    or do I have to pay to download one?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005

  2. thing

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <42cdea41$>, thing <> wrote:

    > I thought Macs came with a dvd player? Can't find it....
    >
    > I tried vlc but that barfed and ran too slow anyway...
    >
    > I have not been able to find it on the install disk....to install
    > it...so it seems to be missing.
    >
    > So does 10.4 come with a dvd player or not?
    >
    > or do I have to pay to download one?

    10.4 comes with a DVD player, as has every system version since .. um ..
    9.0?

    In OSX it's in /Applications/DVD\ Player

    It's possible I suppose that if your computer doesn't have a DVD drive
    then it won't be installed.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 8, 2005

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <42cdea41$>, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>I thought Macs came with a dvd player? Can't find it....
    >>
    >>I tried vlc but that barfed and ran too slow anyway...
    >>
    >>I have not been able to find it on the install disk....to install
    >>it...so it seems to be missing.
    >>
    >>So does 10.4 come with a dvd player or not?
    >>
    >>or do I have to pay to download one?

    > 10.4 comes with a DVD player, as has every system version since .. um ..
    > 9.0?
    >
    > In OSX it's in /Applications/DVD\ Player
    >
    > It's possible I suppose that if your computer doesn't have a DVD drive
    > then it won't be installed.

    I kinda guessed this, interesting as 10.4 comes on dvd, so you are
    installing it by defination on a dvd player....except mine is a ext
    firewire unit.

    Guess I need to find a 3rd party one that works...

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <42cdea41$>, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>I thought Macs came with a dvd player? Can't find it....
    >>
    >>I tried vlc but that barfed and ran too slow anyway...
    >>
    >>I have not been able to find it on the install disk....to install
    >>it...so it seems to be missing.
    >>
    >>So does 10.4 come with a dvd player or not?
    >>
    >>or do I have to pay to download one?

    > 10.4 comes with a DVD player, as has every system version since .. um ..
    > 9.0?
    >
    > In OSX it's in /Applications/DVD\ Player
    >
    > It's possible I suppose that if your computer doesn't have a DVD drive
    > then it won't be installed.

    Just updated 10.4 and the dvd player appeared but its unable to find a
    dvd player.

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  5. In <42cdea41$> thing wrote:

    > I thought Macs came with a dvd player? Can't find it....
    >
    > I tried vlc but that barfed and ran too slow anyway...
    >
    > I have not been able to find it on the install disk....to install
    > it...so it seems to be missing.
    >
    > So does 10.4 come with a dvd player or not?
    >
    > or do I have to pay to download one?

    The OS comes with a DVD player, but it's only installed if a DVD-ROM
    drive is present during the OS installation. One theory is that it's a
    licensing issue, and this way Apple only has to pay the MPEG-2 license
    fees for each DVD drive they ship, rather than for each copy of the OS.

    You can use a program like Pacifist to install the Apple DVD player
    afterwards. Searching...OK, you might need to do more if you're using an
    external DVD drive.
    See here http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/Mac00013.htm

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 8, 2005
  6. thing

    Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <42cdea41$> thing wrote:
    >

    >>I thought Macs came with a dvd player? Can't find it....
    >>
    >>I tried vlc but that barfed and ran too slow anyway...
    >>
    >>I have not been able to find it on the install disk....to install
    >>it...so it seems to be missing.
    >>
    >>So does 10.4 come with a dvd player or not?
    >>
    >>or do I have to pay to download one?

    > The OS comes with a DVD player, but it's only installed if a DVD-ROM
    > drive is present during the OS installation. One theory is that it's a
    > licensing issue, and this way Apple only has to pay the MPEG-2 license
    > fees for each DVD drive they ship, rather than for each copy of the OS.

    In 10.4 I think it maybe a bug, when I did the install it did not see
    the dvd player which it installed off,

    when I upgraded/patched it did (though it still does not work).

    > You can use a program like Pacifist to install the Apple DVD player
    > afterwards. Searching...OK, you might need to do more if you're using an
    > external DVD drive.
    > See here http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/Mac00013.htm

    Neat thanks will have a go....

    regards