    Do yourself a favor and find it for yourself.

    Avant.

    MM<--not kidding

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I've DL and used 20 over the last few days. This one was an accidental
    > find. Do yourself a favor and find it for yourself.
    >
    > Avant.

    That would be well and good, but Avant is not a browser. It is merely an
    extension of Internet Explorer (a shell, if you will). Let's see the
    features:

    Flash Filter (available in Mozilla Firebird)
    Built in Pop Up Stopper (Available and on by default in Firebird)
    Mouse functions (middle click opens new tab, mouse gestures available with
    an extension in Firebird)
    Multi-window browsing (available in every browser, unless you mean MDI, in
    which case Opera has it beat)
    Built in Google Search (Available in Firebird)
    Records cleaner (Available in Firebird)
    IE Compat (I'd really rather not have a security hole like ActiveX around)
    Skins (Available in Firebird)

    Basically, if you are currently using IE, you may like the new shell. If
    you currently use Firebird, this would be a complete waste of a download.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns94341CB86E5A3Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > Basically, if you are currently using IE, you may like the new shell. If
    > you currently use Firebird, this would be a complete waste of a download.

    Basically, Demon, you're correct. And since I have respected your opinion
    for some time ( I usually post under MM^^), I've TRIED, AND TRIED to get
    used to Firebird. I mean, I've DL and installed it, and Mozilla for months,
    and can't seem to like it one damn bit:(

    Now, I HATE to use a M$ product. Which is the reason I've been trying out
    all the rest........I mean *every single one*!

    Yes, it's a shell using the MS engine. But it works SO fine, like Opera
    *used* to work. It's intuitive, it takes the hassle out of surfing,
    and............I'm used to the familiar interface. If it had a stand alone
    engine, I'd BUY the thing, something I wouldn't do for Opera or any other
    right now. Can I (not me, I mean "can one?") make Firebird act like this? In
    any case, with all your time in the comp seat, it may seem simple to *you*.
    Not me, I'm getting too long in the teeth...........

    MM

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> wrote in news:vrbns11b3mgu65
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Can I (not me, I mean "can one?") make Firebird act like this?

    I fail to see why you could not set firebird up as I stated. My girlfriend
    managed to do this by herself, and she is far from a geek. She required my
    assistance to set up a USB CD burner which was basically:
    Plug burner in
    Put CD in drive
    Click "Next" and "Finish" and stuff

    My working theory is if she can set it up, anyone can. I also consider it
    a testimonial to the program with her. She ran into some problem (someone
    else on the machine accidently or purposely removed some files it needed),
    which meant she couldn't use firebird until I had to go and look at why it
    would open, and immediately exit. I said "You can still use Internet
    Explorer until I get home" and she said "No, I'll just wait, it isn't worth
    the hassle without Firebird."

    I may like it because it isn't IE, and it's designed to do things "The
    right way" and not the "Microsoft way", and stuff, but she doesn't give a
    rat's butt about any of that and just thinks it is a more enjoyable web
    surfing experience.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns9434265C230CBWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > I fail to see why you could not set firebird up as I stated. My

    girlfriend
    > managed to do this by herself, and she is far from a geek

    Nice one:).............However, and here's the deal for anyone that works on
    Firebird.............

    Sure, I got the setting to work fine. After all, after about 100 re-installs
    lately, I've got the experience.........I didn't DL the plug-ins, however,
    and the standard skin was fine.

    The *problem*, for me, and for those like me, is that it's not worth the
    trouble to re-learn all the methodology to do stuff that *should* be
    intuitive. Maybe MS uses a better Q group (a crowd that rates various stuff
    for mfg's). Or maybe I've just learned the MS way due to simple repitition.
    But, I think not. I LIKED, and used the old Opera for a long time. It too
    was a great browser. (till they killed it with bloat).

    What I'm saying it this: "From the install, using Mozilla <or Firebird> is
    counter-intuitive. It's a pain to use. I can't see under the hood and don't
    care much. Sure, I'd LIKE to not use M$, like I'd like not to drive a Ford.
    But I'm driving a Ford if walking is the alternative.

