    They really need these old modems here .. because of Telecom's lines..
    we get connects of 9600 .. if everything works well...

    many thanks!
    DONOTREPLY, Nov 6, 2005

  2. DONOTREPLY wrote:
    > oh please,
    > if anyone has a PCMCIA modem 14k4 (or 28k8) .. even with broken
    > connectors
    > or without connectors, could you please email robbie on
    >
    > PHENA {at} gmx.net
    >
    > ?
    > They really need these old modems here .. because of Telecom's lines..
    > we get connects of 9600 .. if everything works well...
    >
    > many thanks!

    If you can manage to check your e-mail, you can almost certainly manage
    to look for responses here.

    You don't need a 14.4k or 28.8k PCMCIA modem, a newer one will do, you
    just need to specify some additional commands (there is a field to do
    this in Windows) to limit the speed to the desired maximum.

    Even here in Auckland I used to have to limit my speed to around 40k at
    most to get a reliable connection. During the brief time I used a Linux
    router, I used a 33k dialup modem in preference to a 56k one, but I
    could have just set the speed lower on the 56k if the IPCop/Smoothwall
    documentation told me how to do it.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Nov 6, 2005

  3. DONOTREPLY

    shannon Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > DONOTREPLY wrote:
    >> oh please,
    >> if anyone has a PCMCIA modem 14k4 (or 28k8) .. even with broken
    >> connectors
    >> or without connectors, could you please email robbie on
    >>
    >> PHENA {at} gmx.net
    >>
    >> ?
    >> They really need these old modems here .. because of Telecom's lines..
    >> we get connects of 9600 .. if everything works well...
    >>
    >> many thanks!

    > If you can manage to check your e-mail, you can almost certainly manage
    > to look for responses here.
    >
    > You don't need a 14.4k or 28.8k PCMCIA modem, a newer one will do, you
    > just need to specify some additional commands (there is a field to do
    > this in Windows) to limit the speed to the desired maximum.
    >
    > Even here in Auckland I used to have to limit my speed to around 40k at
    > most to get a reliable connection. During the brief time I used a Linux
    > router, I used a 33k dialup modem in preference to a 56k one, but I
    > could have just set the speed lower on the 56k if the IPCop/Smoothwall
    > documentation told me how to do it.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Its pretty much the same as Windows
    You edit the modem init strung in the web administration window in ipcop.
    To restrict to v34 add +MS=11,1 for a Rockwell modem or whatever the
    modem string should be like S38=0 for Lucent.
    shannon, Nov 7, 2005
  4. DONOTREPLY

    Fran Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> DONOTREPLY wrote:
    >>> oh please,
    >>> if anyone has a PCMCIA modem 14k4 (or 28k8) .. even with broken
    >>> connectors
    >>> or without connectors, could you please email robbie on
    >>>
    >>> PHENA {at} gmx.net
    >>>
    >>> ?
    >>> They really need these old modems here .. because of Telecom's lines..
    >>> we get connects of 9600 .. if everything works well...
    >>>
    >>> many thanks!

    >> If you can manage to check your e-mail, you can almost certainly manage
    >> to look for responses here.
    >>
    >> You don't need a 14.4k or 28.8k PCMCIA modem, a newer one will do, you
    >> just need to specify some additional commands (there is a field to do
    >> this in Windows) to limit the speed to the desired maximum.
    >>
    >> Even here in Auckland I used to have to limit my speed to around 40k at
    >> most to get a reliable connection. During the brief time I used a Linux
    >> router, I used a 33k dialup modem in preference to a 56k one, but I
    >> could have just set the speed lower on the 56k if the IPCop/Smoothwall
    >> documentation told me how to do it.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > Its pretty much the same as Windows
    > You edit the modem init strung in the web administration window in ipcop.
    > To restrict to v34 add +MS=11,1 for a Rockwell modem or whatever the
    > modem string should be like S38=0 for Lucent.

    Winmodems in general are not good in rural areas.
    Mainly they do not handle extra line noise as well as "proper" modems.
    Even using +ms=v34 or it's friends to slow the connection down.
    Throw an electric fence into the mix with bad lines and you end up looking
    for an old 33k6 or 28k8 external modem as opposed to one of the specific
    "rural" modems which work well but cost a fortune.

    These are situations where they dream about a reliable 28k8 connection.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 7, 2005