Wanted cheap small 12v LCD screen

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by max, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. max

    max Guest

    Guys
    We need some help ...

    I have a mate off to Oz and he is using a laptop for mapping and tracking.

    Up till now he has just had his laptop mounted on a stand on the
    transmission hump, which works fine but .... since they are spending 3
    months in the vehicle they need a bit more room up front ....

    We have tried a DVD player type 7" screen using composite video and as a
    PC screen it was useless.....

    So what do we want:

    - VGA input
    - 10"-12" no bigger than 15"
    - 12v input or something other than 230v

    Any ideas, anyone ???

    Thanks

    Max

    max, Mar 7, 2008

  2. max

    sam Guest

    max wrote:
    > Guys
    > We need some help ...
    >
    > I have a mate off to Oz and he is using a laptop for mapping and tracking.
    >
    > Up till now he has just had his laptop mounted on a stand on the
    > transmission hump, which works fine but .... since they are spending 3
    > months in the vehicle they need a bit more room up front ....
    >
    > We have tried a DVD player type 7" screen using composite video and as a
    > PC screen it was useless.....
    >
    > So what do we want:
    >
    > - VGA input
    > - 10"-12" no bigger than 15"
    > - 12v input or something other than 230v
    >
    > Any ideas, anyone ???
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Max

    There are a few options here

    http://www.itx.co.nz/index.php?cPath=27

    sam, Mar 7, 2008

  3. max

    Tony Guest

    > Any ideas, anyone ???
    >
    > Thanks

    Cheap inverter ? Even the warehouse has them now.

    Tony, Mar 8, 2008
  4. max

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> Any ideas, anyone ???
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Cheap inverter ? Even the warehouse has them now.

    The ground loops and humm problems that come from a cheap inverter make
    me want to suggest looking for another solution.

    Richard, Mar 8, 2008
  5. On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:41:03 +1300, Tony <> wrote:

    >> Any ideas, anyone ???
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Cheap inverter ? Even the warehouse has them now.

    And not suitable for Digital equipment

    Brian Mathews, Mar 8, 2008
  6. max

    Richard Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > And not suitable for Digital equipment

    I would disagree with that, they are not suitable for anything with an
    analog connection - even USB has some issues when a laptops on an
    inverter and the USB device is grounded to the car, but nothing compared
    to the 10-15v of ac crap that you get on a groundloop on an analog audio
    interconnect.

    Digital devices tend to have switching power supplies which are happy as
    anything off a modified sinewave inverter, its devices with motors and
    transformers which are not, so you are more likly to have problems with
    something that is not "digital"

    Richard, Mar 9, 2008
  7. On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:45:16 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> And not suitable for Digital equipment

    >I would disagree with that, they are not suitable for anything with an
    >analog connection - even USB has some issues when a laptops on an
    >inverter and the USB device is grounded to the car, but nothing compared
    >to the 10-15v of ac crap that you get on a groundloop on an analog audio
    >interconnect.
    >
    >Digital devices tend to have switching power supplies which are happy as
    > anything off a modified sinewave inverter, its devices with motors and
    >transformers which are not, so you are more likly to have problems with
    >something that is not "digital"

    I think it was in a flyer the other day that these Inverters are not suitable for Digital
    equipment, the other thing thay produce is a lot of interference.

    Brian Mathews, Mar 9, 2008
  8. Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:45:16 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> And not suitable for Digital equipment

    >> I would disagree with that, they are not suitable for anything with an
    >> analog connection - even USB has some issues when a laptops on an
    >> inverter and the USB device is grounded to the car, but nothing compared
    >> to the 10-15v of ac crap that you get on a groundloop on an analog audio
    >> interconnect.
    >>
    >> Digital devices tend to have switching power supplies which are happy as
    >> anything off a modified sinewave inverter, its devices with motors and
    >> transformers which are not, so you are more likly to have problems with
    >> something that is not "digital"

    > I think it was in a flyer the other day that these Inverters are not suitable for Digital
    > equipment, the other thing thay produce is a lot of interference.

    I think that (supercheapauto?) flyer was talking about generators (which often
    have poor voltage regulation).

    I use a cheap inverter to run laptops etc in the car. It works fine except on
    radios, but they hate digital equipment and switch mode power supplies of all
    types.

    Mark Robinson, Mar 9, 2008