures" from
    the 300D and then gives shooting tips for avoiding those problems.

    For example every few days you read a posting on this newsgroup where
    someone laments, "I can't control the flash intensity on my 300D," although
    it is easily controlled using the flash exposure lock button.

    The 300D manual tells what every feature of the camera does, but doesn't
    always explain shooting sitcuations where the feature should be used.
    Curtain's book, I'm afraid, seemed little better about that.

    Many amateurs who move from point-and-shoot cameras up to the 300D just
    don't know enough about photography to understand what to do with all the
    buttons, dials and settings. It is too much camera for them, and so they
    need more of a "here, let's take a few pictures and look at the results"
    book.
    Philip Harris, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Tony

    Tony Guest

    thanks for the tips everyone. I ordered the Ang handbook from half.com
    for $27.98.

    Take care,
    Tony
    Tony, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Tony

    <> wrote:

    >The best overall book on digital photography that I've found is Digital
    >Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang. It is a few years old, but quite
    >up-to-date anyway.

    Just wanted to say we recieved the book that you suggested and are
    very excited about it. It's really not a handbook at all but more like
    a college text book.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Tony
    Tony, Jan 10, 2004