    read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
    do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
    Larry
    larya, Sep 10, 2006

  2. larya

    why? Guest

    On 10 Sep 2006 09:14:17 -0700, larya wrote:

    >Greetings....
    >I hope the subject says it all....

    Close enough, but it's a guess the subject is about the body of the
    message :)

    >My computer is a etower 533...
    >I can't find a manufactureer's name....

    IIRC, eMachines.

    You can www.google.com for that, if it is then there should be upgrade
    info.

    >Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
    >read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website

    That's what I have always done, so far the OS and the burning software
    hasn't needed updated and it's always worked.

    >do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
    >Larry

    Me
    why?, Sep 10, 2006

  3. larya

    SJP Guest

    "larya" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings....
    > I hope the subject says it all....
    > My computer is a etower 533...
    > I can't find a manufactureer's name....
    > Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
    > read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
    > do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...

    http://www.emachines.com/

    Buy thecd.dvd writer of your choice and if it has a spare bay fit it as well
    as the cd drive you already have. If not then replace the cd drive with the
    new one after setting slave/master/cs link

    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Sections-article4-.phtml
    SJP, Sep 10, 2006
  4. larya

    richard Guest

    "larya" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings....
    > I hope the subject says it all....
    > My computer is a etower 533...
    > I can't find a manufactureer's name....
    > Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
    > read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
    > do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
    > Larry

    Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
    Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
    Besides, now you have portability to use it on other machines.

    I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB. Including one
    which does it all including DVD-RAM.
    When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.
    richard, Sep 10, 2006
  5. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in

    > "larya" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings....
    >> I hope the subject says it all....
    >> My computer is a etower 533...
    >> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
    >> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
    >> inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
    >> drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who
    >> manufactured this computer?... Larry
    >>

    > Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
    > Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
    > Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
    > machines.
    >
    > I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB.
    > Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
    > When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

    Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference between
    internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be happy to follow
    your advice.
    thanatoid, Sep 11, 2006
  6. larya

    richard Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "richard" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "larya" <> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings....
    >>> I hope the subject says it all....
    >>> My computer is a etower 533...
    >>> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
    >>> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
    >>> inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
    >>> drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who
    >>> manufactured this computer?... Larry
    >>>

    >> Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
    >> Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
    >> Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
    >> machines.
    >>
    >> I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB.
    >> Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
    >> When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

    > Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference between
    > internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be happy to follow
    > your advice.

    Maybe years ago. Not today. The difference might be something like $50 at
    the most.
    My solution to that is to buy an internal drive, and a usb box.
    richard, Sep 11, 2006
  7. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "richard" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "larya" <> wrote in message
    >>> ..
    >>>>

    >>> Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
    >>> Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
    >>> Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
    >>> machines.
    >>>
    >>> I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all
    >>> USB. Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
    >>> When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

    >> Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference
    >> between internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be
    >> happy to follow your advice.

    > Maybe years ago. Not today. The difference might be
    > something like $50 at the most.

    Since I have no life, I checked newegg. You are right on target,
    I was WAY off. Still...

    External CD burners range from $38.99 [OUT OF STOCK] to under
    $400.

    That $38.99 LiteOn burner is not only OOS, but also the ONLY
    external CD (NOT DVD) burner available. BION, some people are
    NOT interested in burning DVD's, especially now as the format
    wars are again getting a little ridiculous and the future is
    rather uncertain.

    The cheapest external CD/DVD burner is about $70 but the brand
    name is "FANTOM DRIVES". Hmmm...

    The cheapest INTERNAL CD-AND-DVD burners are UNDER $19.00, from
    LiteOn, LG and Sony.

    > My solution to that is to buy an internal drive, and a usb
    > box.

    HUH?
    thanatoid, Sep 11, 2006
  8. larya

    thanatoid Guest

    "larya" <> wrote in

    > Greetings....
    > I hope the subject says it all....
    > My computer is a etower 533...
    > I can't find a manufactureer's name....
    > Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
    > inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
    > drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who manufactured
    > this computer?... Larry

    It is a matter of opening the computer, disconnecting two or
    three cables of varying sizes (one IS a little hard to pull out)
    and two or four screws (possibly none, depending on the
    machine), and then doing the reverse with the new drive. All
    CD/DVD drives come with software, should you need it, but you
    probably won't.

    I checked www.newegg.com.

    The cheapest INTERNAL CD-AND-DVD burners are UNDER $19.00, from
    LiteOn, LG and Sony. Those are all good brands. I have been
    using two LG's for years and they work perfectly.

    External CD burners range from $38.99 [OUT OF STOCK] to under
    $400.

    The $38.99 LiteOn burner is not only OOS, but also the ONLY

    thanatoid, Sep 11, 2006