    MM

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    I couldn't help myself..........I was thinking about this and decided to
    post to my own post:)

    An analogy:

    I used to build race car engines. I did nice work. I always used the best
    parts, the best machine work, the best assembly. For example, I'd spend $13
    more for chrome moly rings, because they would seat faster and last longer.
    I would spec new rod connecting bolts, better quality, never stretch and
    cause a blown engine. The drivers (buyers) couldn't care less. They only
    cared about how fast they could go, and how much money it cost. *I'd* only
    buy my own stuff, (if it were me buying), but most didn't care much. I
    learned a lot about marketing...........

    The point is this. I've come to believe that Mozilla, Firebird, T-bird, and
    even Linux is built BY geeks FOR geeks. Sure, it's nice to know the stuff
    inside, but the majority will never know, or care......You want people to
    embrace Firebird? Mozilla? Linux? Then take my feedback for what it is:
    Valuable currency. You can't shop for it, you can't buy it much. Your
    *perspective* is wrong.

    Take my previous post. I told you *why* I liked the new *skin* or browser
    and why. I told you why I didn't care much for Firebird........IF the
    builders of this (better under the hood) browser would emulate the one I
    like, and do some research, I guess they would find out:

    Users want an intuitive browser. They want one they can relate to.
    They do NOT want to have to tinker under the hood to make it work. (forget
    DL plug in's, tinkering and all that)
    They have other things to think about. They don't care how *great* it is.
    ASSEMBLE a product that does all the heavy lifting. Make it easy to add-on
    extras. Make a no-brainer product.
    Get some feedback from other class objects. You know, the ones that aren't
    geeks. THIS is your market.
    If you build only for geeks, then these will be your only customers. It's
    too small a base to work.

    Anyway, just some thoughts for wanna-be programmers:)

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Mr. Majestik

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:12:28 GMT, "Mr. Majestik" <>
    wrote:

    >I couldn't help myself..........I was thinking about this and decided to
    >post to my own post:)

    Hey, I finally had to kill file myself ;)

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Nov 15, 2003
  8. Mr. Majestik

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:,
    Mr. Majestik <> wrote these words:

    | I couldn't help myself..........I was thinking about this and decided
    | to post to my own post:)
    |
    | An analogy:
    |
    | I used to build race car engines. I did nice work. I always used the
    | best parts, the best machine work, the best assembly. For example,
    | I'd spend $13 more for chrome moly rings, because they would seat
    | faster and last longer. I would spec new rod connecting bolts, better
    | quality, never stretch and cause a blown engine. The drivers (buyers)
    | couldn't care less. They only cared about how fast they could go, and
    | how much money it cost. *I'd* only buy my own stuff, (if it were me
    | buying), but most didn't care much. I learned a lot about
    | marketing...........
    |
    | The point is this. I've come to believe that Mozilla, Firebird,
    | T-bird, and even Linux is built BY geeks FOR geeks. Sure, it's nice
    | to know the stuff inside, but the majority will never know, or
    | care......You want people to embrace Firebird? Mozilla? Linux? Then
    | take my feedback for what it is: Valuable currency. You can't shop
    | for it, you can't buy it much. Your
    | *perspective* is wrong.
    |
    | Take my previous post. I told you *why* I liked the new *skin* or
    | browser and why. I told you why I didn't care much for
    | Firebird........IF the builders of this (better under the hood)
    | browser would emulate the one I like, and do some research, I guess
    | they would find out:
    |
    | Users want an intuitive browser. They want one they can relate to.
    | They do NOT want to have to tinker under the hood to make it work.
    | (forget DL plug in's, tinkering and all that)
    | They have other things to think about. They don't care how *great* it
    | is. ASSEMBLE a product that does all the heavy lifting. Make it easy
    | to add-on extras. Make a no-brainer product.
    | Get some feedback from other class objects. You know, the ones that
    | aren't geeks. THIS is your market.
    | If you build only for geeks, then these will be your only customers.
    | It's too small a base to work.
    |
    | Anyway, just some thoughts for wanna-be programmers:)

    Very good points, and your comments match my own.

    I tried Mozilla for several months. I wanted to like it, because I
    want to get off the MS bandwagon, but unfortunately found little things
    quite annoying. For example I wanted to be able to sort my subscribed
    newsgroup names into alphabetical order instead of the order I
    subscribed to them. It should be a simple matter, but none of the
    fixes seemed to work. Another annoyance was the views, regardless of
    how I set them they would seem to take on a life of their own and
    change.

