    haven't had much luck on the Microsoft Office webpage so I would like to ask
    if anyone knows where I can find one.
    Thank you.

    M, Jun 5, 2007

  2. M wrote:
    > I have to create a knowledge base for the proprietary software products that
    > my employer produces. I haven't used Access for many years but I think that
    > Access may be the best tool as all machines have Access 2003 installed. As
    > my Access skills are very rusty and this is needed quickly I think that to
    > start with a template or sample database would be the best way to go. I
    > haven't had much luck on the Microsoft Office webpage so I would like to ask
    > if anyone knows where I can find one.

    Access isn't for the rusty. If you want to program out a knowledgebase,
    don't be so lazy. Otherwise, you may only need a simple flat-file
    database that needs no thinking.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 5, 2007

  3. M

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 06:56:12 +0100, M wrote:

    >I have to create a knowledge base for the proprietary software products that
    >my employer produces. I haven't used Access for many years but I think that

    Then hire someone.

    >Access may be the best tool as all machines have Access 2003 installed. As

    Get past the 'think' stage and find something suitable.

    Rusty - Access or database skills? Access doesn't matter, having a
    crappy database does.

    >my Access skills are very rusty and this is needed quickly I think that to

    Go on a course or hire someone.

    >start with a template or sample database would be the best way to go. I

    What's a template going to do or a sample database. If neither are quite
    what you want. You need those rusty skills to make changes.

    >haven't had much luck on the Microsoft Office webpage so I would like to ask

    Have MS stopped shipping templates / sample databases with Office?

    >if anyone knows where I can find one.

    Database developer forums, Access / Office newsgroups.

    >Thank you.

    Me

    why?, Jun 5, 2007
  4. M

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-05, M <> wrote:
    > I have to create a knowledge base for the proprietary software products that
    > my employer produces. I haven't used Access for many years but I think that
    > Access may be the best tool as all machines have Access 2003 installed. As
    > my Access skills are very rusty and this is needed quickly I think that to
    > start with a template or sample database would be the best way to go. I
    > haven't had much luck on the Microsoft Office webpage so I would like to ask
    > if anyone knows where I can find one.
    > Thank you.

    Perhaps your employer needs an employee who can do the job, or to give you
    the time and resources you need for you to do it. Magic comes at a high
    price, and there are no short-cuts.

    Your first step is to identify the information that is required to go in,
    and then how it is to be extracted and analysed (ie what questions are
    going to be asked); or vice versa. Any software required is going to be
    what bridges that gap (and don't forget that printed or even hand-written
    paper can be just as effective as computer software, if not more so, in
    many situations; computers are not solutions for all problems).

    Good documentation is of course readily available and up-to-date for all
    your employer's products, isn't it? ...

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 5, 2007