Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys,

    I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    till now.

    My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.

    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    way to include \ in a name?

    Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Boppy, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <14cfe52f-a558-40af-a6c1-728364836e63
    @v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    > set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    > till now.
    >
    > My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    > I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    > wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    > the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    > way to include \ in a name?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?

    So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 9, 2010

  3. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <14cfe52f-a558-40af-a6c1-728364836e63
    > @v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > >
    > > Hi guys,
    > >
    > > I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    > > set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    > > till now.
    > >
    > > My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    > > I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    > > wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    > > the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    > > way to include \ in a name?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    > Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?
    >
    > So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    eg.
    \\server1\mp3

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 9, 2010
  4. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with\

    On Aug 9, 4:24 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > says...
    >

    > > In article <14cfe52f-a558-40af-a6c1-728364836e63
    > > @v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Hi guys,

    > > > I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    > > > set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    > > > till now.

    > > > My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    > > > I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    > > > wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    > > > the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.

    > > > Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    > > > way to include \ in a name?

    > > > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    > > Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?

    > > So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    > eg.
    > \\server1\mp3
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    Thanks Duncan, would you mind clarifying? Where wouId I type that?
    The sync software won't select any folder whose name does not start
    with \.
    I have tried going to Device Options to change the settings to make my
    removable disk become a drive, but only the phone shows up, not the
    removable storage.

    Boppy, Aug 9, 2010
  5. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

    In article <bbc31594-938a-43f3-8bdd-
    >,
    says...

    > On Aug 9, 4:24 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >

    > > > In article <14cfe52f-a558-40af-a6c1-728364836e63
    > > > @v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?

    > > > So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    > > eg.
    > > \\server1\mp3
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > Thanks Duncan, would you mind clarifying? Where wouId I type that?
    > The sync software won't select any folder whose name does not start
    > with \.
    > I have tried going to Device Options to change the settings to make my
    > removable disk become a drive, but only the phone shows up, not the
    > removable storage.

    Sorry, kinda misread yer post. You could sync up with pretty much any
    std mp3 type app (Windows Media player, Winamp etc etc). But iTunes?
    If it doesn't support the phone, then that's about it.

    If you have third party iIunes s/w - and it used to work on your old
    phone, but doesn't on the new - well, that's about it too.

    A workaround is convert yer iTunes library to non-proprietory format (eg
    mp3). PITA - initially timewise, and keeping new stuff in sync (in mp3
    format).

    I don't know of any third party iTunes s/w that may enable what you
    want.

    There is a Norwegian or Icelandic dude? - that wrote a free iTunes
    equivalent - pretty sure it doesn't restrict you to the proprietory
    iTunes format too.

    Trade down to an iPhone ? :)

    (Window Mobile (Exchange Server) support on the iPhone seems to me to be
    not quite as featured as the HTC (if you move off live/push syncing to a
    schedule) I also find it much easier to do stuff w' Windows Mobile on
    the HTC - that said, I don't own either, just setup a few of 'em for
    folk (Windows Mobile part only really). And does anyone know how you
    activate caps-lock on a fuken iPhone?).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  6. Boppy

    Another Me Guest

    On 10/08/10 2:36 PM, Dave Doe wrote:

    > A workaround is convert yer iTunes library to non-proprietory format (eg
    > mp3). PITA - initially timewise, and keeping new stuff in sync (in mp3
    > format).

    iTunes supports MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. He won't be using Apple
    Lossless (as he said he was using an iRiver), so why do you thing AAC is
    proprietory?

    Another Me, Aug 10, 2010
  7. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

    In article <i3qfu5$4nf$>,
    says...

    > On 10/08/10 2:36 PM, Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > A workaround is convert yer iTunes library to non-proprietory format (eg
    > > mp3). PITA - initially timewise, and keeping new stuff in sync (in mp3
    > > format).

    > iTunes supports MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. He won't be using Apple
    > Lossless (as he said he was using an iRiver), so why do you thing AAC is
    > proprietory?

