    Thanks,

    ChrisCoaster
    Diamondback at Kings Island!

    ChrisCoaster, Feb 20, 2010

  2. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    Can you go into Add & Remove Programs and Uninstall two of the three
    instances?

    Can you use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go into Folder
    Options and select the File Types tab, scroll down to MP3 and edit the
    applications that are called?

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 20, 2010

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Feb 20, 5:39 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > Can you go into Add & Remove Programs and Uninstall two of the three
    > instances?
    >
    > Can you use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go into Folder
    > Options and select the File Types tab, scroll down to MP3 and edit the
    > applications that are called?
    >
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > PC: HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home Premium.

    > > I have owned 3 of the same mp3player in a row, and in auto play
    > > options three instances of it apear each with a pulldown for options
    > > what to do when it is hooked up to the USB.

    > > How can I delete ALL instances of this mp3 player from Windows so I
    > > can properly detect and administer(manage music) on the one I
    > > currently own?

    > > Thanks,

    > > ChrisCoaster
    > > Diamondback at Kings Island!- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________
    No such thing as "Add/Remove Programs" in Vista.

    No such thing as "Windows Explorer" in Vista.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Feb 25, 2010
  4. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    On Feb 20, 5:39 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > Can you go into Add & Remove Programs and Uninstall two of the three
    > instances?
    >
    > Can you use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go into Folder
    > Options and select the File Types tab, scroll down to MP3 and edit the
    > applications that are called?
    >
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > PC: HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home Premium.

    > > I have owned 3 of the same mp3player in a row, and in auto play
    > > options three instances of it apear each with a pulldown for options
    > > what to do when it is hooked up to the USB.

    > > How can I delete ALL instances of this mp3 player from Windows so I
    > > can properly detect and administer(manage music) on the one I
    > > currently own?

    > > Thanks,

    > > ChrisCoaster
    > > Diamondback at Kings Island!- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________
    No such thing as "Add/Remove Programs" in Vista.

    No such thing as "Windows Explorer" in Vista.

    <JS>
    Add & Remove Programs is renamed to Programs and Features, or something
    close to that. You select from the list that opens and can Uninstall the
    selection you make. You will find this in the Control Panel,
    START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL. The name is changed, bu the feature remains
    the same.

    Windows Explorer exists in Vista. Right-Click the Start button and choose
    Explore, or click START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>WINDOWS EXPLORER.

    Keep in mind, Vista has moved things around from the previous versions, and
    lots of people that want to offer helpfull suggestions will assume you know
    the previous versions and the variances that Vista throws at you.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 25, 2010
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Feb 24, 10:54 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > On Feb 20, 5:39 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Can you go into Add & Remove Programs and Uninstall two of the three
    > > instances?

    > > Can you use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and go into Folder
    > > Options and select the File Types tab, scroll down to MP3 and edit the
    > > applications that are called?

    > > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > > PC: HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home Premium.

    > > > I have owned 3 of the same mp3player in a row, and in auto play
    > > > options three instances of it apear each with a pulldown for options
    > > > what to do when it is hooked up to the USB.

    > > > How can I delete ALL instances of this mp3 player from Windows so I
    > > > can properly detect and administer(manage music) on the one I
    > > > currently own?

    > > > Thanks,

    > > > ChrisCoaster
    > > > Diamondback at Kings Island!- Hide quoted text -

    > ____________________________
    > No such thing as "Add/Remove Programs" in Vista.
    >
    > No such thing as "Windows Explorer" in Vista.
    >
    > <JS>
    > Add & Remove Programs is renamed to Programs and Features, or something
    > close to that. You select from the list that opens and can Uninstall the
    > selection you make. You will find this in the Control Panel,
    > START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL. The name is changed, bu the feature remains
    > the same.
    >
    > Windows Explorer exists in Vista. Right-Click the Start button and choose
    > Explore, or click START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>WINDOWS EXPLORER.
    >
    > Keep in mind, Vista has moved things around from the previous versions, and
    > lots of people that want to offer helpfull suggestions will assume you know
    > the previous versions and the variances that Vista throws at you.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    _________________________
    I found those, thank you. But there is still no provision for
    removing the FOUR iterations of the mp3 player I own, so I can get the
    same view of the player through windows every time.

    When I plug in the player it opens a window asking what I want to do.
    There is a link at the bottom to select defaults, and when I click on
    it I can see the 4 instances of my player. When I right click on them
    there is no option to cut/move/copy/delete them.

    WTF do I do??

