Want to make phone calls across internet between 2 locations with hardware boxes-how to setup/what d

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Eric Kotz, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Eric Kotz

    Eric Kotz Guest

    OK all, let me explain what I'm trying to do. There's probally a good
    FAQ out there regarding this, but I haven't found it, so if someone
    can provide a link, I'd apprecaite it.
    I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such as
    a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice versa.
    Ideally, picking up a phone at one end makes the phone at the other
    end ring without dialing anything, but if necessary, dialing is OK. I
    want to use a hardware solution such as the ATA-186; I don't want to
    have to run software on a PC and use a headset or similar.
    Anyway, I don't even know where to begin regarding this. What
    hardware do I need besides the ATA-186's (or equivellent) Do I need
    to setup a SIP gateway. One side will have a public IP;
    alternatively, I can use my existing VPN to link the two VOIP boxes.
    If I need to run software of some type (SIP?), is there a Linux
    program that works well, or will I be forced to run server software
    under Windows?
    Is there anything that's roughly equivellent to, but cheaper than, a
    Cisco ATA-186? I don't want to use a solution that connects to a
    computer via USB-I want to plug a phone into it, and an ethernet
    cable. What about if I want to setup something in future sort of like
    a mini-phone network, where I can call between a few ATA-186's or
    equivellents, at that point, I would assume I would have to setup a
    server of some kind, but what type?

    Thanks,
    Eric Kotz
    Eric Kotz, Sep 24, 2003

  2. > I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such
    > as a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice
    > versa.

    I'd set them both up on FWD or sipphone. Then you can just call one
    from the other. They're both free, so why hassle with setting up your
    own server or progamming the phones to find each other?

    I see that sipphone will sell you a pair of Budgetone VoIP phones for
    $130. Has anyone used them? Are they any good?

    Another possibility would be to sign up for Packet8's $6/mo service
    with no bundled POTS minutes, since intranetwork calls are free. You
    have to pay the $6/mo, but the equipment is only $30.
    John R. Levine, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Eric Kotz

    NO_SPAMMERS Guest

    Have a look at Free World DialUp (http://www.pulver.com/fwd). It uses SIP
    for handshaking. If you + your folks have a Cisco ATA-186 on each end, then
    FWD can be used as your phonebook server. Just open a FREE account for both
    you and your folks in order to use the server (of course you will need to
    read some docs on the site to understand how to setup your devices). I use
    VoIPBlaster (VB) that I paid for US$10/each and am very happy with this
    device. The only caveat (as far as I am concerned) is that this device has
    a hardcoded G.723 CoDecs; thus, you can't turn it off and replace with
    other CoDecs to sen FAX or data. Mind you that this VB is only an FXS
    device. If you are on a budget and can still find this device very
    inexpensive (cause it has been discontinued), then I suggest that you take
    a look at the following sites:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/fobbit
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster

    http://www.asterisk.org
    http://www.gnugk.org
    http://www.OpenH323.org

    The first two sites are mainly for VB whereas the last three are more for
    setting up a gateway in general.

    Good luck.

    NO_SPAMMERS, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Eric Kotz

    Eric Kotz Guest

    Well, I don't want to go the Packet8 route because that alone will
    cost more per month than we're spending on calling cards now.
    This isn't meant to be 100% practical-odds are I will be spending more
    on VoIP boxes than I ever would spend on calling cards. That's not
    really the point of this, the point of it is stuff like this is how I
    learn. Now that I know this is do-able, I'll get a pair of phones and
    get them running.
    As to why I don't want to sign up for a free account somewhere, I hate
    relying on others. While it's not feasible for me to run fiber from
    my appartment back to my house, if I could I would go that route.
    Using those other services, even if they are free, means I have to
    rely on one more person. Plus, I have less flexibility and learn less
    about VoIP. If I configure a SIP gateway, it will be that much more
    that I've learned.
    Someone else mentioned the Creative Voice Blaster-unless I'm mistaken,
    that's a USB solution-I don't want a USB solution. While the SIP
    gateway will have to run on a computer, I want to be able to plug the
    phone into a device that plugs right into my ethernet switch-no
    computer required.

    Thanks,
    Eric Kotz

    Eric Kotz, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Eric Kotz

    NO SPAMMERS Guest

    You don't want VoPIBlaster mainly because it needs a host and you want
    something that can access directly to a ethernet switch. My best suggestion
    is to get a Cisco ATA-186 unit on each end and use the Free World Dialup
    SIP service. If you can still find some Aplio/Pro (from Net2Phone site),
    you might want to take a look at this site:

    http://www.neolineas.com/wiki/showPage.yaws?node=home

    and download its IP Finder server code to host it on one of your computer
    for this Aplio/Pro.

    --
    NO_SPAMMERS
    NO SPAMMERS, Sep 26, 2003