    Dunno, just assumed it was - I've never used iTunes. If that's the
    case, then perhaps Boppy can just ditch iTunes and use some other s/w
    and sync to the HTC, as it sounds to me that iTunes doesn't support it.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  8. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <i3qfu5$4nf$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > On 10/08/10 2:36 PM, Dave Doe wrote:
    > >
    > > > A workaround is convert yer iTunes library to non-proprietory format (eg
    > > > mp3). PITA - initially timewise, and keeping new stuff in sync (in mp3
    > > > format).

    > > iTunes supports MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. He won't be using Apple
    > > Lossless (as he said he was using an iRiver), so why do you thing AAC is
    > > proprietory?

    > Dunno, just assumed it was - I've never used iTunes. If that's the
    > case, then perhaps Boppy can just ditch iTunes and use some other s/w
    > and sync to the HTC, as it sounds to me that iTunes doesn't support it.

    I should add, that it's not so much of a file format issue, as it is
    really an iTunes issue. eg. how do you get an iTunes library into
    another media player. They seem to have proprietory stuff throughout
    iTunes with the intention of capturing you in there.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  9. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

    In article <bbc31594-938a-43f3-8bdd-
    >,
    says...

    > On Aug 9, 4:24 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >

    > > > In article <14cfe52f-a558-40af-a6c1-728364836e63
    > > > @v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?

    > > > So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    > > eg.
    > > \\server1\mp3
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan.

    > Thanks Duncan, would you mind clarifying? Where wouId I type that?
    > The sync software won't select any folder whose name does not start
    > with \.
    > I have tried going to Device Options to change the settings to make my
    > removable disk become a drive, but only the phone shows up, not the
    > removable storage.

    Oh, I found the email I sent to a dude w' an HTC who had the same
    problem as you - and this is what we used (was a wee while back and
    couldn't recall the name of the s/w from the Norwegain/Icelandic dude,
    or wherever he was from) ...

    http://www.doubletwist.com/

    Pretty sure he had no probs reading his iTunes up and converting it all,
    into double-twist (sorry, never used it myself - have a looksee).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  10. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <bbc31594-938a-43f3-8bdd-
    > >,
    > says...
    > >
    > > On Aug 9, 4:24 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > > says...

    > > > eg.
    > > > \\server1\mp3
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Duncan.

    > > Thanks Duncan, would you mind clarifying? Where wouId I type that?
    > > The sync software won't select any folder whose name does not start
    > > with \.
    > > I have tried going to Device Options to change the settings to make my
    > > removable disk become a drive, but only the phone shows up, not the
    > > removable storage.

    > Oh, I found the email I sent to a dude w' an HTC who had the same
    > problem as you - and this is what we used (was a wee while back and
    > couldn't recall the name of the s/w from the Norwegain/Icelandic dude,
    > or wherever he was from) ...
    >
    > http://www.doubletwist.com/
    >
    > Pretty sure he had no probs reading his iTunes up and converting it all,
    > into double-twist (sorry, never used it myself - have a looksee).

    And I also note in the email he has a Touch Pro 2, not Touch 2 - my bad.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  11. Boppy

    Another Me Guest

    On 10/08/10 3:24 PM, Dave Doe wrote:

    >> Dunno, just assumed it was - I've never used iTunes. If that's the
    >> case, then perhaps Boppy can just ditch iTunes and use some other s/w
    >> and sync to the HTC, as it sounds to me that iTunes doesn't support it.

    > I should add, that it's not so much of a file format issue, as it is
    > really an iTunes issue. eg. how do you get an iTunes library into
    > another media player. They seem to have proprietory stuff throughout
    > iTunes with the intention of capturing you in there.

    Just get another piece of software and import the music to it. iTunes
    has its own library, but the music is stored in a standard format (AAC
    or MP3) which are both read by a number of devices and software.

    Another Me, Aug 10, 2010
  12. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Aug 9, 2:58 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    > set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    > till now.
    >
    > My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    > I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    > wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    > the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    > way to include \ in a name?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Thanks for replies, folks.
    What I have discovered is that I can use Itunes Sync (a free download)
    to sync to my external storage card if I insert it in my camera card
    reader. Not as nice as syncing directly to an ipod but nearly. Faster
    than syncing to my iriver too.
    Cheers,

    Boppy, Aug 13, 2010