Want to upgarde 80486 or Sale/Exchange

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thaqalain, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    Main Processor: 80486
    Numeric Processor: Present
    A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    Dec11/1991
    ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    Base Memory: 640KB
    Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
    Hard Disk D: None
    Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    Parallel Port(s): 378

    When I make it on showing follwoing:
    Segate Technology
    Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95

    Starting Ontrack
    Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
    (Note:I don't have any)

    I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
    installation but of no success.Need help.
    Is this system can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment.
    Is there any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off.
    Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

    Thaqalain, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Thaqalain

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Throw it away or give it to someone you don't know.

    pcbutts1, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Thaqalain

    Plato Guest

    Thaqalain wrote:

    > I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    > Main Processor: 80486
    > Numeric Processor: Present
    > A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    > B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    > Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    > ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

    It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
    apps.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Thaqalain

    pengulin Guest

    You added a hard drive. Recently?
    If it's anything over 10 GB, yank it out.

    pengulin, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Thaqalain

    farseer Guest

    if you have some hobby that can use that processor, good. otherwise
    it's not really worth much at all...i'd just dump it or make it into
    jewelry.

    farseer, Jun 27, 2005
  6. Thaqalain wrote:
    > Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

    I have some too if you want em
    2-286
    5-386
    7-486
    got 2 IBMs with 75mz and 100mz and a compaq laptop 25mz with win95 too
    -max

    What's in a Name?, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Thaqalain

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:22:31 GMT, "pcbutts1" <> wrote:

    >Throw it away or give it to someone you don't know.

    I have a 486 system I am willing to give away.

    >--
    >

    >The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    >NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    >See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    >Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    >

    >"Thaqalain" <> wrote in message
    >>I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    >> Main Processor: 80486
    >> Numeric Processor: Present
    >> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    >> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    >> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    >> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    >> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    >> Dec11/1991
    >> ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    >> Base Memory: 640KB
    >> Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    >> Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
    >> Hard Disk D: None
    >> Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    >> Parallel Port(s): 378
    >>
    >> When I make it on showing follwoing:
    >> Segate Technology
    >> Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    >> Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
    >>
    >> Starting Ontrack
    >> Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
    >> (Note:I don't have any)
    >>
    >> I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
    >> installation but of no success.Need help.
    >> Is this system can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment.
    >> Is there any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off.
    >> Is there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Thaqalain

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 27 Jun 2005 12:43:03 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Thaqalain wrote:
    >>
    >> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    >> Main Processor: 80486
    >> Numeric Processor: Present
    >> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    >> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    >> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    >> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

    >It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
    >apps.

    It would run Windows 95B easily.

    >--
    >http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Thaqalain

    Guest

    On "Thaqalain" <> wrote:

    |>I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    |>Main Processor: 80486
    |>Numeric Processor: Present
    |>A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    |>B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    |>Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    |>ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    |> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    |> Dec11/1991
    |>ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    |>Base Memory: 640KB
    |>Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    |>Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB
    |>Hard Disk D: None
    |>Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    |>Parallel Port(s): 378
    |>
    |>When I make it on showing follwoing:
    |>Segate Technology
    |>Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    |>Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
    |>
    |>Starting Ontrack
    |>Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette
    |>(Note:I don't have any)

    Try Max Blast http://tinyurl.com/8t6w9 to remove ontrack and install
    the Maxtor overlay.

    --
    http://watleyreview.com/2005/062105-1.html

    , Jun 28, 2005
  10. Thaqalain

    Plato Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > >> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs:
    > >> Main Processor: 80486
    > >> Numeric Processor: Present
    > >> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    > >> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    > >> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    > >> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc

    > >It's not worth the trouble. It wont be able to handle any new os or
    > >apps.

    > It would run Windows 95B easily.

    That's why I said apps also. The first thing that will happen if you go
    and sell it or give it away to a buddy is he'll install the latest AOL
    and toast it.

