want to setup home wireless networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Urak, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Urak

    Urak Guest

    Hi
    I have the following home pc's
    Computer A:
    M/B : Asus P4P800-E deluxe
    O/s :Win Xp sp1
    Processor : P4 3.0 GHz
    AI net : marvel gigabit Ethernet controller
    I/O : 1xRJ45

    Computer B:
    M/B : Asus CUSL2
    O/s : Win Xp Sp2
    processor : P3 - 800E
    Network PCI card : 3com -3C905B-TX

    Computer C:
    Notebook: Prestigio 1223
    O/s : Win Xp Sp1
    centrino processor M 725 1.6Ghz
    Built in WiFi 802.11b
    Built in Ethernet :Realtek ethernet 10/100Mbps
    Firewire 1394

    Connection:
    Will subscribe to ADSL ( now using dial up)
    Computer A and B will be hard wired to the modem -RJ45
    Computer C will use WiFi
    All three computers will access the internet
    independently via the modem
    Computer A and B have their own printer and scanner.
    Computer C will share with Computer B's printer and
    scanner and that's where the modem will be situated.

    Hardware:
    I am thinking of buying one of the following
    Wireless ADSL Router Modem with AP
    1: Dlink Wireless G ADSL Router Modem DSL-G604T
    www.dlink.com

    2: Prolink Hurricane H9000W
    www.fida.com

    3: Prolink Hurricane H9000G ( with VPN and Firewall)
    www.fida.com

    4: Aztech ADSL 802.11b LAN 4 port combo router DSL-305EW
    www.aztech.com.sg

    I already have a Microsoft firewall in XP SP2 ( computer B)
    Will the Vpn and firewall Router modem conflict with XP SP2 firewall.
    Could someone please help me choose the appropriate wireless modem that
    would work with less problems

    Thank You

    Arju
    Urak, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Urak

    peter Guest

    Personal opinion
    Some of those router/modem combo are a complete hassle.Part of the problem is
    that it needs to match your phone co.requirements.
    I went with a different solution.I have a ADSL Modem supplied by the phone co.
    to which I hooked up a wireless router.This is connected to 2 computers plus a
    laptop.One computer and the laptop are wireless and the other computer is wired
    in.All can access the net independently of each other while at the same time
    they are all behind a firewall and use all of the security features of the
    router..mac addressing et al.
    I can access the printer/scanner on computer #1 from any of the other systems
    ....i just needed to install the drivers on the machines.
    If I decide to change ADSL supplier I dont have to check to see if it is
    compatible with my modem....they'll give me a new one.
    something to think about.
    peter

    peter, Jan 8, 2005