Want to avoid having to do a favor: suggestion?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dubbah, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. dubbah

    dubbah Guest

    There is a slight dilemma I want to share with others...my
    neighbor who lives in the front apartment in the same house has
    informed me he and his live-in girlfriend are moving out in a month.
    He asked me he might need a favor from me for which he will pay me, so
    he plans to give me his new number. Actually, I'd rather
    not bother, which I will explain why in a moment. He wants to make dvd
    dubs of videotapes to give a Christmas gifts to his relatives.
    Two weeks ago his girlfriend asked me to get together and talk with him
    :dubbing a music CD (of a music group he knows from 80
    miles away that appeared at a local bar in concert) onto another in
    trade for being allowed to wash/dry clothes with their washer/dryer
    in the basement. I managed to dub a blank dvd for him with the
    music--he didn't exactly like it. Now they feel $20 a month s
    okay to do the wash. I have done my wash outside twice since then and
    have no desire to do it in their machines. First, they have them in a
    room that has a padlock on the door, though I have told them the
    landlord wants the padlock removed since my hot water tank needs to be
    looked at (I have had no hot water for over a month now)... really the
    neihbor and I had a disagreement back
    in July which was rectified but I don't feel the same friendly way,
    since I know they will be moving. Also, he wants to buy his own blank
    dvds and pay me a mere $5 per dub (he also claims he knows someone else
    who can break the copyright of a video (maybe both
    dvd and vhs, or either). Maybe someone can give me a suggestion on how
    to weasle out of this? I told them I would by next week about giving
    them $20 for the month for the wash, but I don't want to feel liable if
    he worries about the padlock being unlocked and stating that it would
    cost if something is taken by the landlord's workers. I also don't want
    to be in the middle in case the washer/dryer would break down while I
    am using either!

    dubbah, Sep 29, 2005

  2. dubbah

    FAQmeister Guest

    "dubbah" <> wrote in message
    > There is a slight dilemma I want to share with others...my
    > neighbor who lives in the front apartment in the same house has
    > informed me he and his live-in girlfriend are moving out in a month.
    > He asked me he might need a favor from me for which he will pay me, so
    > he plans to give me his new number. Actually, I'd rather
    > not bother, which I will explain why in a moment. He wants to make dvd
    > dubs of videotapes to give a Christmas gifts to his relatives.
    > Two weeks ago his girlfriend asked me to get together and talk with
    > him
    >> dubbing a music CD (of a music group he knows from 80

    > miles away that appeared at a local bar in concert) onto another in
    > trade for being allowed to wash/dry clothes with their washer/dryer
    > in the basement. I managed to dub a blank dvd for him with the
    > music--he didn't exactly like it. Now they feel $20 a month s
    > okay to do the wash. I have done my wash outside twice since then and
    > have no desire to do it in their machines. First, they have them in a
    > room that has a padlock on the door, though I have told them the
    > landlord wants the padlock removed since my hot water tank needs to be
    > looked at (I have had no hot water for over a month now)... really the
    > neihbor and I had a disagreement back
    > in July which was rectified but I don't feel the same friendly way,
    > since I know they will be moving. Also, he wants to buy his own blank
    > dvds and pay me a mere $5 per dub (he also claims he knows someone
    > else who can break the copyright of a video (maybe both
    > dvd and vhs, or either). Maybe someone can give me a suggestion on how
    > to weasle out of this? I told them I would by next week about giving
    > them $20 for the month for the wash, but I don't want to feel liable
    > if he worries about the padlock being unlocked and stating that it
    > would cost if something is taken by the landlord's workers. I also
    > don't want to be in the middle in case the washer/dryer would break
    > down while I am using either!

    Dude, don't be so wishy-washy.

    Tell them thanks, but no thanks. That you'll do your laundry elsewhere
    and they'll get their DVDs done elsewhere. When they ask why, say you
    don't want to complicate your life and then just walk away. And don't
    let them drag you into a discussion about it. You don't owe them an
    explanation.

    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Sep 30, 2005

  3. dubbah

    dubbah Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "dubbah" <> wrote in message
    > > There is a slight dilemma I want to share with others...my
    > > neighbor who lives in the front apartment in the same house has
    > > informed me he and his live-in girlfriend are moving out in a month.
    > > He asked me he might need a favor from me for which he will pay me, so
    > > he plans to give me his new number. Actually, I'd rather
    > > not bother, which I will explain why in a moment. He wants to make dvd
    > > dubs of videotapes to give a Christmas gifts to his relatives.
    > > Two weeks ago his girlfriend asked me to get together and talk with
    > > him
    > >> dubbing a music CD (of a music group he knows from 80

    > > miles away that appeared at a local bar in concert) onto another in
    > > trade for being allowed to wash/dry clothes with their washer/dryer
    > > in the basement. I managed to dub a blank dvd for him with the
    > > music--he didn't exactly like it. Now they feel $20 a month s
    > > okay to do the wash. I have done my wash outside twice since then and
    > > have no desire to do it in their machines. First, they have them in a
    > > room that has a padlock on the door, though I have told them the
    > > landlord wants the padlock removed since my hot water tank needs to be
    > > looked at (I have had no hot water for over a month now)... really the
    > > neihbor and I had a disagreement back
    > > in July which was rectified but I don't feel the same friendly way,
    > > since I know they will be moving. Also, he wants to buy his own blank
    > > dvds and pay me a mere $5 per dub (he also claims he knows someone
    > > else who can break the copyright of a video (maybe both
    > > dvd and vhs, or either). Maybe someone can give me a suggestion on how
    > > to weasle out of this? I told them I would by next week about giving
    > > them $20 for the month for the wash, but I don't want to feel liable
    > > if he worries about the padlock being unlocked and stating that it
    > > would cost if something is taken by the landlord's workers. I also
    > > don't want to be in the middle in case the washer/dryer would break
    > > down while I am using either!

    > Dude, don't be so wishy-washy.
    >
    > Tell them thanks, but no thanks. That you'll do your laundry elsewhere
    > and they'll get their DVDs done elsewhere. When they ask why, say you
    > don't want to complicate your life and then just walk away. And don't
    > let them drag you into a discussion about it. You don't owe them an
    > explanation.

    Seems wishy-washy to you? I've lent the woman money in the past, just

    this weekend they got $12 out of me, which I will ask for eventually.
    We were on a friendly basis up to July, since when they moved in
    from second floor apartment next door three years ago. ( I helped
    them
    with their move three years ago) You bet I'm glad they're moving.
    I'll
    never get too friendly with people who live in the same building as
    I ever again, a lesson to be learned.

    dubbah, Oct 5, 2005