Want to rename digital photos one at a time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Toidi, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Toidi

    Toidi Guest

    What I want seems to be the opposite of what most people want.
    Instead of batch renaming and so on, I'd like a utility that allows me
    to view a jpg and rename it on the spot. I can type pretty fast so I
    would actually like to individually rename all of my digital pictures.

    For example, I would like to type in "Jack and Jill playing frisbee at
    Coconut Beach" (.jpg) for a picture. Obviously, I could go through
    each photo and rename them conventionally. But, I would love a
    program that I could load about a hundred pics and it just pops up
    with a box to rename when a picture is being previewed. Then, as soon
    as I type the new name and hit Enter it goes to the next photo with
    the box popped up already ready to rename. As you can tell, this
    would be very fast if you type quickly.

    This seems like such a simple idea, with just a viewer and some sort
    of renaming script along with auto advance to the next file. If I
    knew anything about programming, I could probably write something in
    about 20 minutes to do this, but I'm not a developer.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a few batch renaming
    programs, and a couple of utilities that come close, but nothing that
    truly fits this description. Any help would be outstanding!!!

    Thanks in advance,

    Diana
    Toidi, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Toidi

    Robertwgross Guest

    Diana wrote:
    >What I want seems to be the opposite of what most people want.
    >Instead of batch renaming and so on, I'd like a utility that allows me
    >to view a jpg and rename it on the spot. ...

    You will get better advice if you identify your operating systems (e.g. Windows
    XP). OBTW, it is built into Windows XP on the right mouse click.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Toidi

    Norm Guest

    The easiest way I've found is with irfanview from irfanview.com, best of all
    it's free.

    Norm, Nov 23, 2003
  4. (Toidi) writes:

    > What I want seems to be the opposite of what most people want.
    > Instead of batch renaming and so on, I'd like a utility that allows me
    > to view a jpg and rename it on the spot. I can type pretty fast so I
    > would actually like to individually rename all of my digital pictures.

    Graphic Converter: http://www.lemkesoft.de -- you're posting through
    Google, so I can't tell your OS. It's a Mac, right?

    Phil Stripling, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Toidi

    Cindy Guest

    Hi Diana,

    If you are using a PC, Picfa Album has exactly what you are looking for.
    You can import as many photos as you want into an album. Select a photo
    and click the Photo Info button to enter the caption (file name) for the
    photo. The Photo Info window displays a thumbnail of the selected photo
    and you can use the Next and Previous button to repeat the renaming task
    till you are done. Please check out the first screen shot at
    http://www.picfa.com/?page=Share&albumid=75&uid=1477965 to see if this
    is what you are looking for.

    Cindy

    Cindy, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Toidi

    PEmpson181 Guest

    >I'd like a utility that allows me
    >to view a jpg and rename it on the spot.

    I don't know about utility but I use Adobe Photoshop Album and this lets you
    rename photos easily, going from one to the next, and add captions with
    addtional descriptions if you wish.

    There is a trial version at the Adobe website.

    Pat
    PEmpson181, Nov 23, 2003
  7. "Toidi" <> wrote in message
    > What I want seems to be the opposite of what most people want.
    > Instead of batch renaming and so on, I'd like a utility that allows me
    > to view a jpg and rename it on the spot. I can type pretty fast so I
    > would actually like to individually rename all of my digital pictures.
    >
    > For example, I would like to type in "Jack and Jill playing frisbee at
    > Coconut Beach" (.jpg) for a picture. Obviously, I could go through
    > each photo and rename them conventionally. But, I would love a
    > program that I could load about a hundred pics and it just pops up
    > with a box to rename when a picture is being previewed. Then, as soon
    > as I type the new name and hit Enter it goes to the next photo with
    > the box popped up already ready to rename. As you can tell, this
    > would be very fast if you type quickly.
    >
    > This seems like such a simple idea, with just a viewer and some sort
    > of renaming script along with auto advance to the next file. If I
    > knew anything about programming, I could probably write something in
    > about 20 minutes to do this, but I'm not a developer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a few batch renaming
    > programs, and a couple of utilities that come close, but nothing that
    > truly fits this description. Any help would be outstanding!!!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Diana

    You can do this with Paint Shop Pro for Jasc (www.jasc.com). The Browse
    function generates a set of thumbnials of all the pix in a folder. You can
    click on a thumbnail to view the photo full size and edit it, and you can
    save the edited file with the same or a different name. You can also rename
    a file by right-clicking on the thumbnail.
    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Toidi

    Toidi Guest

    Thanks for the blazingly quick responses everyone! With a quick
    preview, I think Cindy's suggestion is the closest to what I'm looking
    for, although Photoshop Album might be great as well. I wanted to
    post some specs, however, because I totally forget soon after I
    started writing the post.

    I'm running Windows 98 SE and I'm using a Canon S400 4 MP camera if
    that matters at all. There might possibly be a Canon add-on or update
    that does this, which is why I post it.

    In any event, the responses are great and I'll research these some
    more and find which works best (unless somebody has an even better
    suggestion). Thanks again everyone!

    Diana
    Toidi, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Toidi

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Irfanview does this. Select thumbnail view from the file menu after opening
    any picture in that directory. Select a photo thumbnail and hit f2.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 25, 2003