Want to know which brand to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Steve Mackie

    Steve Mackie Guest

    I posted this under another thread, thought I'd give the post it's own
    thread because it's funny.

    --------------------
    Here's sort of a gauge to use when deciding which brand to buy (not perfect,
    but good):

    Google Group Search:

    canon group:rec.photo.digital - 524,000 hits
    nikon group:rec.photo.digital - 258,000 hits
    olympus group:rec.photo.digital - 171,000 hits
    sony group:rec.photo.digital - 119,000 hits
    kodak group:rec.photo.digital - 104,000 hits
    fuji group:rec.photo.digital - 70,000 hits
    hp group:rec.photo.digital - 47,400 hits
    minolta group:rec.photo.digital - 38,300 hits
    casio group:rec.photo.digital - 13,200 hits
    pentax group:rec.photo.digital - 9,060 hits
    panasonic group:rec.photo.digital - 7,550 hits
    konica group:rec.photo.digital - 2,400 hits
    benq group:rec.photo.digital - 60 hits

    canon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 23,300 hits (4.4%)
    nikon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 20,300 hits (7.9%)
    olympus problem group:rec.photo.digital - 15,700 hits (9.2%)
    sony problem group:rec.photo.digital - 8,670 hits (7.3%)
    kodak problem group:rec.photo.digital - 12,600 hits (12%)
    fuji problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6,230 hits (8.9%)
    hp problem group:rec.photo.digital - 7,720 hits (16.3%)
    minolta problem group:rec.photo.digital - 4,120 hits (10.8%)
    casio problem group:rec.photo.digital - 1,450 (11%)
    pentax problem group:rec.photo.digital - 812 hits (8.9%)
    panasonic problem group:rec.photo.digital - 737 (9.8%)
    konica problem group:rec.photo.digital - 305 hits (12.7%)
    benq problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6 hits (10%)

    Notice the high percentage of 'hp problem.' ;) However, there are issues
    with this gauge. People who buy brands like Kodak, HP, Sony and Fuji are not
    as "enthusiastic" or "tech minded" to come on UseNet to discuss their
    camera. IMO they would be more likely to make a post as a last resort to
    solve some issue they are having. Plus, Canon I believe has the widest
    assortment of cameras on the market, so there is a model for everyone. I
    also believe Canon and Nikon are the two brands enthusiasts prefer, a good
    reason for the high post count.

    Hope that helps. ;) It was kinda fun for me.
    --------------------

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Steve Mackie

    Helen Guest

    "Steve Mackie" <> wrote in message

    > Hope that helps. ;) It was kinda fun for me.
    > --------------------

    Try getting out a bit more.

    Helen, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Steve Mackie

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Steve Mackie" wrote:
    > canon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 23,300 hits (4.4%)
    > nikon problem group:rec.photo.digital - 20,300 hits (7.9%)
    > olympus problem group:rec.photo.digital - 15,700 hits (9.2%)
    > sony problem group:rec.photo.digital - 8,670 hits (7.3%)
    > kodak problem group:rec.photo.digital - 12,600 hits (12%)
    > fuji problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6,230 hits (8.9%)
    > hp problem group:rec.photo.digital - 7,720 hits (16.3%)
    > minolta problem group:rec.photo.digital - 4,120 hits (10.8%)
    > casio problem group:rec.photo.digital - 1,450 (11%)
    > pentax problem group:rec.photo.digital - 812 hits (8.9%)
    > panasonic problem group:rec.photo.digital - 737 (9.8%)
    > konica problem group:rec.photo.digital - 305 hits (12.7%)
    > benq problem group:rec.photo.digital - 6 hits (10%)
    >
    > Notice the high percentage of 'hp problem.' ;)

    Completely useless. All you did was search for posts with "hp" and
    "problems". Are these problems with HP cameras? Problems with HP printers?
    Problems with HP rebates? Problems with HP scanners? Problems with the HP
    website? Problems finding the "on" button? Problems downloading a help
    video from HP? Problems with a canon but not an HP camera?

    If you search for "hp problem", *with the quotes*, you only get eight
    results, BTW, two of which reference your "research" above.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Steve Mackie

    Steve Mackie Guest

    > Completely useless. All you did was search for posts with "hp" and
    > "problems".

    Are these problems with HP cameras? 1,980 hits
    Problems with HP printers? 3,640 hits
    Problems with HP rebates? 115 hits
    Problems with HP scanners? 1,830 hits
    Problems with the HP website? 580 hits
    Problems finding the "on" button? Take the camera back.
    Problems downloading a help video from HP? 343 hits
    Problems with a canon but not an HP camera? Irrelivant, the hit would show
    up under the canon search and the hp search.

    I never said it wasn't completely useless. I said it was a gauge, with
    problems.

    > If you search for "hp problem", *with the quotes*, you only get eight
    > results, BTW, two of which reference your "research" above.

    Ya, if you search for it in quotes you are going to get very few results.
    How many people would make a statement like that?
    "I am having a HP problem." They don't, they say "I'm having a problem with
    my HP camera." Also, it's safe to say that most of the posts are going to be
    regarding cameras, since that's what this group appears to be centred
    around.

    Anyway, like I said, "gauge with problems." Not only that, I don't give a
    flying f*** what camera you or anyone else buys, not to buy a HP is my
    opinion.

    Are you some sort of HP fan boy? It sure seems like it.

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Steve Mackie

    Jon Danniken Guest

    "Steve Mackie" wrote:
    > Anyway, like I said, "gauge with problems." Not only that, I don't give a
    > flying f*** what camera you or anyone else buys, not to buy a HP is my
    > opinion.

    An opinion based on nothing but baseless conjecture on your part.. Oh, and
    BTW, you never said it was a gauge with problems, you said, "Here's sort of
    a gauge to use when deciding which brand to buy (not perfect, but good):"

    If you can't even quote yourself properly, you might want to get a better
    pair of glasses.

    > Are you some sort of HP fan boy? It sure seems like it.

    Not at all. I merely asked why you have a low opinion of HP cameras, and
    eventually discovered it was due to absolutely no reason on your part other
    than baseless conjecture. Your flawed attempt at "research" after the fact
    does nothing to add credibility to your position.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Feb 10, 2006