Want to configure primary and secondary routes for up/down stream traffic

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by war_wheelan@yahoo.com, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have two Internet connections one of which has a greater downlink
    speed and the other has a greater uplink speed. They use different IP
    address blocks and I want to use the greater downlink connection as the
    DEFAULT outbound route. If the default route is not available I want
    to use the other connection. Also I want to use the faster uplink
    connection to receive data.

    Details:

    I have a Cisco 2600 series with 3 interfaces and Cisco 3500 series
    switch. The preferred uplink connection connects directly to the
    Internet and I would use these IP addresses on my external VLAN. I
    also have an internal VLAN which I would like to connect the faster
    downlink connection to. The internal VLAN connection is front ended
    with a Linksys router and uses non-routable IP addresses i.e.
    192.168.2.0.

    I want to setup the router with real IP addresses for all three
    interfaces i.e. Internet recognized and I want to connect the internal
    192 front ended network directly into the switch.

    The servers would have real Internet and 192 addresses multi-homes to
    the internal and external VLANs on the switch.

    QUESTION(S):

    Can I set a default route on the router for the directly connected to
    the Internet and a deffault route on the switch for the 192 connected
    network?

    Would this type of conneciton fail over to the direct Internet
    connection if the 192 connection was unavailable?

    Note: We would use Internet DNS entries to force incoming connections
    to the direct Internet connection AND HOPE THAT THE SWITCHES DEFAULT
    ROUTE WOULD CONTROL THE DOWNSTREAM.

    Will this work?

    , Dec 6, 2005

  2. Guest

    After thinking about this a little more, I realize that I can set a
    default route and a persistent route.

    , Dec 8, 2005