    Anyone familiar with this bug?

    Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    continues to do it.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
    > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

    > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > continues to do it.

    it may not be the mouse, but a particular driver that the mouse uses...
    and an identical mouse would, I assume, use the same driver... tried a
    different mouse?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004

  3. It seems like Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300 was when "Craig Sutton"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
    >Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    >its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

    Mine does it sometimes depending on the surface it's on and how I hold
    it, ie. if I hold it slightly off the surface, my cursor goes slowly
    moving.

    Try a blank A4 sheet of paper and see if that helps.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Craig Sutton

    Paul Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
    > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
    >
    > Anyone familiar with this bug?
    >
    > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > continues to do it.

    I used to have this problem when I had a Nokia ADSL modem installed.

    Removed the modem, problem went away.

    Strange but true.

    Paul, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

    mouse
    > > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen

    on
    > > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

    > > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > > continues to do it.

    > it may not be the mouse, but a particular driver that the mouse uses...
    > and an identical mouse would, I assume, use the same driver... tried a
    > different mouse?

    replaced the driver..with the latest oh well something to do on the weekend
    while watching the cricket..

    Craig Sutton, Nov 18, 2004
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > It seems like Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300 was when "Craig Sutton"
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    > >Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

    mouse
    > >Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    > >its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

    > Mine does it sometimes depending on the surface it's on and how I hold
    > it, ie. if I hold it slightly off the surface, my cursor goes slowly
    > moving.
    >
    > Try a blank A4 sheet of paper and see if that helps.

    Its walking on its own... no help needed. Has been cleaned used on different
    surfaces ect even replaced by another mouse the same model. Still does it.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Craig Sutton

    max@max Guest

    Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.

    Same problem .........

    max@max, Nov 19, 2004
  8. Craig Sutton

    John Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:26:27 +1300, "max@max"
    <max@nospam_zl2max.gen.nz> wrote:

    >Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.

    Update the version of driver?
    Try a different brand mouse / hence load a different driver...
    Anything in the event log?

    John, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Craig Sutton

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
    > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
    >
    > Anyone familiar with this bug?
    >
    > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > continues to do it.

    Do you get the problem when windows isn't running (eg under linux or when
    running DOS apps with mouse support from a floppy)

    -[Myth]-, Nov 20, 2004
  10. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

    mouse
    > > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen

    on
    > > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
    > >
    > > Anyone familiar with this bug?
    > >
    > > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > > continues to do it.

    > Do you get the problem when windows isn't running (eg under linux or when
    > running DOS apps with mouse support from a floppy)

    Have the unit here now for fixing. Maybe a clash between OFFICE and service
    pack 2. Have to check it

    Craig Sutton, Nov 20, 2004
  11. On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:26:27 +1300, "max@max"
    <max@nospam_zl2max.gen.nz> wrote:

    >Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.
    >
    >Same problem .........
    >

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
    >> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
    >> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
    >>
    >> Anyone familiar with this bug?
    >>
    >> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    >> continues to do it.

    HP Pavilion with the HP optical mouse also doing the same thing
    tis weird
    pointer (usually) starts wandering in an upward diagonal towards the
    upper left corner of the screen
    picking up the mouse stops it

    Rimmer:
    It would be like putting your wedding tackle into a lions mouth whilst
    flicking its love spuds with a wet towel. Total insanity.
    - from "Rimmerworld"

    Robin Halligan, Nov 21, 2004
  12. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:26:27 +1300, "max@max"
    > <max@nospam_zl2max.gen.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.
    > >
    > >Same problem .........
    > >

    > >Craig Sutton wrote:
    > >> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

    mouse
    > >> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen

    on
    > >> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone familiar with this bug?
    > >>
    > >> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
    > >> continues to do it.

    > HP Pavilion with the HP optical mouse also doing the same thing
    > tis weird
    > pointer (usually) starts wandering in an upward diagonal towards the
    > upper left corner of the screen
    > picking up the mouse stops it

    Have you put on OFFICE service pack 3 as well?

    Craig Sutton, Nov 21, 2004
  13. On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:18:18 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:26:27 +1300, "max@max"
    >> <max@nospam_zl2max.gen.nz> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.
    >> >
    >> >Same problem .........

    >mouse

    >on

    >> HP Pavilion with the HP optical mouse also doing the same thing
    >> tis weird
    >> pointer (usually) starts wandering in an upward diagonal towards the
    >> upper left corner of the screen
    >> picking up the mouse stops it

    >Have you put on OFFICE service pack 3 as well?

    not that i recall
    I have office XP but i don't remember doing the service packs

    Robin Halligan, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Craig Sutton

    Lynn Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:18:18 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message

    >>mouse

    >>on

    >>>HP Pavilion with the HP optical mouse also doing the same thing
    >>> tis weird
    >>> pointer (usually) starts wandering in an upward diagonal towards the
    >>>upper left corner of the screen
    >>> picking up the mouse stops it

    >>Have you put on OFFICE service pack 3 as well?

    > not that i recall
    > I have office XP but i don't remember doing the service packs

    Has anyone managed to solve this problem yet? I have friends with a
    fairly new XP machine which has been suffering the same problem ever
    since they bought it about a year ago. They are not connected to the
    internet and have probably not installed any service packs. I do have
    the SP2 that came with the PC world recently. Should I try installing
    this for them?
    TIA Lynn

    Lynn, Nov 22, 2004