    I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    probably the biggest concern...

    recommendations please?

    thingy, Dec 18, 2006

  2. thingy

    Phil Guest

    thingy wrote, On 18/12/06 3.08 p:
    > I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    > probably the biggest concern...
    >
    > recommendations please?

    Cheap usually implies basic, which usually implies a longer battery life.

    So something like the Nokia 1101, which claims 300 hours standby?

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 18, 2006

  3. thingy

    David Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    > probably the biggest concern...
    >
    > recommendations please?

    Nokia 1100. Very cheap, bulletproof and has a handy LED flashlight.
    Doesn't look that bright during the day but its damn useful at night.
    Useful features include buzzer ringtones (those polyphonic ones sound
    too similar to a loud stereo so I noticed my flash phone ringing), a
    screen you can read just as clearly in full direct sunlight as at night,
    and the ability to send as many messages as you want without having to
    wait (like an email outbox, you just press send as much as you like and
    the phone sends them in the background as fast as it can. Very useful
    when you want to send something to a large group of people at once. It
    has distribution lists to let you do this quickly.)
    Battery lasts for 3 weeks on standby, slightly less if you make calls or
    send texts.

    David, Dec 18, 2006
  4. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    > probably the biggest concern...
    >
    > recommendations please?

    Nokia 1100 - virtually unbreakable, batterylife is good.

    Just dont plug in an old 2110 charger to it, that blows up its ability
    to charge.

    Richard, Dec 18, 2006
  5. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:44:04 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:

    > Utter Crap runs down the Battery and is a obsolete model.

    Woger; true to form...

    Abstract Reasoning, Dec 18, 2006
  6. thingy

    Blue Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:44:47 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:

    >>Nokia 1100 - virtually unbreakable, batterylife is good.

    > Crap Obsolete phone.

    Yep, it is only a phone, you know you call people and talk to them on it.

    Blue, Dec 18, 2006
  7. thingy

    Blue Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:23:56 +1300, Phil wrote:

    > thingy wrote, On 18/12/06 3.08 p:
    >> I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >> probably the biggest concern...
    >>
    >> recommendations please?

    > Cheap usually implies basic, which usually implies a longer battery life.
    >
    > So something like the Nokia 1101, which claims 300 hours standby?

    It would do that too. 12.5 days not the 21 suggested by another poster
    unless you can get a bigger battery. Will get less as battery ages.

    Blue, Dec 18, 2006
  8. thingy

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Dec 18, 2006
  9. thingy

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Dec 18, 2006
  10. thingy

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:08:48 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >probably the biggest concern...
    >
    >recommendations please?

    What Provider..?

    Mathew Good, Dec 18, 2006
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:08:48 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >> probably the biggest concern...
    >>
    >> recommendations please?

    > What Provider..?

    vodafone pre-pay

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
  12. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Blue wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:44:47 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:
    >
    >>> Nokia 1100 - virtually unbreakable, batterylife is good.

    >> Crap Obsolete phone.

    > Yep, it is only a phone, you know you call people and talk to them on it.

    yes exactly....obsolete....well so am I

    ;]

    Three things in its favour,

    Long battery life
    cheap
    obsolete ~ so people know if it is weak or not, reputation,....seems ppl
    think its a tough little thing....sounds like its for me...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
  13. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > thingy wrote, On 18/12/06 3.08 p:
    >> I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >> probably the biggest concern...
    >>
    >> recommendations please?

    > Cheap usually implies basic, which usually implies a longer battery life.
    >
    > So something like the Nokia 1101, which claims 300 hours standby?
    >
    > -Phil

    yep, $89 at dse....

    thanks....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
  14. thingy

    steve Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    > probably the biggest concern...
    >
    > recommendations please?

    Vodafone
    Nokia 1100.
    $99

    I have one.

    Love it. Simple, cheap and long battery life.

    steve, Dec 18, 2006
  15. In message <45864c8b$>, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Blue wrote:

    >Three things in its favour,
    >
    >Long battery life
    >cheap
    >obsolete ~ so people know if it is weak or not, reputation,....seems ppl
    >think its a tough little thing....sounds like its for me...

    Recently replaced by the Nokia 1110i, which has a 4-way navigation key
    instead of the up-down one on the 1100. Not sure what the 'i' stands
    for - probably more data capability. Otherwise much the same beast,
    AFAICT. RRP ~$99, specialed recently at Harvey Norman (and probably
    elsewhere) for $89 with SIM. I think I heard that Lemmings has it for
    $49 for Christmas?

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 18, 2006
  16. thingy

    Richard Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:49:35 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >>> probably the biggest concern...
    >>>
    >>> recommendations please?

    >> Nokia 1100 - virtually unbreakable, batterylife is good.

    > Crap Obsolete phone.

    Sorry, the replacement the 1110 has that stupid 4 way key and the
    red/green buttons and replace clear with a softkey which changes, making
    is as much a pain to use as the higherspec nokias.

    I am never getting a phone with a 4 way key again, and I cant stand
    using the nokias with the seperate red and green keys which are seperate
    from the softkeys.

    Richard, Dec 18, 2006
  17. thingy

    Richard Guest

    What the **** are you on about?

    Richard, Dec 18, 2006
  18. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Blue wrote:

    > > > Crap Obsolete phone.

    > > Yep, it is only a phone, you know you call people and talk to them
    > > on it.

    > yes exactly....obsolete....well so am I
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > Three things in its favour,
    >
    > Long battery life
    > cheap
    > obsolete ~ so people know if it is weak or not, reputation,....seems
    > ppl think its a tough little thing....sounds like its for me...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I've had two of them now (don't ask) and find them to be excellent. Just
    dropped my current one out of my pocket onto concrete the other day (got it
    tangled in my keys), no problems other than a scratch or two.

    The new model (1110i) is very similar so it should be a safe bet too.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2006
  19. thingy

    thingy Guest

    steve wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> I just want it for an emergency standby so a long standby life is
    >> probably the biggest concern...
    >>
    >> recommendations please?

    > Vodafone
    > Nokia 1100.
    > $99
    >
    > I have one.
    >
    > Love it. Simple, cheap and long battery life.

    My only issue is it is 103mm long when my water proof case is
    101mm....so it may or may not fit....but cheap, tough, simple, long
    battery life, pre-pay suits me perfectly....if nothing else it can
    become a kids first mobile later on...

    Thanks to all

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
  20. thingy

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:09:43 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >Blue wrote:

    >>> Crap Obsolete phone.

    >> Yep, it is only a phone, you know you call people and talk to them on it.
    >>

    >yes exactly....obsolete....well so am I
    >
    >;]
    >
    >Three things in its favour,
    >
    >Long battery life

    No the Led lamp drains the battery as it is very easy to turn on..

    No way to disable it.

    My Wife's phone has now been sent to the Philippians

    Has a Moto V360 now.

    >cheap
    >obsolete ~ so people know if it is weak or not, reputation,....seems ppl
    >think its a tough little thing....sounds like its for me...

    Its now been updated to the 1110i from memory, no stupid torch.

    Mathew Good, Dec 18, 2006