    Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I don't appear to have these
    utilities. Is there any other way to save messages so they can be
    re-installed (continue OE where I left off) after a reload of windows?

    SS, Mar 15, 2006

  2. SS

    Steve Brooks Guest

    Steve Brooks, Mar 15, 2006

  3. SS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:yVZRf.3663$,
    SS spewed forth:
    > I went to export my mail messages from OE6 but the only options were
    > to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I don't appear to have
    > these utilities. Is there any other way to save messages so they can
    > be re-installed (continue OE where I left off) after a reload of
    > windows?

    Three things come to mind pretty quick...

    1) OE backup software (google for it)
    2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive

    If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2006
  4. SS

    Tony\(UK\) Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:yVZRf.3663$,

    snip
    > Three things come to mind pretty quick...
    >
    > 1) OE backup software (google for it)
    > 2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    > 3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive
    >
    > If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)

    I've an interesting problem with OE that I haven't been able to sort out by
    Googling. In regard to 2), if I want to drag emails into a folder I've made,
    nothing happens. Tried right-click and copy, drag and drop etc. Tried this
    on a folder made on C, and external USB drive and even floppy disk.

    Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this please?

    Tony(UK)

    Tony\(UK\), Mar 15, 2006
  5. SS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Tony(UK) spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:yVZRf.3663$,

    > snip
    >> Three things come to mind pretty quick...
    >>
    >> 1) OE backup software (google for it)
    >> 2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    >> 3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive
    >>
    >> If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)
    >>

    > I've an interesting problem with OE that I haven't been able to sort
    > out by Googling. In regard to 2), if I want to drag emails into a
    > folder I've made, nothing happens. Tried right-click and copy, drag
    > and drop etc. Tried this on a folder made on C, and external USB
    > drive and even floppy disk.
    > Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this please?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    That is weird. Have you tried a repair install?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

    Toolman Tim, Mar 16, 2006
  6. SS

    > In news:,
    > Tony(UK) spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:yVZRf.3663$,

    >> snip
    >>> Three things come to mind pretty quick...
    >>>
    >>> 1) OE backup software (google for it)
    >>> 2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    >>> 3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive
    >>>
    >>> If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)
    >>>

    >> I've an interesting problem with OE that I haven't been able to sort
    >> out by Googling. In regard to 2), if I want to drag emails into a
    >> folder I've made, nothing happens. Tried right-click and copy, drag
    >> and drop etc. Tried this on a folder made on C, and external USB
    >> drive and even floppy disk.
    >> Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this please?
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > That is weird. Have you tried a repair install?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

    I've modified the registry exactly as described in the article, Toolman,
    rebooted and downloaded IE6. On reboot, Windows asks me if I want to remove
    personilsed settings for IE and OE, so it recognises they are 'not
    installed'. I run the setup for IE6 and...Setup has detected a newer
    version, etc. Setup cannot continue.
    Any help or suggestions, or shall I just live with the bloody annoyance?
    Thanks alot for replying.

    Tony(UK)

    Tony\(UK\), Mar 16, 2006
  7. SS

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:28:30 +0000, SS wrote:

    > I went to export my mail messages from OE6 but the only options were to
    > Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I don't appear to have these
    > utilities. Is there any other way to save messages so they can be
    > re-installed (continue OE where I left off) after a reload of windows?

    Your definitive site for OE backup and restore.......

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

    Gordon, Mar 16, 2006
  8. SS

    SS Guest

    Thanks - drag and drop works fine - why didn't I ever think to try that! Of
    course you can't drag a folder that does not work but you can multiple
    select and drag emails so you could simply duplicate the folder names on
    file manager. Also these files drag back fine though you can't do any 'copy
    and paste'.

    Regarding the store folder - where is that & how do you access it - more
    importantly how to get back to OE after it has been relaoded.

    SS, Mar 16, 2006
  9. SS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:VIhSf.1905$,
    SS spewed forth:
    > Thanks - drag and drop works fine - why didn't I ever think to try
    > that! Of course you can't drag a folder that does not work but you
    > can multiple select and drag emails so you could simply duplicate the
    > folder names on file manager. Also these files drag back fine though
    > you can't do any 'copy and paste'.
    >
    > Regarding the store folder - where is that & how do you access it -
    > more importantly how to get back to OE after it has been relaoded.

    The store folder location is shown in OE by clicking on Tools, Options,
    Maintenance tab, Store folder button.

    When I have to re-format a PC, I copy all the data to a backup drive. Then
    after OE is set up, I import the messages back from the backup copy of that
    store folder, import the addresses from the backup copy of the address book,
    etc. So far, I've never lost anything <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 16, 2006
  10. SS

    SS Guest

    > In news:yVZRf.3663$,
    > SS spewed forth:
    > > I went to export my mail messages from OE6 but the only options were
    > > to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I don't appear to have
    > > these utilities. Is there any other way to save messages so they can
    > > be re-installed (continue OE where I left off) after a reload of
    > > windows?

    > Three things come to mind pretty quick...
    >
    > 1) OE backup software (google for it)
    > 2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    > 3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive
    >
    > If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)
    >
    > --
    > The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

    One problem I found with option 2 is that if the message has the same name
    (even though the time and date are different) the latest one tries to
    overwrite the earlier one copied

    SS, Mar 24, 2006
  11. SS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:kd_Uf.6613$,
    SS spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:yVZRf.3663$,
    >> SS spewed forth:
    >>> I went to export my mail messages from OE6 but the only options were
    >>> to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. I don't appear to have
    >>> these utilities. Is there any other way to save messages so they can
    >>> be re-installed (continue OE where I left off) after a reload of
    >>> windows?

    >> Three things come to mind pretty quick...
    >>
    >> 1) OE backup software (google for it)
    >> 2) copy emails to a folder (click and drag)
    >> 3) copy the store folder to a CD or other computer drive
    >>
    >> If you need detailed instructions for any of the above, just ask :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
    >>

    > One problem I found with option 2 is that if the message has the same
    > name (even though the time and date are different) the latest one
    > tries to overwrite the earlier one copied

    That wouldn't surprise me. Probably a nested folder remedy would be in
    order - file by date sort of system if needed.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 25, 2006