    The browser was very good, fast but a little strange in parts. Many
    pages would not render correctly, including my banks internet banking
    page which I used every couple of days. I was forced to use IE for
    some pages, and Mozilla for others, and this became annoying.

    I have not given up on it, and will download and install Firebird again
    in a month or two to try it again - hopefully it will do what I need it
    to then.

    I will also agree with your comments regarding the under the hood
    workings. I have "been there - done that" with the fiddling and
    tinkering to get software to work. At this stage I want to be able to
    install and run any software I install with the minimum of configuration
    needed, and much as I hate to admit it, MS has that side of it right
    with the configuration of IE and Outlook Express.

    Sorry Mozilla/Firebird fans - I do like the product, it just has a
    little way to go in my opinion.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Mr. Majestik

    MrToad Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message
    >> I fail to see why you could not set firebird up as I stated. My

    > girlfriend
    >> managed to do this by herself, and she is far from a geek

    > Nice one:).............However, and here's the deal for anyone that
    > works on Firebird.............
    >
    > Sure, I got the setting to work fine. After all, after about 100
    > re-installs lately, I've got the experience.........I didn't DL the
    > plug-ins, however, and the standard skin was fine.
    >
    > The *problem*, for me, and for those like me, is that it's not worth
    > the trouble to re-learn all the methodology to do stuff that *should*
    > be intuitive. Maybe MS uses a better Q group (a crowd that rates
    > various stuff for mfg's). Or maybe I've just learned the MS way due to
    > simple repitition. But, I think not. I LIKED, and used the old Opera
    > for a long time. It too was a great browser. (till they killed it with
    > bloat).
    >
    > What I'm saying it this: "From the install, using Mozilla <or
    > Firebird> is counter-intuitive. It's a pain to use. I can't see under
    > the hood and don't care much. Sure, I'd LIKE to not use M$, like I'd
    > like not to drive a Ford. But I'm driving a Ford if walking is the
    > alternative.
    >
    > MM

    The "methodology" isn't more intuitive in IE, [since you've learned to
    use a browser fron M$ from the start], everything else that doesn't do
    things like IE doesn't "feel" right.
    It *does* take some getting use to, but effort is worth it IMO.
    I don't use Mozilla's news group client though, I'm "used" to XNews and I
    won't use anything else...

    I've only found two pages that I can't read using Mozilla, [1.4], one is
    Windows Update, [thanks M$!], the other concerns an Adobe-based page that
    uses 3rd party plug-ins.
    I can live with that.

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 15, 2003
  10. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> wrote in

    > The *problem*, for me, and for those like me, is that it's not worth
    > the trouble to re-learn all the methodology to do stuff that *should*
    > be intuitive. Maybe MS uses a better Q group (a crowd that rates
    > various stuff

    Examples of things that need to be relearned?

    Type into URL bar <enter>
    Control + N = New Window
    Click link means follow link

    What is different?

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003
  11. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in news:bp510o$reb$1
    @otis.netspace.net.au:

    > The browser was very good, fast but a little strange in parts. Many
    > pages would not render correctly, including my banks internet banking
    > page which I used every couple of days. I was forced to use IE for
    > some pages, and Mozilla for others, and this became annoying.

    There is nothing that can be done by the Firebird team to fix this. Some
    banks code their sites only for IE (screw standards or compatibility).
    Capital One went as far as taking extreme measure to block anything other
    than Netscape 4.x (which sucks) and IE 5+ by doing:
    If Mozilla > 4.0
    if not document.layers <block code>
    if Mozilla >= 5.0 and not document.all <block code>

    Only browsers that are Mozilla 4.0 and higher that support Netscape's
    Layers tag or 5.0 and up that support document.all (a propriatery MS thing)
    are allowed in. Capital One said there was "Security Issues" with Mozilla,
    but refused to talk to anyone at Netscape or Mozilla.org about these issues
    and continued to tell people "We are working with Netscape for a fix". The
    entire fix to making the browser work without security issues (that never
    existed) was to simply remove the browser blocking code.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003
  12. Mr. Majestik

    Michael-NC Guest

    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in news:bp510o$reb$1
    > @otis.netspace.net.au:
    >
    > > The browser was very good, fast but a little strange in parts. Many
    > > pages would not render correctly, including my banks internet banking
    > > page which I used every couple of days. I was forced to use IE for
    > > some pages, and Mozilla for others, and this became annoying.

