Want to hide my wireless network so neighbors cannot use it

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Please tell me the best way to prevent other people with wireless adaptors
    from using my wireless network to log on to internet.. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=, Mar 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=

    Malke Guest

    Malke, Mar 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=

    johnny Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:51:16 -0800, bruphy wrote:

    > Please tell me the best way to prevent other people with wireless adaptors
    > from using my wireless network to log on to internet.. Thanks.

    Use WPA.

    johnny, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=, Mar 12, 2006
  5. "johnny" wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:51:16 -0800, bruphy wrote:
    >
    > > Please tell me the best way to prevent other people with wireless adaptors
    > > from using my wireless network to log on to internet.. Thanks.

    > Use WPA.

    I have the network I want set up between my PC and my laptop. The PC is the
    one with the cable modem and the D-Link router. First of all, where do you
    find the router on the computer to change its settings? Right now I have a
    good wireless network labeled 'default' and it is unsecured. The network I
    want to be using I have all set up and it is secured but I cannot seem to
    make the computers use that network instead of the default network. I do not
    care if I can share files etc...am just using it for internet connection.
    How do I go about making the two computers choose my own network instead of
    the default network?

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=, Mar 13, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=

    James Gockel Guest

    I looked over the six dumbest ways to secure a wireless lan... Yes they are
    all good reason to not use them for security issues. But a simple way to
    get neighbors to not use it unintentionally is not broadcasting the ssid...
    now if they are intentionally using it, and they are going to do it because
    they think they are hackers, they will find ways to get around that.
    WEP will decrease range of the network (I'm confused as to why, but
    whatever), so you have that plus the key security that WEP gives. People say
    it's easy to break, but in a home environment it's fairly difficult and time
    consuming.

    Hope that helps too bruphy..
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 13, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=

    James Gockel Guest

    You will have to log onto the "website" that your router gives you to work
    with... First you have to look into your connection settings, and check what
    your gateway's IP address is... it should look like 192.168.?.1 the
    question mark being a 1 or 2 maybe 0... could be something else... go into
    internet explorer and go to http:// (your gateway ip)... for example
    http://192.168.1.1
    Check your router's manual for more instructions from there... you'll need
    to know your router's password, etc. (dlinks I think default is, user:
    "admin" password: "password" without quotes.) If you dont have the manual go
    to the manufacture's website...
    Assumeing your neighbor hasn't changed this for you ;-) if they have, you
    just have to reset the router, normally a button on the back of the router
    you hold down for 3 seconds or so, or hold it down when plugging power back
    in.

    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Thanks, I finally got the network secured. It won't let me access the files
    from the laptop on the PC but I really just use the network to have internet
    access and now do not have to be concerned that others in the neighborhood
    can use my broadband.

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=, Mar 14, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1cGh5?=

    James Gockel Guest

    There is a stupid problem with how windows talks to each other... there are
    some other conversations in this newsgroup that tells you how to fix the
    problem so that you can access files. the problem lies in the fact that
    computers on wireless can come and go easily, and it stores information on
    one computer vs. another about all the computers on the network, sharing
    files. One simple way to adress the issue, is know the IP addresses of each
    computer (since you only have two it should be simple to keep track) and you
    can map a network drive directly to the IP of the other computer... or
    browse their shares using it's IP.
    Open IE, and type file://(the other computer's IP).. this should give you
    the shared folders on that machine.
    for example file://192.168.1.2
    Since you were able to figure out how to log onto the router, from my other
    instructions you should be able to figure this one out too ;-)
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 14, 2006