    Installed IE8.

    How do I change Outlook Express 6 to open IE8 32 bit browser when I click a
    link in an email message. OE6 runs IE8 64 as default.
    willits, Oct 5, 2009

  2. willits

    John Barnes Guest

    Use the 32-bit version of OE6.

    John Barnes, Oct 6, 2009

  3. willits

    willits Guest

    I don't think there's 2 versions of OE6. I do see it in Program Files and
    Program Files(x86) but either one I run still opens IE864 if I click on a
    link in an email. Must be some way to edit the reg??

    willits, Oct 6, 2009
  4. willits

    Doug Forster Guest

    I'd suggest you dump OE entirely. Your future upgrade choices are:
    Vista 64: Windows Mail replaces OE
    Windows 7: Windows Mail dropped and no replacement

    I've now changed to Mozilla Thunderbird which will import from OE but
    not Windows Mail. I wish I had changed to Thunderbird at the XP stage.
    Thunderbird uses IE 32 bit.

    Cheers
    Doug Forster
    Doug Forster, Oct 7, 2009
  5. willits

    Carlos Guest

    Zootal,
    It is now called Windows Live Mail and is a separate download, not included
    during the OS installation.
    So, Mail is still there, you just have to download it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 7, 2009
  6. willits

    Jim Guest

    Thank you Carlos for the information, can you provide us with a address or
    is it part of Windows 7?

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 7, 2009
  7. willits

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Zootal.

    Extreme? Maybe. But that's the way it is.

    Microsoft was tired of all those complaints about a "bloated" operating
    system, so it removed some of the "bloat". Win7 comes with NO email and NO
    newsreader. There no doubt was also direct and indirect pressure from
    competing companies who wanted to sell more of their mail and newsreader
    products. This results in a smaller disk footprint and lets Win7 install on
    some older, less-capable hardware that could not handle Vista.

    So you can choose whichever applications you like for those functions. If
    you want to stay with Microsoft, you can go to http://download.live.com and
    get Windows Live Mail - and as many of the other Windows Live Essentials as
    you choose - at no cost. Or you can install a third-party application of
    your choice.

    To me, it's like no longer being able to by a new Cadillac with a radio
    already installed. Your GM dealer says you can install any radio you like.
    Or, if you'll just drive around to our service department, we'll install a
    Cadillac radio for free.

    In a little-noticed move in anticipation of this, Microsoft announced that
    they halted development of both OE and WM about 3 years ago - while Vista,
    including WM - was still in beta. As I'm sure you know, OE won't run on
    Vista; WM won't run on anything but Vista. (That is, it's not supported on
    anything else - and it's barely supported on Vista.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Oct 7, 2009
  8. willits

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    See my Reply to Zootal. Download Windows Live Mail - and other Windows Live
    Essentials - at:
    http://download.live.com

    WLM is not JUST for Win7; it will also run in WinXP and Vista.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Oct 7, 2009
  9. willits

    R. C. White Guest

    Hello, again, Jim.

    I just wanted to add that the peer-to-peer support for WLM is at:

    The word "desktop" was a part of the program name in early beta. It was
    removed from the name of the application more than 2 years ago, long before
    RTW, but it lives on in the name of that newsgroup - much to the chagrin of
    MVPs and others who try to help users there.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Oct 7, 2009
  10. willits

    John Barnes Guest

    They could reduce bloat further if they did not include Windows Mail in the
    program files folder on 64-bit systems.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2009
  11. Interesting observation. I hadn't noticed it was there in both Program
    Files and Program Files (x86). I have used Thunderbird since it was
    introduced and have no plans to change.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 7, 2009