    use to avoid having to physically change the jumpers over?
    Thanks
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Mac Lynch

    10_4 Guest

    No!

    10_4, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Mac Lynch

    Kenny Guest

    Yes! lol... that other person posting is too negative...

    If your hard drives have CABLE SELECT then use that, and who is master and
    who is slave is dependant only on the placement they have on the IDE cable.
    Then get 2 HDD removable trays for your hard disks so you can take them out
    and exchange their places

    take a look here to see what kind of hdd racks I am talking about, these
    have a handle and you just slide the HDD out and you can carry it with you..
    very practical!

    http://www.computergate.com/products/category.cfm?prodseq=J5

    Kenny

    www.computerboom.net

    --
    Kenfucious said:

    Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

    The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
    if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
    of view, is just a point a view and not something real.

    Kenny, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Mac Lynch

    BIG NIGE Guest

    Alternativly you could always wire a changeover switch to the jumper pins -
    then you only need to turn the switch.

    BIG NIGE, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Mac Lynch

    Kenny Guest

    NOTE: Change the switch with the PC off!

    Kenny, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Mac Lynch

    Mac Lynch Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, says...

    >NOTE: Change the switch with the PC off!
    >
    >--
    >Kenfucious said:
    >
    >Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
    >
    >The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
    >if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
    >of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
    >"BIG NIGE" <> wrote in message
    >> Alternativly you could always wire a changeover switch to the jumper
    >> pins -
    >> then you only need to turn the switch.
    >>
    >> "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes! lol... that other person posting is too negative...
    >>>
    >>> If your hard drives have CABLE SELECT then use that, and who is master
    >>> and
    >>> who is slave is dependant only on the placement they have on the IDE

    >> cable.
    >>> Then get 2 HDD removable trays for your hard disks so you can take them

    >> out
    >>> and exchange their places
    >>>
    >>> take a look here to see what kind of hdd racks I am talking about, these
    >>> have a handle and you just slide the HDD out and you can carry it with

    >> you..
    >>> very practical!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computergate.com/products/category.cfm?prodseq=J5
    >>>

    >>> Kenny
    >>>
    >>> www.computerboom.net
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Kenfucious said:
    >>>
    >>> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
    >>>
    >>> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,

    >> since
    >>> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a

    >> point
    >>> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
    >>> "Mac Lynch" <> wrote in message

    >> M/B.

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    This gives me something to work on.

    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Mac Lynch

    10_4 Guest

    Sorry to sound negative but I don't think a direct answer to the actual
    question is negative. But to each his own!

    The question was, "Is there a method either in the CMOS or Windows XP
    configuration that I can use to avoid having to physically change the
    jumpers over?" The answer is still "no". There are other ways to work
    around this but that was not the question!

    There were some good answers to side step it but some mobos don't work well
    with Cable Select and if they do you still have to open the system and
    change cable routing. Installing drive trays will do a better job providing
    the mobo works well with cable select. All needed then is to power off
    system and change trays. If cable select does not work well then you still
    have to change jumpers. Pulling trays and opening them may or may not be
    easier than doing it via the case?????????

    Good luck!

    10_4, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Mac Lynch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I think the idea of making a switch would work too. The pins on the HD
    jumper are the same size as headers for motherboard connections. Steal a
    couple of those from some old hardware laying around. Get a rotary switch,
    and wire it to swap the jumpers, then install it in the case - best in a
    plastic floppy drive hole cover plate so it can be snapped in and out when
    working on the unit. IIRC, Radio Shack still carries rotary switches. The
    warning to power off before switching still applies <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2005