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Mar 1, 2010
  6. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    _________________________
    I found those, thank you. But there is still no provision for
    removing the FOUR iterations of the mp3 player I own, so I can get the
    same view of the player through windows every time.

    When I plug in the player it opens a window asking what I want to do.
    There is a link at the bottom to select defaults, and when I click on
    it I can see the 4 instances of my player. When I right click on them
    there is no option to cut/move/copy/delete them.

    WTF do I do??

    -ChrisCoaster

    <JS>
    What player are you using?

    File Associations
    Open Windows Explorer -- Right-click START> and select Explore. On the Menu
    Bar, click TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>FILE TYPES, then scroll down the list to
    MP3, and see what program is called to open your MP3 files. Delete the file
    associations you don't want, and delete any duplicates if there are any.

    When Windows encounters a file type, it goes to a look up list and finds the
    program that is associated with that file type. I've not seen what could
    happen with multiple entries of the same file type and different (or
    repeated) file associations, but it occurs to me that one thing that could
    happen is multiple instances of the associated application might start. This
    is very strange, and I doubt it's the problem, but it doesn't hurt to look.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 2, 2010
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Mar 1, 9:10 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > What player are you using?
    >
    > File Associations
    > Open Windows Explorer -- Right-click START> and select Explore. On the Menu
    > Bar, click TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>FILE TYPES, then scroll down the list to
    > MP3, and see what program is called to open your MP3 files. Delete the file
    > associations you don't want, and delete any duplicates if there are any.
    >
    > When Windows encounters a file type, it goes to a look up list and finds the
    > program that is associated with that file type. I've not seen what could
    > happen with multiple entries of the same file type and different (or
    > repeated) file associations, but it occurs to me that one thing that could
    > happen is multiple instances of the associated application might start. This
    > is very strange, and I doubt it's the problem, but it doesn't hurt to look.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________

    I apologize for not clarifying - this is a physical mp3 player - one
    that you hold in hand or clip to your belt.
    Because I have now owned 4 of this player - the View, from Sandisk's
    Sansa division - 4 of them appear in my Auto-Play options box. I
    would pretty much like to delete all 4 and start from scratch, as
    alternately one of two slightly different looking windows pops up when
    I plug the player in via USB. One allows me to see all the contents
    in the player's folders, the other does not.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Mar 2, 2010
  8. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    _______________________

    I apologize for not clarifying - this is a physical mp3 player - one
    that you hold in hand or clip to your belt.
    Because I have now owned 4 of this player - the View, from Sandisk's
    Sansa division - 4 of them appear in my Auto-Play options box. I
    would pretty much like to delete all 4 and start from scratch, as
    alternately one of two slightly different looking windows pops up when
    I plug the player in via USB. One allows me to see all the contents
    in the player's folders, the other does not.

    -CC

    <JS>
    Okay, you have a device that you plug in from time to time to update the
    files. You have owned four different of these devices over the years, and
    when you plug the current device in, all four user interface applications
    are invoked? I've never seen anything like this before. That is, I've never
    seen a device call more than one application for you to interface with it.

    This sounds like a job for Device Manager, delete all of the MP3 players,
    reboot, then plug in the one you want to use. You machine will treat it as
    if it had never been used before, and ask for the installation CD to load
    drivers -- maybe. Since the device is USB, then it is also likely to be
    plug-n-play, and might not ask for the installation CD.

    The Device Manager is found on the Hardware Tab of the System icon in the
    Control Panel.

    That will take care of the hardware issue, but it seems by what you have
    told me that there are multiple software applications that all get fired up
    when the hardware comes around. This is fixed through Add & Remove Programs,
    you have to locate the multiple instances and Uninstall them.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 3, 2010
  9. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Mar 3, 11:10 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > <JS>
    > Okay, you have a device that you plug in from time to time to update the
    > files. You have owned four different of these devices over the years, and
    > when you plug the current device in, all four user interface applications
    > are invoked? I've never seen anything like this before. That is, I've never
    > seen a device call more than one application for you to interface with it..
    >
    > This sounds like a job for Device Manager, delete all of the MP3 players,
    > reboot, then plug in the one you want to use. You machine will treat it as
    > if it had never been used before, and ask for the installation CD to load
    > drivers -- maybe. Since the device is USB, then it is also likely to be
    > plug-n-play, and might not ask for the installation CD.
    >
    > The Device Manager is found on the Hardware Tab of the System icon in the
    > Control Panel.
    >
    > That will take care of the hardware issue, but it seems by what you have
    > told me that there are multiple software applications that all get fired up
    > when the hardware comes around. This is fixed through Add & Remove Programs,
    > you have to locate the multiple instances and Uninstall them.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    _________________________
    Sorry - my Texan must be tripping you up(!) There are two slightly
    different looking windows - one of which will pop-up when the player
    is plugged in. One window allows me to see all the files on the
    player, the other does not.