    > There is nothing that can be done by the Firebird team to fix this. Some
    > banks code their sites only for IE (screw standards or compatibility).
    > Capital One went as far as taking extreme measure to block anything other
    > than Netscape 4.x (which sucks) and IE 5+ by doing:
    > If Mozilla > 4.0
    > if not document.layers <block code>
    > if Mozilla >= 5.0 and not document.all <block code>
    >
    > Only browsers that are Mozilla 4.0 and higher that support Netscape's
    > Layers tag or 5.0 and up that support document.all (a propriatery MS

    thing)
    > are allowed in. Capital One said there was "Security Issues" with

    Mozilla,
    > but refused to talk to anyone at Netscape or Mozilla.org about these

    issues
    > and continued to tell people "We are working with Netscape for a fix".

    The
    > entire fix to making the browser work without security issues (that never
    > existed) was to simply remove the browser blocking code.

    All I see at Cap1 is a requirement for 128 bit encrypted browser.

    BTW, Firebird and /or mozilla is just not as good as IE. IMO, of course.

    Michael-NC, Nov 16, 2003
  13. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:BCztb.2873$tP4.328743
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > All I see at Cap1 is a requirement for 128 bit encrypted browser.

    That is what they changed. They previously stated that you needed either
    Netscape 4.08 through 4.7x, or IE 5+. Firebird and Mozilla are both 128-
    bit enabled browsers, and also don't have the same SSL exploits in IE, yet
    they were denied access intentionally.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 16, 2003
  14. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns943487A1DEA6CWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > Examples of things that need to be relearned?

    You've heard but a sampling of what I've told you. Many more won't post for
    a variety of reasons. I'd like to give you specifics, knowing you mean well
    and would give good answers, but I can't. It's kinda like this:

    When I moved to Guatemala, they said I needed to think in a different way. I
    said, "What ways?"

    They said, "We can't explain, it's too xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (non translateable),
    but you'll grow into it."

    The team needs to do some study, and get over their arrogance......sorry.

    MM

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 17, 2003
  15. Mr. Majestik

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:41:20 GMT, "Mr. Majestik" <>
    wrote:

    >DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns943487A1DEA6CWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    >> Examples of things that need to be relearned?
    >>

    >You've heard but a sampling of what I've told you. Many more won't post for
    >a variety of reasons. I'd like to give you specifics, knowing you mean well
    >and would give good answers, but I can't. It's kinda like this:
    >
    >When I moved to Guatemala, they said I needed to think in a different way. I
    >said, "What ways?"
    >
    >They said, "We can't explain, it's too xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (non translateable),
    >but you'll grow into it."
    >
    >The team needs to do some study, and get over their arrogance......sorry.
    >
    >MM

    I haven't been following this discussion well, mainly because I
    haven't used the various software.

    But I would like to point out something. I actually have work to do.
    When some techie comes to me and says "Oh! Use this sofftware, because
    its better because XYZ", 99% of the time I'm thinking "That's fine for
    you. Your job is to fiddle with software. My job is to *use*
    software." So, all software comes to me with extreme skepticism.

    I am willing to commit about 3% of my time to fiddling with systems
    and software. The other 97% has to go to work.

    I don't really care if it's better. The real question is whether it is
    expedient.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Nov 17, 2003
  16. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> wrote in

    > The team needs to do some study, and get over their arrogance......sorry.

    See, this is why nothing will get "fixed". I see no problems with the
    interface. Control + N is new window. Control + L lets me type a new URL.
    Alt + F4 closes the window. This is all exactly the same as IE.

    The toolbar in IE goes:
    Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, Home
    In Firebird:
    Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop, Home

    If you can quantify what feels different, I will check and see if there is
    perhaps an extension or skin that fixes that and suggest it, or file a
    request for enhancement bug on Firebird to get it changed. Otherwise,
    nothing can be done to make the browser any better, as you have given
    nothing to fix.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns9436AB9E84A4Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > See, this is why nothing will get "fixed". I see no problems with the
    > interface. Control + N is new window. ......yada, yada, yada.....