    Plato, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Thaqalain

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:15:39 -0700, Thaqalain wrote:

    > I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs: Main Processor:
    > 80486
    > Numeric Processor: Present
    > A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    > B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    > Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    > ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    > A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    > Dec11/1991
    > ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    > Base Memory: 640KB
    > Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    > Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB Hard Disk D: None
    > Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    > Parallel Port(s): 378
    >
    > When I make it on showing follwoing:
    > Segate Technology
    > Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    > Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
    >
    > Starting Ontrack
    > Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette (Note:I don't have any)
    >
    > I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
    > installation but of no success.Need help. Is this system can be upgarded
    > to work in Windows 98/XP environment. Is there any part I can keep for
    > future use before disposing it off. Is there any shop I can exchange/sale
    > it.

    Fill it with drit and plant some pretty flowers in it.

    Meat Plow, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Thaqalain

    MrKrabbs Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:15:39 -0700, Thaqalain wrote:
    >
    >> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs: Main Processor:
    >> 80486
    >> Numeric Processor: Present
    >> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    >> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    >> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    >> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    >> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    >> Dec11/1991
    >> ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    >> Base Memory: 640KB
    >> Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    >> Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB Hard Disk D: None
    >> Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    >> Parallel Port(s): 378
    >>
    >> When I make it on showing follwoing:
    >> Segate Technology
    >> Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    >> Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
    >>
    >> Starting Ontrack
    >> Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette (Note:I don't have any)
    >>
    >> I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for windows
    >> installation but of no success.Need help. Is this system can be upgarded
    >> to work in Windows 98/XP environment. Is there any part I can keep for
    >> future use before disposing it off. Is there any shop I can exchange/sale
    >> it.

    > Fill it with drit and plant some pretty flowers in it.

    I say put all sorts of LED's on it and set it out at night as an UFO landing
    pad.

    MrKrabbs, Jun 29, 2005
  13. Thaqalain

    Top Guest

    "MrKrabbs" <> wrote in

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:15:39 -0700, Thaqalain wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to restore a old CPU,having following specs: Main
    >>> Processor: 80486
    >>> Numeric Processor: Present
    >>> A: 1.44 MB,3.5"
    >>> B: 1.2MB,5.5"
    >>> Display Type: VGA/PGA/EGA
    >>> ROM BIOS(C): 1990 American Megatrends Inc
    >>> A420/25/33C-C01(491C)
    >>> Dec11/1991
    >>> ROM BIOS Date: 07/07/91
    >>> Base Memory: 640KB
    >>> Ext. Memory Size: 7168KB
    >>> Hard Disk C: Type 47,Size 1034MB Hard Disk D:
    >>> None Serial Ports: 3F8,2F8
    >>> Parallel Port(s): 378
    >>>
    >>> When I make it on showing follwoing:
    >>> Segate Technology
    >>> Dynamic Drive Overlay V7.11
    >>> Copy Right:Ontrack Computer System 1993-95
    >>>
    >>> Starting Ontrack
    >>> Press Spacebar to to boot from diskette (Note:I don't have any)
    >>>
    >>> I have installed another HD,and installed a new CD ROM for
    >>> windows installation but of no success.Need help. Is this system
    >>> can be upgarded to work in Windows 98/XP environment. Is there
    >>> any part I can keep for future use before disposing it off. Is
    >>> there any shop I can exchange/sale it.

    >> Fill it with drit and plant some pretty flowers in it.

    > I say put all sorts of LED's on it and set it out at night as an
    > UFO landing pad.

    Turn it into a bug zapper with LEDs?

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top, Jun 29, 2005
  14. Thaqalain

    Scraggy Guest

    Top wrote:
    > "MrKrabbs" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Fill it with drit and plant some pretty flowers in it.

    >> I say put all sorts of LED's on it and set it out at night as an
    >> UFO landing pad.
    >>

    > Turn it into a bug zapper with LEDs?

    http://www.boingboing.net/images/habicase.jpg
    members. Groucho Marx