    I will, however, try the paths you outlined in your final two
    paragraphs. Thanks!

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Mar 3, 2010
  10. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    _________________________
    Sorry - my Texan must be tripping you up(!) There are two slightly
    different looking windows - one of which will pop-up when the player
    is plugged in. One window allows me to see all the files on the
    player, the other does not.

    I will, however, try the paths you outlined in your final two
    paragraphs. Thanks!

    -CC

    <JS>
    Texan! I knew something was wrong, English is not your primary language ...
    <hehehe>

    Are these Windows Explorer windows, or application windows?

    Windows Explorer is the what you would use to manage and move files from,
    for example, My Music to the MP3 device. You could open two Explorer windows
    side by side, then simply drag a song from My Music in one of the windows to
    the MP3 device on the other window. This is a handy way to move pictures
    around too, if you don't know how or why to use Explorer.

    It's entirely possible (probable even) that the device is calling the user
    interface application (one of the windows) AND invoking an instance of
    Explorer (the other window). Anytime you plug in a device and there is a
    dialog that comes up that says, A new device was found that contains some
    sort of file, then asks what you would like to do -- Open with, Browse, (and
    other options) -- you should deselect the ALWAYS DO THIS WITH THIS CONTENT,
    or when the device comes back in a couple of days or weeks and the content
    is seen again, Windows will repeat whatever you told it to do, and the
    device itself might invoke its user interface application at the same time.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 3, 2010
  11. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Mar 3, 11:41 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > Are these Windows Explorer windows, or application windows?
    >
    > Windows Explorer is the what you would use to manage and move files from,
    > for example, My Music to the MP3 device. You could open two Explorer windows
    > side by side, then simply drag a song from My Music in one of the windows to
    > the MP3 device on the other window. This is a handy way to move pictures
    > around too, if you don't know how or why to use Explorer.
    >
    > It's entirely possible (probable even) that the device is calling the user
    > interface application (one of the windows) AND invoking an instance of
    > Explorer (the other window). Anytime you plug in a device and there is a
    > dialog that comes up that says, A new device was found that contains some
    > sort of file, then asks what you would like to do -- Open with, Browse, (and
    > other options) -- you should deselect the ALWAYS DO THIS WITH THIS CONTENT,
    > or when the device comes back in a couple of days or weeks and the content
    > is seen again, Windows will repeat whatever you told it to do, and the
    > device itself might invoke its user interface application at the same time.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________
    They are both explorer windows. First, one of two slightly different
    dialog boxes pops up, with options to select what to do once the
    device was detected.

    I click on "Open Device to Explore Files" so it treats the mp3 Player
    as "just another" window. The catch here is that the view of the
    player's files is different depending upon which dialog box is
    spawned. This is all MS dialog - not applications related to Sansa or
    other third party.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Mar 3, 2010
  12. Re: Want to remove autoplay options for multiple instances of same mp3 player

    _______________________
    They are both explorer windows. First, one of two slightly different
    dialog boxes pops up, with options to select what to do once the
    device was detected.

    I click on "Open Device to Explore Files" so it treats the mp3 Player
    as "just another" window. The catch here is that the view of the
    player's files is different depending upon which dialog box is
    spawned. This is all MS dialog - not applications related to Sansa or
    other third party.

    -CC

    <JS>
    Okay, can you click on the column heading to resort the files by Name or
    Type so that they are arranged the same way?

    The problem you're telling me about now isn't quite the same as what you
    were saying earlier. I get that you are telling me abnout the same problem,
    but I was reading that the application was opening multiple times, but
    Windows Explorer is opening multiple times.

    Windows sees the device and repeats the instructions you gave it on a prior
    instance of seeing the device, or a device with the same sorts of files on
    it. Basically, once you said (by way of a checkbox), "Always do this when
    you see these ..." It's difficlut for me to tell you what's happening, but
    it seems that your device is being seen multiple times, or each different
    kind of file is invoking an instance of Explorer, or some variation of that.

    When Explorer opens, the files are shown sorted in various ways. You can
    affect the sort by simply clicking on the heading at the top of any column.
    There's no reason for Explorer to open two windows and display different
    file lists from the same device, so I can't really help much anymore from
    here.

    What happens if you take the MP3 device to your brother's house, or a
    friend, or whatever, and plug it in?

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 4, 2010