Wanted: 256MB stick of DDR RAM.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it last night but I can't see it in
    nz.wanted. Crossposted to nz.comp this time)

    Hey there,

    Anyone got a stick of DDR lying around that they're not using? The FSB is
    only at 133 (Duron Applebred 1.6GHz) so PC2100 will do. I've given all my
    small sticks away as I've upgraded and now I find myself in need of
    increasing the RAM in this machine (from 256MB, a bit slow for XP) I find
    I have none lying around and it's crazy expensive new (at least if you had
    my
    budget). I'll have to curb that generous streak in future.

    I can be reached on misfitnz at gmail dot com and would appreciate hearing
    from someone who has some lying around and doesn't want an arm and a leg for
    it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:37:29 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >(Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it last night but I can't see it in
    >nz.wanted. Crossposted to nz.comp this time)
    >
    >Hey there,
    >
    >Anyone got a stick of DDR lying around that they're not using? The FSB is
    >only at 133 (Duron Applebred 1.6GHz) so PC2100 will do. I've given all my
    >small sticks away as I've upgraded and now I find myself in need of
    >increasing the RAM in this machine (from 256MB, a bit slow for XP) I find
    >I have none lying around and it's crazy expensive new (at least if you had
    >my
    >budget). I'll have to curb that generous streak in future.
    >
    >I can be reached on misfitnz at gmail dot com and would appreciate hearing
    >from someone who has some lying around and doesn't want an arm and a leg for
    >it.

    Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for $25, $45
    for 512MB. Is that expensive?
    Nighthawk, Oct 14, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Nighthawk <> wrote in

    > Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for $25, $45
    > for 512MB. Is that expensive?

    It might downclock, but asking PC3200 to downclock to 2100 is something the
    ram seller would know (or should). I have had 3200 go down to 2700 with no
    problems but all the way down to 2100? I have never tried it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 14, 2007
  4. On 14 Oct 2007 20:17:58 +1300, Dave Taylor <>
    wrote in <news:Xns99C9CE8814E84daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>:

    > Nighthawk <> wrote in
    >
    >> Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for $25, $45
    >> for 512MB. Is that expensive?

    > It might downclock, but asking PC3200 to downclock to 2100 is something the
    > ram seller would know (or should). I have had 3200 go down to 2700 with no
    > problems but all the way down to 2100? I have never tried it.

    I have exactly what the OP wants and have asked him to E-Mail me. He has
    not yet done so. It's up to him - I'm not going to beg.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Smart men solve problems. Wise men avoid them.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 14, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > On 14 Oct 2007 20:17:58 +1300, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote in
    >
    > > Nighthawk <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for
    > > > $25, $45 for 512MB. Is that expensive?

    > > It might downclock, but asking PC3200 to downclock to 2100 is
    > > something the ram seller would know (or should). I have had 3200
    > > go down to 2700 with no problems but all the way down to 2100? I
    > > have never tried it.

    > I have exactly what the OP wants and have asked him to E-Mail me. He
    > has not yet done so. It's up to him - I'm not going to beg.

    Eeep! Really? There must be something wrong with OE since my re-install, I
    posted to nz.wanted, haven't seen it (or any other posts) there. I shall
    email you, no need to beg. :)
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:37:29 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it last night but I can't
    > > see it in nz.wanted. Crossposted to nz.comp this time)
    > >
    > > Hey there,
    > >
    > > Anyone got a stick of DDR lying around that they're not using? The
    > > FSB is only at 133 (Duron Applebred 1.6GHz) so PC2100 will do. I've
    > > given all my small sticks away as I've upgraded and now I find
    > > myself in need of increasing the RAM in this machine (from 256MB, a
    > > bit slow for XP) I find
    > > I have none lying around and it's crazy expensive new (at least if
    > > you had my
    > > budget). I'll have to curb that generous streak in future.
    > >
    > > I can be reached on misfitnz at gmail dot com and would appreciate
    > > hearing from someone who has some lying around and doesn't want an
    > > arm and a leg for it.
    > >

    > Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for $25, $45
    > for 512MB. Is that expensive?

    Hmm. No that's not /crazy/ expensive. I haven't had much to do with TasTech,
    might have to add them to my list of sites that I check regularly.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Dave Taylor" typed:
    > Nighthawk <> wrote in
    >
    > > Wouldn't a stick of PC3200 do? TasTech have 256MB sticks for $25,
    > > $45 for 512MB. Is that expensive?

    > It might downclock, but asking PC3200 to downclock to 2100 is
    > something the ram seller would know (or should). I have had 3200 go
    > down to 2700 with no problems but all the way down to 2100? I have
    > never tried it.

    It would downclock just fine. Faster RAM will always run at a slower speed.
    In fact the 256MB that the machine's currently running is PC3200 running at
    PC2100 speed.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007
  8. On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:52:54 +1300, ~misfit~
    <> wrote in

    > Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    >> On 14 Oct 2007 20:17:58 +1300, Dave Taylor
    >> <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Nighthawk <> wrote in

    >>> It might downclock, but asking PC3200 to downclock to 2100 is
    >>> something the ram seller would know (or should). I have had 3200
    >>> go down to 2700 with no problems but all the way down to 2100? I
    >>> have never tried it.

    >> I have exactly what the OP wants and have asked him to E-Mail me. He
    >> has not yet done so. It's up to him - I'm not going to beg.

    > Eeep! Really? There must be something wrong with OE since my re-install, I
    > posted to nz.wanted, haven't seen it (or any other posts) there. I shall
    > email you, no need to beg. :)

    Your E-Mail received - and replied to.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Far better to regret not having done some things, than to regret some
    of the things you have done.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 14, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:52:54 +1300, ~misfit~
    > <> wrote in
    >
    > > Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > > > On 14 Oct 2007 20:17:58 +1300, Dave Taylor
    > > > <> wrote in

    > > > I have exactly what the OP wants and have asked him to E-Mail me.
    > > > He has not yet done so. It's up to him - I'm not going to beg.

    > > Eeep! Really? There must be something wrong with OE since my
    > > re-install, I posted to nz.wanted, haven't seen it (or any other
    > > posts) there. I shall email you, no need to beg. :)

    > Your E-Mail received - and replied to.

    Likewise. :) Thanks Nicolaas, nice to "meet" you off-group.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2007
  10. On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:33:46 +1300, ~misfit~
    <> wrote in

    > Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    >> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:52:54 +1300, ~misfit~
    >> <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on the interweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:

    >>> Eeep! Really? There must be something wrong with OE since my
    >>> re-install, I posted to nz.wanted, haven't seen it (or any other
    >>> posts) there. I shall email you, no need to beg. :)

    >> Your E-Mail received - and replied to.

    > Likewise. :) Thanks Nicolaas, nice to "meet" you off-group.

    Hey, watch it! You are the THIRD peson to say that. I'll be getting a
    swelled head.

    Look for mail maybe Saturday, maybe early next week.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... Shoes - Buy One, Get One Free!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 15, 2007