    No,THIS is why nothing will get "fixed" Some fine soul just now posted his
    apprehension about new software, and wouldn't have if someone (anyone) would
    listen!

    One more time for the audience........

    Check out the new *skin*. I assume you have...........WHY do I (we) like it
    so much? Read the previous posts (mine, especially). This is the way WE
    WANT THE BROWSER TO FUNCTION. That's it. Nothing more. No conspiracy, no
    MS lovers, we all hate them. But, this is what WE want. Turn Mozilla into
    THAT, and allow it to install just as easily, and, WOW, everyone loves the
    app. Simple as that. Really.

    How about the gang (the ones that make this thing work) do THAT (nothing
    more), and then see what will happen? Can this be done? That was the
    entirety of my previous (many post) question, Demon.

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mr. Majestik" <> wrote in

    > Check out the new *skin*. I assume you have...........WHY do I (we)

    I have no idea what new skin you are talking about. I use (and always
    have) used the default firebird skin

    > like it so much? Read the previous posts (mine, especially). This is
    > the way WE WANT THE BROWSER TO FUNCTION. That's it. Nothing more. No

    It does, and has for the past 2 or 3 versions

    > conspiracy, no MS lovers, we all hate them. But, this is what WE want.
    > Turn Mozilla into THAT, and allow it to install just as easily, and,
    > WOW, everyone loves the app. Simple as that. Really.

    Turn it into WHAT!? It is visually very similar to IE, renders pages
    very similar to IE (though usually faster), and it's default install
    automatically does things like block unwanted popups and the like.

    > How about the gang (the ones that make this thing work) do THAT
    > (nothing more), and then see what will happen? Can this be done? That
    > was the entirety of my previous (many post) question, Demon.

    Can /what/ be done? What I basically read out of your post is you don't
    like it because it isn't IE. There is no functional difference that has
    been pointed out. You say:
    "
    What I'm saying it this: "From the install, using Mozilla <or Firebird>
    is
    counter-intuitive. It's a pain to use. I can't see under the hood and
    don't
    care much. Sure, I'd LIKE to not use M$, like I'd like not to drive a
    Ford.
    But I'm driving a Ford if walking is the alternative.
    "

    I want examples of how it is a pain to use. You give me back:

    "
    I'd like to give you specifics, knowing you mean well
    and would give good answers, but I can't. It's kinda like this:
    <example about moving to a new country>
    "

    So I ask one more time, what exactly does not fit your needs as a simple,
    easy to use browser?

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 17, 2003
  19. Mr. Majestik

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns943619285C323Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > So I ask one more time, what exactly does not fit your needs as a simple,
    > easy to use browser?

    Ok, I'll bite. (I have no idea why, though:) You don't want to compare it to
    Avant's, right? Well, that's EXACTLY what I want. Simple install.
    (not......just unzip to the folder of your choice), I LOVE the mouse
    buttons, I love the tabbed windows, (you open them, and switch whenever you
    want), I dont' CARE about the keyboard shorts, I can't remember my shoe size
    most days.....

    I like the skin. although any will do. I LIKE the group for favorites. It's
    easy to get organized. Built in Google. Doesn't everyone use it? Stop the
    pops, clears history on closing. What else............

    The bottom bar shows what's happening. What else............Nothing else
    really. IF Mozilla would just do THAT (above) and not hassle me with plug
    ins, DL's, tinkering, hassles............then it too would be fine.

    Is this what you mean?

    Mr. Majestik, Nov 17, 2003
  20. Mr. Majestik

    Thor Guest

    I'm no going to jump into the firebird vs. IE argument, because I've never
    used firebird, so I can't take an informed view on it. However, if you want
    lots of the features that make alternative browsers attractive, but still
    want to use IE, I would suggest trying "MyIE2", which is an alternative
    shell for IE. I'm completely sold on it. It's free, a very small download,
    and works very well, doesn't overwrite any of your IE files, and no need to
    install a completely different browser package to get the built-in pop up
    suppression, tabbed browsing, and a host of other useful features. It also
    has some handy plugins of it's own, like a TinyURL button. Simply click on
    the button, and it will instantly take you to the TinyURL site where your
    shortened URL is waiting already. Quite cool.

    Thor, Nov 17, 2003