Want to use old computer for IIS, .NET and SQL Server testing at work - what's a good setup?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gummy, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    Hello All,

    I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop for
    learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up I am not
    messing with my basic work machine.

    I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
    understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is on
    the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at some point
    so people could access the internal site I build.

    What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. to
    have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of hub?

    Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Rob
    Gummy, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Gummy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Gummy" <> wrote in

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop
    > for learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up
    > I am not messing with my basic work machine.
    >
    > I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
    > understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is
    > on the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at
    > some point so people could access the internal site I build.

    > What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc.
    > to have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of
    > hub?

    You should get your self a NAT router to protect the Web Server such as
    IIS.

    > Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    You should get yourself a NAT router to protect the Web Server such as
    IIS. They cannot come past the NAT router unless you open port 80 to the
    public Internet by port forwarding port 80 to the Web Server.

    It does take some security knowledge to properly setup the O/S, registry,
    file system, user accounts, and IIS properly when exposing the Web server
    to the public Internet, otherwise, I see *hacked* in your future.
    However, there a plenty of links out on the Internet on how to setup the
    security to protect the machine that is exposing IIS to the public
    Internet.

    You can develop your .Net applications and then upload the software to a
    Web Service provider to expose the .Net application to the public
    Internet without trying to expose your Web server and having it hacked to
    death, because security is not properly setup on the machine for IIS or
    the network in general. The Web Service providers are cheap and secure.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Gummy

    Dodo Guest

    IIS does not broadcast anything. Windows will broadcast if NetBIOS is turned
    on.
    Dodo, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Gummy

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:44:48 -0500, Gummy wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I just got a new laptop at work. I would like to use my old desktop for
    >learning about .NET and SQL Server. That way if I mess anything up I am not
    >messing with my basic work machine.
    >
    >I don't want the testing machine on the network (right now). My
    >understanding that IIS will be "broadcasting" that the test machine is on

    That's a new one. It's not IIS, any system will appear in the browser
    list unless it's configured not to.

    Any machine can be tested to see if it's offering web servers.

    >the network. But the possibility does exist that I may want it at some point
    >so people could access the internal site I build.

    Then go with the member of current domain / workgroup it's easier to do
    that now rather then change system security later. Also use the IIS/NT
    User / Group rights to setup / deny access to IIS sites.

    IIS can also grant/deny based on IP addresses globally or single or
    ranges.

    >What is the best way, short of another keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. to
    >have access to this test machine? A direct USB link? Some sort of hub?

    Use a KVM, and connect to same network as laptop.

    >Both machines are running Windows 2000 Professional.
    >
    >Thanks for the help.
    >
    >-Rob

    Me
    why?, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    THanks for the information.

    What is a KVM?

    Gummy, Nov 22, 2004
  6. Gummy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Gummy" <> wrote in

    > THanks for the information.
    >
    > What is a KVM?

    It's a switch that allows a single monitor, keyborad and mouse to be used
    by more than one computer. I use a Belkin KMV to switch between my Windows
    and Linux computers at home. They have one in the programmer's testing/
    build room that controls 8 servers with one monitor, keyboard and mouse
    while you're in the room.If you're not in the room then one can connect to
    a machine using PCanywhere or Netmeeting RDS.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Gummy

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:59:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:

    >"Gummy" <> wrote in
    >
    >> THanks for the information.
    >>
    >> What is a KVM?
    >>

    >It's a switch that allows a single monitor, keyborad and mouse to be used
    >by more than one computer. I use a Belkin KMV to switch between my Windows
    >and Linux computers at home. They have one in the programmer's testing/

    <snip>

    Thanks for picking up the answer to that, I went out for a while.

    Me
    why?, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Gummy

    Dodo Guest

    A KVM Switch won't do you any good with a laptop. The best solution is to
    use XP Pro on the server and create a network between the two machines with
    ethernet crossover or ad-hoc wireless. Use automatic private addressing and
    NetBIOS for name resolution. You can access the server machine over the
    network using RDP and it won't require a keyboard, mouse, monitor or video
    card.
    Dodo, Nov 22, 2004